Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 10:53 PM

950 posts, read 1,514,769 times

Advertisements

99% of the population in East Los Angeles is Hispanic and a whopping 87% of households in East Los Angeles speak Spanish. Those are definitely 2 red flags that East Los Angeles is a hot bed for illegal immigrants.

Talk about a very culturally unamerican city when 87% of all households do not speak English. So much for assimilation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 06:48 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,834,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Blood View Post
99% of the population in East Los Angeles is Hispanic and a whopping 87% of households in East Los Angeles speak Spanish. Those are definitely 2 red flags that East Los Angeles is a hot bed for illegal immigrants.

Talk about a very culturally unamerican city when 87% of all households do not speak English. So much for assimilation.
I dont know about your numbers[citing sources is helpful] , but this area of Los Angeles was founded by hispanics and has remained as such...how does that make them "unamerican"?

You are confusing being hispanic and "not-speaking" english as Un-American.

Are you familiar with the Amish and Mennonite communites in America...These are of largely one ethinic group with many non-english speakers.

Quote:
The Mennonite communities in America work the land and lead simple lives, with no cars, electricity or any other modern conveniences. All of this is an expression of their understanding of the Christian faith, and they guard their privacy extremely jealously, totally isolated from the outside world

Are these Americans? Should they be allowed to live in America as they choose?

To look at others and classify them as "unamerican" ...Isnt that Un-American?

Old 06-01-2011, 06:53 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,314,848 times
Quote:

I suspect that much of Miami is like that also but probably not as many illegals. That isn't what I would call a melting pot. We are losing that concept.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
I dont know about your numbers[citing sources is helpful] , but this area of Los Angeles was founded by hispanics and has remained as such...how does that make them "unamerican"?

Are you familiar with the Amish and Mennonite communites in America...These are of largely one ethinic group with many non-english speakers.

Sure the Spanish occupied much of the southwest but that was long ago and since then we have become an English speaking country. Most Mexicans are not pure blooded Spanish anyway.

As for the Mennonites they only occupy a tiny area of PA and Ohio (I believe) and are here legally, unlike the Mestizo Mexicans (many who are here illegally) are all over the U.S. now. Kind of like comparing apples to oranges.

I have no problem with Mexicans or other Hispanics who are here legally who respect our immigration laws and who have assimilated out in mainstream.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:06 AM

73 posts, read 113,759 times
Quote:

You can't assume that just because they are hispanic and don't speak english, they are illegal. Look at Miami. Many people who are here legally and have chosen not to learn english and assimilate. If you ask me, East Los Angeles still looks like it's part of the USA, whereas Miami looks like an extension of Cuba.

Would be interesting to see what East LA would look like if Mexicans had been given free entry and all the perks that Cubans in Miami got. I bet East LA would NOT look like Miami today. Many Mexicans want to assimilate, but live in fear due to their illegal status.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:13 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,269,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post

The Amish aren't forcing us to press 1 for English or 2 for Pennsylvania Dutch.

The Amish aren't costing us billions every year in welfare.

The Amish aren't stealing our jobs.

Sorry, no sale.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Sure the Spanish occupied much of the southwest but that was long ago and since then we have become an English speaking country. Most Mexicans are not pure blooded Spanish anyway.

As for the Mennonites they only occupy a tiny area of PA and Ohio (I believe) and are here legally, unlike the Mestizo Mexicans (many who are here illegally) are all over the U.S. now. Kind of like comparing apples to oranges.

I have no problem with Mexicans or other Hispanics who are here legally who respect our immigration laws and who have assimilated out in mainstream.
lets stick to the topic...hispanics is ELA. Not all of America...ELA.

ELA has remained the same as it was when founded.
Hispanic ...not Spanard. Not mestizo, Not illegal alien...Hispanic. Unless you have what the OP didnt provide[demographic information] lets stick to what we "know". Show how they are "unamerican". This is the claim made by the OP.

I used the comparison of a group in America that has remained as they were when their community was founded. Whether they are a "small" group is irrelevent. The fact that the remain as they were as for all these year is the point...Not their numbers in the US.

Stick to the topic...ELA is "unamerican"[per OP].

Old 06-01-2011, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaLandLarry View Post
You can't assume that just because they are hispanic and don't speak english, they are illegal. Look at Miami. Many people who are here legally and have chosen not to learn english and assimilate. If you ask me, East Los Angeles still looks like it's part of the USA, whereas Miami looks like an extension of Cuba.

Would be interesting to see what East LA would look like if Mexicans had been given free entry and all the perks that Cubans in Miami got. I bet East LA would NOT look like Miami today. Many Mexicans want to assimilate, but live in fear due to their illegal status.
I may be wrong but I believe most Cuban-Americans do speak English it is just that many choose Spanish over English in conversation. I believe that most Mexican-Americans also speak English but many also choose Spanish over English. As for the illegal alien kind I think there is enough data out there to prove that most of them don't speak English at all or very little.

You are correct that Miami does look like an extension of Cuba, however their are many places in the U.S. that do resemble Mexico also.

Yes, living in fear goes along with committing any illegal act as well it should. I am all for ending the "wet, foot, dry foot" policy that Cubans enjoy however those from south of our border are not being discriminated against in our legal quotas for immigration either. It is just that there are more that want to come here than we can accomodate in jobs and resources.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:22 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,490,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaLandLarry View Post

We dont want illegal aliens so they can go home and NOT be afraid.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
The Amish aren't forcing us to press 1 for English or 2 for Pennsylvania Dutch.

The Amish aren't costing us billions every year in welfare.

The Amish aren't stealing our jobs.

Sorry, no sale.
Are the residents of East Los Angeles?

I know its tempting to express one views at ever oppurtunity...but can you at least stay on topic?

Show what you have posted has to do with the resident of East Los Angeles...

You are confusing the residents of this city with illegal aliens...Are you uncapable to make that distinction?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration