U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Do You Have Illegal Immigrants As Neighbors ?
YES 29 46.03%
NO 34 53.97%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-05-2011, 04:49 PM

210 posts, read 29,728 times
Default Do Any Of You Have Illegal Immigrants As Next Door Neighbors ?

I suspect that I do. Across the street from me there is a 3 bedroom house that is shared by 9 people. And I never hear them speak a single word of English.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 06:26 PM

1,421 posts, read 660,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nostalgia Critic View Post
I suspect that I do. Across the street from me there is a 3 bedroom house that is shared by 9 people. And I never hear them speak a single word of English.
I used to live in barrios where many people spoke Mexican Spanish. And many of them were illegal cause they startd to realy go away when 1070 was passed.

Old 06-05-2011, 06:37 PM

17,250 posts, read 13,385,245 times
With 12-30 million here it is amazing at how they thumb their noses at us with impunity. The chance that you have illegal neighbors is quite good. They have no fear. Ice won't touch them and BP is out of jurisdiction.

They have won the immigration lotto. As far as they are concerned you can't touch them. They abuse the social service network, get paid off the books and pay little in taxes. Sucks to be us huh?
You've officially adopted people without even the right of naming them.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:01 PM

3,871 posts, read 3,388,267 times
Nope none in my neighborhood. There's only one Hispanic family in my entire neighborhood in fact but I know their legal because they have cars (you need to be a legal resident to have a driver's license, and a legally registered car in PA) and I've heard them all speak English.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:36 PM

14,085 posts, read 16,413,594 times
Not everyone that speaks another language is illegal.

We have many neighbors that are not US citizens, from all over Europe, Asia, and especially India. They are employees of Microsoft here on work visas. No hispanics though we see a bunch of Spanish speakers standing in front of the Home Depots looking for work. Seems like if they were illegal they would be easy pickings for Homeland Security & Border patrol.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
With 12-30 million here it is amazing at how they thumb their noses at us with impunity. The chance that you have illegal neighbors is quite good. They have no fear. Ice won't touch them and BP is out of jurisdiction.

They have won the immigration lotto. As far as they are concerned you can't touch them. They abuse the social service network, get paid off the books and pay little in taxes. Sucks to be us huh?
You've officially adopted people without even the right of naming them.
So you think the real number of illegals in this country is closer to 30 million than it is to the so-called "official" number that is put out there at 11 million ?

Old 06-05-2011, 07:39 PM

4,113 posts, read 1,912,765 times
nope.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:04 PM

17,250 posts, read 13,385,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nostalgia Critic View Post
So you think the real number of illegals in this country is closer to 30 million than it is to the so-called "official" number that is put out there at 11 million ?
Does the Census count people in Canyons? Do you realize how many people that live near the border don't live in incorporated areas? Ever heard of Colonias?
Colonias FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)

Please tell me how you think that number is accurate.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Does the Census count people in Canyons? Do you realize how many people that live near the border don't live in incorporated areas? Ever heard of Colonias?
Colonias FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)

Please tell me how you think that number is accurate.
I don't think the "official" number is accurate either. I was just curious if you think the real number is closer to 30 million, that is all.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:24 PM

47,586 posts, read 34,395,844 times
I definitely have them as neighbors. And yes, I believe the number is at least 30 million and it's a very rapidly growing population and they aren't all from Mexico.

When you have a number of families living in one house and no one can speak English, chances are they are here illegally. There are H2A visa holders who are here legally and don't speak English but they have to be paid legal wages and you won't see that extreme crowding.

Recently here there was a mobile home fire - 18 people living in one household, most of them related but not all. I've actually seen the inside of certain low rent apartments where one family resides in the one bedroom and floor space is rented out by the night, week, weekend, month, and people who pay more get the couches, those who pay less get to sleep on a chair and those who pay the least get floor space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration