U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 07:16 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,152,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
There is no way with any certainty that the woman can be determined to be an illegal alien...

Language use, current location of spouse, lack of job, lack of insurance, and welfare use do not collectively define immigration or citizenship status...

Barring a time machine and mind scanner, you can't even verify that the girl was hearing or translating correctly...
So why do you care so much if someone is suspected of being an illegal alien under certain cirumstances along with some very compelling evidence? It is as though you want to jump to their defense every time just like some others in here. It is as though you have a personal stake in this issue.

Last edited by chicagonut; 06-08-2011 at 07:17 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 06-08-2011, 07:27 AM

6,465 posts, read 7,555,950 times
Quote:
There is no way with any certainty that the woman can be determined to be an illegal alien...

Language use, current location of spouse, lack of job, lack of insurance, and welfare use do not collectively define immigration or citizenship status...

Barring a time machine and mind scanner, you can't even verify that the girl was hearing or translating correctly...
Ha-ha.... You would make an excellent defense attorney if you are not already one! LOL!

Old 06-08-2011, 08:52 AM

3,855 posts, read 4,086,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
So why do you care so much if someone is suspected of being an illegal alien under certain cirumstances along with some very compelling evidence? It is as though you want to jump to their defense every time just like some others in here. It is as though you have a personal stake in this issue.
why do you ask the intention or reason a person has that disagrees with you? Why cant you just debate the issue...with out getting all-up-in a person business?

Old 06-08-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
why do you ask the intention or reason a person has that disagrees with you? Why cant you just debate the issue...with out getting all-up-in a person business?
Because it is a fact that citizens who have an ethnic tie to illegals will defend them ad naseum. Even down to picking apart even the smallest details of negative talk about them. Since when isn't it alright in here to ask why a person has a certain stance on illegal immigration? IBM Museum even started a whole topic asking that very same question.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:14 AM

5,302 posts, read 4,011,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
So why do you care so much if someone is suspected of being an illegal alien under certain cirumstances along with some very compelling evidence?...
The information is third-hand. It is an overheard conversation translated from Spanish to English by a "half-Mexican" girl, then relayed here. She wasn't described as "suspected", "possible", or "probable", but rather as a known illegal alien. None of the conditions (if even understood correctly) specifically determines that she is an "illegal alien".

Let's try to be as clear as possible...

Old 06-08-2011, 12:00 PM

884 posts, read 585,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
You really need to hang out in front of an ER and see the cases coming in. Most of the cases aren't ER worthy. The Illegals use the ER as their primary physician.
The above statement is 100% true. Also, another poster stated a definition of an emergency, and to that definition I agree on most of it. In the ER we must assess the patient or do what is generally called an MSE or Medical Screening Exam, within a reasonable amout of time, based on the standard of practice in the United States.

Texan had asked if an emergency can be evaluated from triage, to that I say yes and no. Example 1: person comes in with bleeding finger. No other symtoms etc, that is not a life or death emergency. Example 2: someone comes in complaining of chest pain, not easy to diagnose without further testing. 1AngryTaxPayer is correct in that illegals use the ER as a clinic because they know they can't be turned down.

The Federal Law known as EMTALA, states that any person coming to the ER must have an MSE to determine the severity of the complaint. Also, should an organization want to receive Federal funding ie medicare, they must see anyone who comes through the doors. Since about 70% of an institutions funds come from medicare all will choose to see the patient. Ditchlights we do try and see if every person who comes in without insurance can qualify for medicare/medical. And yes some hospitals write off millions a month because illegals don't qualify. That is one reason some hospitals have shut their ER. The bleeding a facility takes is at times to much. One last thing is as we don't have the time or resources to call ICE on the illegals. And if we don't treat people and they leave and die and can prove that they died because the ER didn't treat them, well the lawsuits would be atrocious.

If our country can stop the onslaught of illegals then the problem is solved. But in the meantime, I would like the EMTALA law to be changed so that if the ER determines NO LIFE THREATENING EMERGENCY on a patient we should be able to send them packing, with no reprecussions. Just about every person working in the hospital system (at least the hundreds I have talked to over the years) is sick of the entitlement illegals seem to display, as well as their abuse of the ER. And yes it is easy to determine their legal status when they are admitted. Getting real old treating tummy aches and cold's all day.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:18 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,456,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
If an illegal goes to a hospital to have a baby or to treat an injury, why are they not taken into custody after they are treated. I recognize that the hospital cannot refuse them treatment, but what happens afterwards? Do they just release them and pass the bill to the taxpayers? The mission has already been accomplished (Anchor baby dropped). Is ICE contacted at all? How does this work? If I walked into an emergency room bleeding without identification and all I said was "No speka englash", what would I experience?

How about with obtaining a drivers liscense? How de we issue them to known illegals. The Department of Transportation is a federal agency. Do they not uphold our laws?

How do states expect to be able to enforce immigration policy if they can't even take care of business under these two circumstances. Everyday I see posts on this forum about what we can do to thwart illegal immigration. Build a high wall with electrical barbed wire atop it. Put an electronic monitor on their ankle. Yada Yada Yada....... Why go through any of this trouble when we just let them abuse our system with our blessings right in front of our eyes?

Do I just not get it??? What am I missing? How is it that a trip to the hospital for a normal person costs thousands upon thousands of dollars, but they can just waltz in and have a field day at our expense?
I do not have identification and I still get treated at the hospital. It is not a big deal. A lot of us do this when we cant afford insurance.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:15 PM

9,243 posts, read 7,099,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
I do not have identification and I still get treated at the hospital. It is not a big deal. A lot of us do this when we cant afford insurance.
We need to start making ID a requirement and and asking who is legal and who is not.

There are jut way too many illegals here.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
The information is third-hand. It is an overheard conversation translated from Spanish to English by a "half-Mexican" girl, then relayed here. She wasn't described as "suspected", "possible", or "probable", but rather as a known illegal alien. None of the conditions (if even understood correctly) specifically determines that she is an "illegal alien".

Let's try to be as clear as possible...
Still the question remains. Why do you care? You don't know the person and if they were an illegal alien you should care even less.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
We need to start making ID a requirement and and asking who is legal and who is not.

There are jut way too many illegals here.
Then we would hear the usual cries of "racial profiling".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration