U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2011, 09:42 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
I'm aware of the Chinese Exclusion Act thank you. We were only talking about white European immigrant groups. We didn't put limits on immigration until the Immigration and Nationality Act of 1952, long after these groups were immigrating enmasse to the USA. There hasn't been a significant mass of immigration of refugees coming from Europe since the aftermath of World War II with only a couple of exceptions brief exceptions. So the real test of whether or not setting limits on immigration into the USA works -- the entire concept is facing it's biggest test ever along the Mexican border. And it's failing spectacularly. Put a number up and say "only 1 million people get in this year" and just expecting that everyone is going to sit tight and wait patiently because we ask nicely -- that's what isn't working. It doesn't help that the Mexican border is has more gaping holes in it than Swiss Cheese.
The problem is the lack of enforecment of our immigration laws at the border and within our country's borders. The problem is all the entitlements they get here and the job magnet. Setting limits on immigration works with all of the above put into play and the magnets removed. Anything less by allowng all to come who want to would be a disaster and we would become a nation without soveirgn borders and total chaos.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:01 AM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,084,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
This isn't about white culture. It is about American culture. I suppose Mexicans would be clapping their hands if millions of Chinese invaded their country and changed it from a Hispanic one culturally to Asian instead and Mexicans would have to learn Mandarin. I just love the hypocricies of the pro-illegals.

I don't find my white nor my American culture to be superior to any others. I just expect our country's borders to be respected and our culture not diluted or changed by an invading force. Once again, the stench of the race card is in the air.
What exactly do you consider American culture?

Old 06-03-2011, 11:05 AM

7,384 posts, read 3,849,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
The problem is the lack of enforecment of our immigration laws at the border and within our country's borders. The problem is all the entitlements they get here and the job magnet. Setting limits on immigration works with all of the above put into play and the magnets removed. Anything less by allowng all to come who want to would be a disaster and we would become a nation without soveirgn borders and total chaos.
We've never seen it work before so we have no basis for assuming that it's going to work on the Mexican border. Our holding up the sign "only 1 million get in" has yet to actually work in the face of a massive influx of immigrants. No we haven't plugged the holes. No the US government not very enthusiastic about enforcement. But we have no idea if it's going to work once you fix all those.

My prediction: You do all of those things and it slows down illegal immigration only by a tiny bit.

And let's be honest, we're wide open. Completely shut off the flow of illegals coming in along the 2000 mile Mexican border and they'll just start going around. So now what? Build a coastal wall spanning our 20,000 miles of coastline? It sounds like it's going to get expensive and plenty weird.

The closest comparable program we've seen this is the War on Drugs. The War on Drugs has utterly failed to stop Americans from using illicit drugs and has probably created more problems than it solved. Pretty much a replay of Prohibition. If drug smugglers can consistently get their drugs into the USA, what's stopping them from smuggling human beings into the USA?

Old 06-03-2011, 11:06 AM

3,493 posts, read 2,385,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
At a time that infectious diseases weren't understood?...

And it only took us until the 90's for us not to turn away anyone with Down Syndrome...

That's the 1990's...
Do you really think they didn't know diseases like TB were contagious?

It doesn't matter anyway. That was then and this is now. We have every right in the world to turn people away if they will clearly be a burden on the taxpayers. This is country not a hospital.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:38 AM

32,798 posts, read 30,025,534 times
Quote:
We've never seen it work before so we have no basis for assuming that it's going to work on the Mexican border. Our holding up the sign "only 1 million get in" has yet to actually work in the face of a massive influx of immigrants. No we haven't plugged the holes. No the US government not very enthusiastic about enforcement. But we have no idea if it's going to work once you fix all those.

My prediction: You do all of those things and it slows down illegal immigration only by a tiny bit.

And let's be honest, we're wide open. Completely shut off the flow of illegals coming in along the 2000 mile Mexican border and they'll just start going around. So now what? Build a coastal wall spanning our 20,000 miles of coastline? It sounds like it's going to get expensive and plenty weird.

The closest comparable program we've seen this is the War on Drugs. The War on Drugs has utterly failed to stop Americans from using illicit drugs and has probably created more problems than it solved. Pretty much a replay of Prohibition. If drug smugglers can consistently get their drugs into the USA, what's stopping them from smuggling human beings into the USA?
If we had no watched border everyone of those that was deported plus who can guess how many others would be here permanently.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:39 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times
Quote:

I disagree. Why would they continue to come en masse if there are no jobs, welfare, birthright citizenship, education or healthcare benefits for them? Most would stay home. No one is suggesting that all illegal immigration would end but it would put a huge dent in it.

As for border security, if worse comes to worse we will have to put the military on the border with orders to shoot because it isn't only those looking for work trying to enter but the drug cartels, criminals and terrorists. Your suggestion that we just throw in the towel isn't what made America great and strong.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:10 PM

9,243 posts, read 7,096,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
You are quote citizenship (naturalization) requirements, what about immigration rules?...
It was 80% British and 15% African so there was no need for Immigration laws.
Citizenship was restricted so we did have rules & laws to be American.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
What exactly do you consider American culture?
English is a good start.

And anything originating in America that we export to other countries.
Such as sports, Disney, home coming etc....

Old 06-03-2011, 12:31 PM

9,972 posts, read 14,017,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
English is a good start.

And anything originating in America that we export to other countries.
Such as sports, Disney, home coming etc....
Disney and homecoming are my culture?!

Forget it then, I guess I'm not a real American...

But there's plenty of Mexicans who probably love Disney movies and baseball.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Disney and homecoming are my culture?!

Forget it then, I guess I'm not a real American...

But there's plenty of Mexicans who probably love Disney movies and baseball.
What country is disney & home coming from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration