Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2011, 10:09 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,487,523 times

Advertisements

"
Lofgren said farmers are worried that their work force is about to disappear. They said they want to hire legal workers and U.S. citizens, but that it's nearly impossible, given the relatively low wages and back-breaking work.

Wages can range from minimum wage to more than $20 an hour. But workers often are paid by the piece; the faster they work, the more they make. A steady income lasts only as long as the planting and harvesting seasons, which can be measured in weeks."

Ag Industry Faces Labor Woes in Immigration Debate (http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/dpp/news/immigration/APX-USImmigrationAgriculture-Workers_64703134-06042011 - broken link)

I dont see a probleme with Americans doing the work. Many people I know would be happy to get 10 an hour or more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 11:51 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,863,356 times
I've seen plenty of crybaby farmers whining on TV that they need Illegal Alien labor as they stand in front of their mansions, with luxury cars and countless acres of land.

Yes they need to pay substandard wages, not invest in technology and expect the rest of America to subsidize their illegal help to maintain huge profits.

It's a free market society for Americans and LEGAL immigrants, if you can't compete or run your business legitimately then GTFO !!!

I would rather pay more for produce harvested legally and/or import it in than to be taxed to help support Illegal aliens that these farmers illegally hire.

Why not bring in agriculture help from Eastern Europe, Asia or Africa LEGALLY on a seasonal basis and withold half their wages to be payed to them on return to their homelands. That way you wouldn't have their friends and relatives sneaking in large numbers straining the infrastructure.

I bet you wouldn't see them protesting for fictitous rights and making idiotic demands like the Reconquistas.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:06 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,379,893 times
There is a program that allows them to bring in needed workers. I don't feel bad that they can't exploit a desperate population anymore.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:15 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,289,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikCortez View Post
"
Lofgren said farmers are worried that their work force is about to disappear. They said they want to hire legal workers and U.S. citizens, but that it's nearly impossible, given the relatively low wages and back-breaking work.

Wages can range from minimum wage to more than $20 an hour. But workers often are paid by the piece; the faster they work, the more they make. A steady income lasts only as long as the planting and harvesting seasons, which can be measured in weeks."

Ag Industry Faces Labor Woes in Immigration Debate (http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/dpp/news/immigration/APX-USImmigrationAgriculture-Workers_64703134-06042011 - broken link)

I dont see a probleme with Americans doing the work. Many people I know would be happy to get 10 an hour or more.

Where they can't find American workers there are unlimited H-2A visas for legal immigrant workers. No excuses!

Old 06-05-2011, 08:27 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,565,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Where they can't find American workers there are unlimited H-2A visas for legal immigrant workers. No excuses!
Oh - but there is one big catch to the H2A visa program. They have to first attempt to employ Americans AND they have to pay legal wages and benefits. Follow safety laws for their employees - all that.

But yes there are no caps on H2A visas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration