U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 04:31 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,036,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
...96.0% of residents speak Spanish at home (18% speak English very well, 82% speak English less than very well).

...Just how many of these would be legal immigrants? I'd venture a guess but the attacks would start.
My family speaks Spanish at home on occasion, does that make us "illegal"?...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 08:07 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,209,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
My family speaks Spanish at home on occasion, does that make us "illegal"?...
Re-read my post that isn't what I said or the stats that I quoted.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:15 PM

15,756 posts, read 32,634,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Blood View Post
There 4 million Hispanics in Los Angeles county. So how is over 700,000 illegals = only 15% ?
There are 4.7 million hispanics in LA county. 700,000 divided by 4,700,000 equals ..14.8936173%

YOu don't do math for a living do you?

Old 06-04-2011, 06:02 PM

210 posts, read 171,865 times
Only 18% of Hispanics in East Los Angeles claim to speak English very well, which is way below the national average. Which is proof that most Hispanics are not assimilating into mainstream America.

I can't imagine a predominantly Anglo WASP city like Boise, Idaho for example only having 18% of it's population knowing how to speak English very well.

Old 06-04-2011, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nostalgia Critic View Post
Only 18% of Hispanics in East Los Angeles claim to speak English very well, which is way below the national average. Which is proof that most Hispanics are not assimilating into mainstream America.

I can't imagine a predominantly Anglo WASP city like Boise, Idaho for example only having 18% of it's population knowing how to speak English very well.
Nope. Roughly 54% speak english well. And for that area English is the secondary language. YOu think 54% of Boise speak a second language.

Old 06-04-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Nope. Roughly 54% speak english well. And for that area English is the secondary language. YOu think 54% of Boise speak a second language.
However,

English speakers - Foreign born:
2.0% of residents of East Los Angeles speak English at home.
96.0% of residents speak Spanish at home (18% speak English very well, 82% speak English less than very well).

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/races/races...#ixzz1OMG9AyBs

Old 06-04-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
However,

English speakers - Foreign born:
2.0% of residents of East Los Angeles speak English at home.
96.0% of residents speak Spanish at home (18% speak English very well, 82% speak English less than very well).

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/races/races...#ixzz1OMG9AyBs
Yup that is the foreign born.

What is it you don't understand? Less than half the population of East LA is foreign born. The rest mostly speak English.

Reading for content is a useful skill.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Yup that is the foreign born.

What is it you don't understand? Less than half the population of East LA is foreign born. The rest mostly speak English.

Reading for content is a useful skill.
I have never denied any of the stats provided in that link. Maybe you should read my posts for content it might be a useful skill for you.

54% is barely a slight majority of native born. That still leaves a large number (46%) who don't speak English very well. How can that be if they are native born? Perhaps a non-assimilation factor?

Old 06-04-2011, 09:57 PM

3,871 posts, read 3,186,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Blood View Post
Can't really tell with the data given. East LA has Mexican American families that go way back and are just as American as anyone else.

The data shown with this link is inconclusive. It's estimation of likely "gay" households is also seriously flawed.

I would probably guess that Maywood, Santa Ana, Bell, Huntington Park and other S. California cities have an equal or even higher % of Illegal Aliens. Some of these places have a high concentration of Central American Illegals.

El Sereno, E. LA, Highland Park etc.. have a predominant Hispanic population and many of those families go back generations have fought and served with distinction in WW1, WW2, Korea and Vietnam ( on up to the present day).

So it would be hard to get an accurate estimate of Illegal Aliens there. What E. LA does have is a high number of Gangbangers going way back, but that is a bit off topic.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:03 PM

3,871 posts, read 3,186,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nostalgia Critic View Post

That 18% figure is ridiculous, maybe among street vendors on Whittier Blvd. but even that is doubtful.

Granted it's easy to to tell when you hear an American ( of Hispanic ancestry) speak with an E. LA accent, but that can also be said of Anglo Americans from Boston. I'm firmly opposed to Illegal immigration but the stats on that city-data link are really questionable.

I've had friends and co workers in the past that lived there and I it's not exactly Beverly Hills but those stats are really flawed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or