U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Do You Have Illegal Immigrants As Neighbors ?
YES 29 46.03%
NO 34 53.97%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-06-2011, 07:22 AM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,722,338 times
Reputation: 22159

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cat View Post
How can you be sure that your neighbors are not illegal Canadians?
For one thing there aren't 30 million Canadians living here illegally. The odds are that people will know illegals from certain countries more than from others.

In fact with so many illegals here, it would be hard for people not to know some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-06-2011, 07:36 AM
 
Location: Sierra Vista, AZ
16,116 posts, read 20,155,449 times
Reputation: 8204
Since everyone on my block is either in the military, retireed from the military, or a military dependent, I would assume not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2011, 07:45 AM
 
1,448 posts, read 2,659,209 times
Reputation: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
NYC is a sanctuary city. I hate that.
According to this article there are high rates of unemployment and poverty among native born Latinos youth in NYC. Remove the illegals and put some of those citizens back to work.

Latino Youth in New York City
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2011, 07:56 AM
 
167 posts, read 207,029 times
Reputation: 56
I doubt it. But, I'm sure there are illegal immigrants up in the neighborhood that's 3 miles north of me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2011, 07:58 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,152,437 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Springs Gator View Post
According to this article there are high rates of unemployment and poverty among native born Latinos youth in NYC. Remove the illegals and put some of those citizens back to work.

Latino Youth in New York City
It's amazing that more Latino citizens aren't opposed to this illegal invasion based on how it is affecting their own citizen group. Short term loss, long term gain in numbers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2011, 08:20 AM
 
1,448 posts, read 2,659,209 times
Reputation: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
It's amazing that more Latino citizens aren't opposed to this illegal invasion based on how it is affecting their own citizen group. Short term loss, long term gain in numbers?
From that article

The first row confirms that Mexican males, most of whom
are immigrants, are primarily interested in work. Their rate
of employment (68.1%) is far higher than any other group,
which helps to explain their low school enrollment. Relatively
few Mexicans are unemployed; it appears that young Mexi-
cans seeking work have greater ease in finding it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2011, 09:15 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,152,437 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Springs Gator View Post
From that article

The first row confirms that Mexican males, most of whom
are immigrants, are primarily interested in work. Their rate
of employment (68.1%) is far higher than any other group,
which helps to explain their low school enrollment. Relatively
few Mexicans are unemployed; it appears that young Mexi-
cans seeking work have greater ease in finding it.

I was addressing your remark below. Native born Latinos are not immigrants legal or illegal. They would be citizens and yes I agree, illegals need to be removed so that citizens can have those jobs regardless of their ethnicity.

"According to this article there are high rates of unemployment and poverty among native born Latinos youth in NYC. Remove the illegals and put some of those citizens back to work".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2011, 09:47 AM
 
Location: Dalton Gardens
2,798 posts, read 5,363,879 times
Reputation: 1570
The Department of Fair Housing has certain regulations in place which are intended to help landlords from renting to illegal immigrants without being discriminatory. However, in order to get around this road block the Mexican consulates issue Matriculas Consulares to illegal/undocumented Mexicans, which can then be used by the illegal as a form of identification when leasing an apartment or house. Naturally, when the landlord/property owner/management company phones the consulate they will be given a positive response instead of a negative one.

To get around the issue of proving legal income an illegal simply provide a typed or handwritten letter from their employer, who is, of course, paying them under the table. The letter will state how much they are paying the applicant and a phone number to contact them and verify. In quite a few cases the employer or a church representative will appear wih the illegal and declare that they will be sending the rent payments via check or money order for the applicant, negating the need for the illegal to provide bank statements.

Also, legally, only ONE of the applicants for the apartment/house has to be an American citizen or legal resident immigrant in order for a family or group of them to live in the apartment.

I learned a lot about Fair Housing law and the trickery of illegals while employed as a resident, on-site apartment manager in Van Nuys, CA.

It is nearly impossible to keep them out. One method that works, and is legal, is to require that they pay up to double the usual security deposit due to the fact that they have no verifiable credit history. My employer found that this greatly helped to discourage them from going through with the application procedure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2011, 09:48 AM
 
Location: SouthCentral Texas
3,855 posts, read 4,087,243 times
Reputation: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I was addressing your remark below. Native born Latinos are not immigrants legal or illegal. They would be citizens and yes I agree, illegals need to be removed so that citizens can have those jobs regardless of their ethnicity.

"According to this article there are high rates of unemployment and poverty among native born Latinos youth in NYC. Remove the illegals and put some of those citizens back to work".
Unprovable assertion, keep believing in fairlytales...

No one other that the most anti-illegal aliens blogs pass out this fanciful theory. Lets be clear, this is the most unfounded theory the Anti-illegal extreme minority spews. That and... a boprder fence can be built along the entire US-Mexico border. Thats a good one too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2011, 09:54 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,152,437 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
Unprovable assertion, keep believing in fairlytales...

No one other that the most anti-illegal aliens blogs pass out this fanciful theory. Lets be clear, this is the most unfounded theory the Anti-illegal extreme minority spews. That and... a boprder fence can be built along the entire US-Mexico border. Thats a good one too.
I see, so if illegal aliens were removed from this country those jobs wouldn't be filled by citizens or even legal immigrants? Your assertion is the one that is a fairy tale in view of the fact that there are millions of unemployed Americans right now.

No one has proposed a fence all along the entire Mexican border. What we were promised was one along 700 miles of border in the most porous areas. Let's stick with the facts, thanks.

Last edited by chicagonut; 06-06-2011 at 09:59 AM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top