U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Have Illegal Immigrants As Neighbors ?
YES 29 46.03%
NO 34 53.97%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 03:02 PM

16,116 posts, read 20,148,778 times

Advertisements

If we Jail those who provide jobs for illegals we can turn this around
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 03:09 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nostalgia Critic View Post
According to the U.S census, only 0.8% of American citizens speak no English at all.
Languages of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So if someone in the U.S does not know how to speak English, there is indeed a very good chance that the person is here illegally.
Agreed. However, I know some at our senior center that have been here for decades legally (probably citizens even) and don't speak a lick of English.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:16 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,010,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Hmm, I'm not going to dig up your old posts but if I recall correctly you were pretty adamant about an illegal who never came here legally in the first place not being able to use marriage to gain legal status in this country.
The marriage to a U.S. citizen in itself provides no immigration status. An I-601 petition must be filed (highly recommended to have the advice of an immigration lawyer or someone else familiar with the I-601 process), and at the appropriate time, the alien spouse must (generally) return to their home country for the waiver to be adjudicated (the time varies mostly by country or region, with the U.S. Consulate in Juarez having a pilot program for expedited processing being tested). In some instances the couple will be aware that an I-601 would be unsuccessful, so they will not file.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:30 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,010,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Yes they can

Puerto Rico is not a state, but a territory. HAVE YOU HEARD OF UNITED STATES
But the inhabitants are still citizens of the United States...

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
...To be a citizen you must know English. Its a requirement.

You fail
There are language waivers for the elderly that are naturalizing. A U.S. citizen can return from being raised abroad as well. I'm personally aware of Native Americans living on the large reservations in the Southwest that are only fluent in their native dialect.

Babies are U.S. citizens without knowing English...

If you are alleging it is a requirement, source the reference...

Old 06-06-2011, 03:43 PM

19,899 posts, read 15,287,998 times
In the beach area where i live in San Clemente no not at all. But one of our rental properties in the I.E. does have a family that are legal. But in saying that i beleive that they also have some family members who are not here legally living with them. For gosh sakes the house is only 3,500 sq ft, a pretty decent size house yes. But the have at least 15 people living in this home, i know some are not here legally. The thing known to do among Mexicans is sending what ever amount of money they can back home to Mexico to realitives. They have told us this, and they do intend to retire back home in Mexico. I know at least 6 are here legally, as for the other nine, i believe they are not here legally. They are a decent nice family, but illegally is still illegally.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:02 PM

210 posts, read 169,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Agreed. However, I know some at our senior center that have been here for decades legally (probably citizens even) and don't speak a lick of English.
Which countries are they from ?

Old 06-06-2011, 04:17 PM

254 posts, read 520,292 times
Quote:
According to the U.S census, only 0.8% of American citizens speak no English at all.
Languages of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So if someone in the U.S does not know how to speak English, there is indeed a very good chance that the person is here illegally.
There are many legal immigrants that will know how to speak perfect English but will still choose to speak their own native language at home... Learning English does not make you forget other languages.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Which countries are they from ?
Most are from Mexico. One from Argentina.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowsky View Post
There are many legal immigrants that will know how to speak perfect English but will still choose to speak their own native language at home... Learning English does not make you forget other languages.
You're correct and that never bothers me. What bothers me is when they can speak English but choose not to out in public. I don't care what they speak at home and no one is suggesting that they forget their native tongue.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:31 PM

21,026 posts, read 15,233,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Since everyone on my block is either in the military, retireed from the military, or a military dependent, I would assume not.
Sounds like my neighborhood

I did have quite a few illegal neighbors when I was still in NJ.
Ironic, isn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or