U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-15-2011, 11:48 PM
 
951 posts, read 619,242 times
Reputation: 89

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Just out of curiosity do you know anything at all about the history of American immigration?



Anything?
I know a little.


Quote:
Because if you did you'd know that those groups largely immigrated LEGALLY during the second great wave of immigration. That happened roughly from 1880 to 1920.
Yeah and still the Chinese weren't allowed to emigrate via the Chinese Exclusion Act.

The Immigration Act of 1924 was first suggested by people like Madison Grant who was a eugenicist and was responsible for one of the most famous works of scientific racism to date. He didn't want the Southern Europeans here for obvious reasons. In fact proponents sought to "maintain the racial preponderance of the basic strain on our people and thereby to stabilize the ethnic composition of the population". David Reed said Southern and Eastern Europeans arrive sick and starving and therefore less capable of contributing to the American economy, and unable to adapt to American culture.

Sounds like people's sentiments in this very thread.

Quote:
The law was also different back then. Back then if you couldn't make it here economically you left.
I'm too lazy to dig up pictures of immigrants at soup kitchens during the Great Depression. I'm sure you've seen them.


Quote:
Go read a history textbook, stop defending criminals and learn the difference between legal immigrants and illegal immigrants.
mkay

 
Old 06-16-2011, 12:04 AM
 
3,493 posts, read 2,398,657 times
Reputation: 2345
Quote:
Originally Posted by huddledmasses View Post
I know a little.


Yeah and still the Chinese weren't allowed to emigrate via the Chinese Exclusion Act.

The Immigration Act of 1924 was first suggested by people like Madison Grant who was a eugenicist and was responsible for one of the most famous works of scientific racism to date. He didn't want the Southern Europeans here for obvious reasons.


I'm too lazy to dig up pictures of immigrants at soup kitchens during the Great Depression. I'm sure you've seen them.


mkay
In other words you have nothing. Thanks for playing!

There are over a billion people in China. Why would we grant them all permission to move here?

Asking people to learn English, obey our immigration laws and not demand welfare subsidies from American taxpayers is not racism. To imply otherwise is to demean the word and insult real victims of racism.

You want to be my grandmother? Great. Play by her rules. Wait your turn, learn the language and pay your taxes. Don't demand we learn your language because you are too lazy to learn ours after voluntarily moving here. Don't ask us to pay your medical bills. Don't skip the line. Don't demonize Americans particularly if you want to become one.

In short be guest and not an invader. We're generous people but we're not stupid. And yeah some of us actually know something about history . . .
 
Old 06-16-2011, 12:07 AM
 
951 posts, read 619,242 times
Reputation: 89
Yeah I mean I guess I got nothing. The Chinese Exclusion Act wasn't enacted for racist reasons despite all the information available saying that was in fact, exactly the reason it was enacted. Also, those racist dudes in 1924 studying the science of race purity and stuff pushing for the act were just looking out for the country's economy. Yup.
 
Old 06-16-2011, 12:12 AM
 
3,493 posts, read 2,398,657 times
Reputation: 2345
Quote:
Originally Posted by huddledmasses View Post
The Immigration Act of 1924 was first suggested by people like Madison Grant who was a eugenicist and was responsible for one of the most famous works of scientific racism to date. He didn't want the Southern Europeans here for obvious reasons. In fact proponents sought to "maintain the racial preponderance of the basic strain on our people and thereby to stabilize the ethnic composition of the population". David Reed said Southern and Eastern Europeans arrive sick and starving and therefore less capable of contributing to the American economy, and unable to adapt to American culture.

Sounds like people's sentiments in this very thread.
So what?

That statement has nothing to do with contemporary immigration issues. Like most people here I don't care about anyone's skin color. I don't care if the majority of illegals are brown, black, red or polka dotted. I care about not being asked to welcome people who violate American laws, don't speak English and need subsidies to continue to afford to stay here.

You have yet to make a compelling case why I shouldn't. About eighty percent of all illegals are from a single ethnic group. Less than half have a high school diploma. Most do not speak English. Most Americans don't benefit because they are here. Poll after poll shows we want them to leave. Our own underclass would be better off if they were finally thrown out.

Yelling racism at anyone who dares disagree with you still doesn't change those facts.
 
Old 06-16-2011, 12:17 AM
 
3,493 posts, read 2,398,657 times
Reputation: 2345
Quote:
Originally Posted by huddledmasses View Post
Yeah I mean I guess I got nothing. The Chinese Exclusion Act wasn't enacted for racist reasons despite all the information available saying that was in fact, exactly the reason it was enacted. Also, those racist dudes in 1924 studying the science of race purity and stuff pushing for the act were just looking out for the country's economy. Yup.
Again. So what?

You're still ignoring the facts. Immigrants at the turn of the century were expected to learn English, obey American immigration laws and fill jobs that we needed to fill. If they couldn't make it here they were firmly told to go home.

Why the hell should the rules be any different today?


Again yelling racism is not the trump card you seem to believe it is. You're still not making any case at all in favor of massive low skilled non English speakers from a single ethnic group. Let alone in the depths of a recession.
 
Old 06-16-2011, 12:20 AM
 
951 posts, read 619,242 times
Reputation: 89
Most immigrants didn't speak English when they came here. If you are claiming otherwise your knowledge of history is very skewed. Their kids however assimilated just fine just as kids in our schools system now.

Illegal immigrants don't qualify for all these welfare items you are talking about unless they have a kid who is an American citizen. Then their kid qualifies for some things. Despite all the fear-mongering on this site, they come to work, not commit crimes, not "rob our healthcare", not "live on our food stamps".

I already posted links showing that the majority of economists agree they are a net benefit on our economy. This effects you.

If the only thing you care about, as you claim, is them breaking the law coming here why not advocate immigration reform allowing them easier paths to legally enter? There are obviously jobs available or they wouldn't be coming. That indicates there is an economic need for them.
 
Old 06-16-2011, 12:24 AM
 
951 posts, read 619,242 times
Reputation: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
So what?

That statement has nothing to do with contemporary immigration issues. Like most people here I don't care about anyone's skin color. I don't care if the majority of illegals are brown, black, red or polka dotted. I care about not being asked to welcome people who violate American laws, don't speak English and need subsidies to continue to afford to stay here.

You have yet to make a compelling case why I shouldn't. About eighty percent of all illegals are from a single ethnic group. Less than half have a high school diploma. Most do not speak English. Most Americans don't benefit because they are here. Poll after poll shows we want them to leave. Our own underclass would be better off if they were finally thrown out.

Yelling racism at anyone who dares disagree with you still doesn't change those facts.
You missed other posters statements about not wanting the Mexicans skewing our countries demographics, infiltrating or diminishing our culture or something like that, etc. if you are trying to make this claim still. I mean, it's like an exact echo of what I stated above.

Oh wait, didn't you post something about us having to learn their language or something?

Quote:
Don't demand we learn your language because you are too lazy to learn ours after voluntarily moving here
Yup, you did. Are you all mad because you have to push #1 for English? Awwwwwwwwww the pot calling the kettle lazy. You poor thing.
 
Old 06-16-2011, 12:31 AM
 
3,493 posts, read 2,398,657 times
Reputation: 2345
Quote:
Originally Posted by huddledmasses View Post
Most immigrants didn't speak English when they came here. If you are claiming otherwise your knowledge of history is very skewed. Their kids however assimilated just fine just as kids in our schools system now.
Illegal is not the same as legal. Legal immigrants, BTW, did not expect interpreters back then nor did they start to whine when elected officials did not speak Yiddish or Italian.

Quote:
Illegal immigrants don't qualify for all these welfare items you are talking about unless they have a kid who is an American citizen. Then their kid qualifies for some things. Despite all the fear-mongering on this site, they come to work, not commit crimes, not "rob our healthcare", not "live on our food stamps".
The rationalization of criminal behavior by illegals always annoys me. All an illegal has to do to get access to welfare is give birth. Why should anyone get a benefit from breaking our immigration laws?

And why should they get to come here to work? What part of we have a huge recession and NO jobs do you and the illegals not get? I don't care why someone breaks the laws. I care that they don't break them in the first place.

Quote:
I already posted links showing that the majority of economists agree they are a net benefit on our economy. This effects you.
That's your opinion. That is not backed up in fact. Again Americans do not benefit from having lots of high school drop outs who don't speak English. If there were benefits Latin American countries would welcome them home not shove them here. You may not understand or care how you get hurt economically but I do.

Quote:
If the only thing you care about, as you claim, is them breaking the law coming here why not advocate immigration reform allowing them easier paths to legally enter?
Because we don't need high school drop outs who don't speak English here? As has been pointed out to you multiple times grant them legal status and all you do is grant them even more access to the American welfare state.

I have no desire to pay more taxes so Mexico's underclass come here in even greater numbers.
 
Old 06-16-2011, 12:37 AM
 
Location: Oklahoma(formerly SoCalif) Originally Mich,
13,387 posts, read 16,267,788 times
Reputation: 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I can vouch for that. I am simply amazed how the price of groceries has gone up including produce, fruit, etc. Before the housing bubble burst homes were selling for twice as much as they are today while all these illegals were monopolizing construction jobs. Where was the savings?

I totally agree with your last sentence but the PC, bleeding hearts and ethnocentrics don't give a damn. They have their own sinister agenda and it doesn't include what is best for this country or its citizens.
The only prices I've seen go down were "Roll Backs" at Walmart. Which only go down after they've gone up more than once.

The only time food prices go down is when they're about to reach the expiration date.
 
Old 06-16-2011, 12:37 AM
 
3,493 posts, read 2,398,657 times
Reputation: 2345
Quote:
Originally Posted by huddledmasses View Post
You missed other posters statements about not wanting the Mexicans skewing our countries demographics, infiltrating or diminishing our culture or something like that, etc. if you are trying to make this claim still. I mean, it's like an exact echo of what I stated above.

Oh wait, didn't you post something about us having to learn their language or something?

Yup, you did. Are you all mad because you have to push #1 for English? Awwwwwwwwww the pot calling the kettle lazy. You poor thing.
Sixty percent of all legals are Mexican so they're getting called out on it. Eighty percent of all illegals are Latino. Mexican president Calderon openly tells us that we have to welcome his needy underclass. Far too many Latino leaders including my very own idiot senator seem to care more about benefitting illegals and their raza than they do about making America a better place for all Americans.

But go ahead. Call Americans lazy racists who have to nerve not to learn Spanish. Better yet. Run on that platform and see how far you get. It's always amazing to me that people who clearly hate many Americans are so anxious to create more of us. I suppose it's okay just as long as those particular Americans are saints from South America instead of evil Europeans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top