Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Have Illegal Immigrants As Neighbors ?
YES 29 46.03%
NO 34 53.97%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 12:35 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,847,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Thats true, but All Americans can speak English. Not speaking English is a good chance they are illegal.
Logic fail, all Americans can't speak English. Not speaking English does not mean a "good chance" someone is "illegal". Ready for some examples?:

- Babies
- Mutes
- Elderly naturalized citizens
- Some Puerto Rician U.S. citizens
- Some elderly Native America citizens
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 12:46 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
It's more of a way for them to have documentation to "cause pause" for anyone trying to take them into custody. The ID is used correctly: Proving they are a dependent of that servicemember. I also advise how they can start a process to "legalize" their spouse.

I think in almost all that I was aware of the marriage was already established. One in particular was not, and I advised (as that has to be the start anyway) for them to marry as soon as possible, so the would-be wife could get a dependent's ID card. All of the experience I gained in navigating the immigration system I freely advised to others (in particular a servicemember has access to a contracted support organization that will provide free certified translations of foreign documents like birth and marriage certificates).

I'm only telling them of the petitioning process that is set up, again in almost all cases I am corresponding with the U.S. citizen side of the relationship. Also be aware that I deliberately keep my own spouse and family unaware of any interaction I have with any other couple in that status. My wife has never had any interaction with someone that is without immigration status in the United States, nor assisted in any way to have someone come or stay in the United States illegally.
It is my understanding that one can't fix their status once in this country illegally by being married to a U.S. citizen even if that citizen is in the military. Don't they have to go back to their homelands and petition to come here the right way? I mean, you yourself have said being married to a citizen does not give an illegal any special considerations.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:59 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,847,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
It is my understanding that one can't fix their status once in this country illegally by being married to a U.S. citizen even if that citizen is in the military. Don't they have to go back to their homelands and petition to come here the right way? I mean, you yourself have said being married to a citizen does not give an illegal any special considerations.
Any U.S. citizen can petition to "legalize" their spouse to Legal Permanent Resident status. To do so, they have to prove that they cannot live in their spouse's home country. The violations of the spouse are compared to the hardships of the U.S. citizen. Unless the case of a visa overstay or some other extraordinary qualification, the spouse has to return to their home country for the case to be adjudicated.

Most petitions are successful, and there are Legal Permanent Residents and naturalized U.S. citizens that at one point were in violation of U.S. immigration law...

Old 06-06-2011, 01:19 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,668,081 times
Quote:
Logic fail, all Americans can't speak English. Not speaking English does not mean a "good chance" someone is "illegal". Ready for some examples?:

- Babies
- Mutes
Yes they can

Puerto Rico is not a state, but a territory. HAVE YOU HEARD OF UNITED STATES

To be a citizen you must know English. Its a requirement.

You fail

Last edited by All American NYC; 06-06-2011 at 01:30 PM..

Old 06-06-2011, 01:24 PM

195 posts, read 250,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
That's just the thing. Kind of puts that "stolen land" argument to rest when they are found over 2,000 miles away from the southwest, doesn't it? Maybe they need a map or a compass so they won't get lost.
True, Staten Island was not "stolen" from the Aztecs.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:00 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
Unprovable assertion, keep believing in fairlytales...

No one other that the most anti-illegal aliens blogs pass out this fanciful theory. Lets be clear, this is the most unfounded theory the Anti-illegal extreme minority spews. That and... a boprder fence can be built along the entire US-Mexico border. Thats a good one too.
The only fairytale is the idiotic belief that low skilled high school drop out from Latin America who don't speak English are going to somehow rescue the economy. Or that granting them amnesty will make someone who earns very little pay taxes. Or that Americans want them here.

Take your pick. The only people who want illegals are stupid pols, greedy employers and hispanic lobby groups. That does not include most Americans and never will.

Standing in favor of illegals -- let alone standing in favor of granting them access to the American welfare system as far too many pols want -- is really nothing more than an extremist position that puts one in the position of standing up for foreign nationals rather than American interests. Being in favor of enforcing our border and discouraging low skilled migrants makes one a mainstream American.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:05 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,668,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
The only fairytale is the idiotic belief that low skilled high school drop out from Latin America who don't speak English are going to somehow rescue the economy. Or that granting them amnesty will make someone who earns very little pay taxes. Or that Americans want them here.

Take your pick. The only people who want illegals are stupid pols, greedy employers and hispanic lobby groups. That does not include most Americans and never will.

Standing in favor of illegals -- let alone standing in favor of granting them access to the American welfare system as far too many pols want -- is really nothing more than an extremist position that puts one in the position of standing up for foreign nationals rather than American interests. Being in favor of enforcing our border and discouraging low skilled migrants makes one a mainstream American.
I totally agree.

No American wants their job taken, let alone pushing 1 for English and school over crowding.
Just look at American roads. Who wants 30 million + illegals?

Old 06-06-2011, 02:08 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,949 times
Quote:

- Babies
- Mutes
In short a minority of people. Most Americans can, do and should speak English. If you don't you are probably a) a visitor or b) an illegal.

Why do the pro-illegals constantly persist in their desire to deny basic logic and obvious facts? Worse, to irritate most Americans on this issue by insisting that the rational desire that someone who wants to live here learn the dominant language is some sort of bad person?

It's bad enough that people brazenly violate our immigration laws. Why the constant demands that Americans must not only ignore such arrogant acts . . . but go out of our way to both pay more taxes and learn another language to support such criminals?

Illegals are here voluntarily. No one invited them. No one held a gun and forced them to move here. Why can't they (and their lunatic supporters) do a single thing to ask them not to be a pain in the rear to the citizens of the society they demand to join?

If you come here learn English before you get here. At the very least don't live here more than a few months without acquiring basic English fluency.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:09 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
Any U.S. citizen can petition to "legalize" their spouse to Legal Permanent Resident status. To do so, they have to prove that they cannot live in their spouse's home country. The violations of the spouse are compared to the hardships of the U.S. citizen. Unless the case of a visa overstay or some other extraordinary qualification, the spouse has to return to their home country for the case to be adjudicated.

Most petitions are successful, and there are Legal Permanent Residents and naturalized U.S. citizens that at one point were in violation of U.S. immigration law...
Hmm, I'm not going to dig up your old posts but if I recall correctly you were pretty adamant about an illegal who never came here legally in the first place not being able to use marriage to gain legal status in this country.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:34 PM

195 posts, read 250,525 times
Quote:

- Babies
- Mutes
According to the U.S census, only 0.8% of American citizens speak no English at all.
Languages of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So if someone in the U.S does not know how to speak English, there is indeed a very good chance that the person is here illegally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration