Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 02:20 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,162,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
I've no doubt you're 100% right -- and that is certainly nothing new in US history. I do think that if you take the approach of controlling the flow rather than stopping it you can help fluency in English as well. Make it in their best interests to learn to speak English fluently. You're holding out the carrot of citizenship and no longer having to worry about being deported at a moment's notice. Learning the language suddenly becomes a really, really good idea. And it also likely becomes a mass-movement. Spanish speaking only communities would undoubtedly help each other out learning English.

I expect that there will be a lot of English as a Second Language communities for a long time to come, especially in border states. But you can at least make things better than they are now.

Throwing up a metaphorical dam with no spillway and expecting that you've now stopped the flow of water completely: That's just idiocy. Won't work.
We're not allowed to; that is the Fed's job.
And these people do not worry about deportation. That seems to be the least of their fears. Not going to happen when you live in a sanctuary city and ICE has been thrown out of the jails because of discrimination.

Why our supermarkets here have a dedicated Western Union person manning the counter on Sundays with pre-printed forms for wiring money to Mexico.
All they need to do is fill in the to/from and amount boxes. And it's all done on a cash basis.

Old 06-02-2011, 02:38 PM

2,788 posts, read 5,078,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
The Latin American Invasion of the United States

All American Nyc..Im hispanic. and proud.
Who paved my way to be here, not you, it was my grandmother, my ancestors, My sons and daughters will take their heritage with them and be proud to be brown.
This is my Latin country,...and we are multiplying....

Old 06-02-2011, 02:41 PM

915 posts, read 1,185,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Can this arguement be any sillier? What "language" is "Irish" if not "English"? Can you please explain how the "Irish" language is different from the "English" language besides an accent?

Irish is a gaellic language that is native to Ireland, not at all similar to English. I don't know how common its usage was during the peak Irish immigration of the 1800's, but these days it's not as widely used as English.

The main difference between Irish English and American English is that the phrase "good crack" has a totally different meaning.

Old 06-02-2011, 02:57 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,517,939 times
yes Mexico is such a dump that the richest man in the World happens to be Mexican while all of your teens love Cacncun on Spring Break!

Old 06-02-2011, 03:01 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,165,723 times
Quote:
yes Mexico is such a dump that the richest man in the World happens to be Mexican while all of your teens love Cacncun on Spring Break!

Since we pay so much to take care of illegal immigrants and their children, shouldn't he at least be considerate and take up some of the slack himself? Right? Spread the wealth?

Old 06-02-2011, 03:08 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,158,725 times
Quote:
Can this arguement be any sillier? What "language" is "Irish" if not "English"? Can you please explain how the "Irish" language is different from the "English" language besides an accent?
In point of fact many irish speak/spoke gaelic.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:08 PM

15,083 posts, read 20,403,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
The Latin American Invasion of the United States
I wonder why they are coming here?

[all the jobs are in China...]

Old 06-02-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Ironic that the richest man on the world is...........from mexico. In regards to cancun, only a moron would send their kids to cancun in this day and age of the drug wars.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:11 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,364,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
I wonder why they are coming here?

[all the jobs are in China...]
Because it's easier to cross the Rio Grande and Sonora desert than 6,000 miles of Pacific Ocean.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
pictures like that make me laugh every time.. it's THESE kids who aren't aware of the "true history".
In point of fact they're half right. We did take the southwest from mexico. Now they want it back...........and they're getting it back and then some.

http://www.raconline.org/newsletter/web/images/spring06_map.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration