Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2011, 08:21 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,504,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
This is EXACTLY what Obama meant. Anyone else find it strange that the audience did not erupt with cheers until Obama mentioned the Rio Grande?.....
I see I’m not the only one who caught that. Why didn’t they applaud when he mentioned Ellis Island or slave ships? I think we all know the answer.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:23 PM

11,153 posts, read 10,920,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Those Meat Packing jobs used to be good paying Union Jobs, all the owners have to do is pay a few politicians to look the other way and they can hire thousands of sub minimum wage illegals and destroy the town where the plant is located.
The same holds true down in the ports of Long Beach and Los Angeles. There was a time when all the truckers operating out of those ports used to belong to the teamsters union. Now, most of the truckers are independent illegal drivers. Thousands of them line up at the gates daily. They ignore the rules of the road because they have to make 2 to 3 trips with separate containers to cover their gas costs. I can't count how many times I came close to hitting them with my train because they did not want to stop for the crossing gates.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:24 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,079,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
I understand exactly what I'm saying. My grandparents came through Ellis Island, worked two jobs, and learned english on their own outside of a schoolyard. They lived poor, and through hard work, achieved the American dream. They achieved their citizenship the way the Founding Fathers had intended. I don't think you are a lesser citizen by any means. I think you, to no fault of your own, are the product of a criminal, and if things were the way they should be, you would be a victim of circumstance.

This is EXACTLY what Obama meant. Anyone else find it strange that the audience did not erupt with cheers until Obama mentioned the Rio Grande?.....
OBama said...

"No matter whether your ancestors landed here on Ellis Island or came her on slave ships or came across the Rio Grande we are all connected..."

There is something there you don't understand? There is something there you don't agree with?

You don't understand that the Founder Fathers were all criminals to the British?

My grandfather was a irishman who may or may not have jumped ship in NY and spent 30 years as a longshoreman. Anyone who was a long shoreman for 30 years in NY is vastly more American than any wuzz who came through Ellis Island with a sponsor. Too bad you come from a line of wusses.

Quote:
Sadly, that is correct. The Founding Fathers could not envision 200+ years ago what would be happening in todays age.
Right for a couple of hundred years but wrong now because a set of wusses don't like it...boy talk about weak defenses.

Quote:
Exactly. Their time will come as well. Start levying $100,000 fines for the first offense and see how long that BS continues. "Oh, but the price of food will triple then..." seems to be the argument against that. Somethings gotta give. We'll either pay a little now, or a LOT later.

All I can say to that is "Sometimes things happen........".
And virtually always things continue the way they were going.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:27 PM

[quote=Boompa;19523942][quote=ditchlights;19523857]I
Please learn how to use the quote function. I don't need idiot posts misquoting me on various stupid writings.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Sales tax? Oh, please. So, that should qualify them to pay in-state tuition. Well, foreign students and tourists also pay sales tax. Should U.S. taxpayers subsidize the college education of every person who purchases goods in this country?
Stupid response...whatever taxes are normally collected in the area. They are residents.

Quote:
Again, with your obsession with deportation. We do NOT, I repeat do NOT have to deport illegal aliens. If we enforce ALL of our current laws, and end the BS coddling, they will leave.
Another idiotic response. We have no place near enough enforcement to deport 10% per year. In fact we can only keep it from expanding in good years.
Quote:

Again, Google for percentages.
I am not the one ascerting facts..you are. And your position is likely hopelessly stupid. That, of course, is why you refuse to defend it.

Quote:
Perhaps you will provide the stats on the percentage of insured versus uninsured illegal aliens. Also, the amount taxpayers must foot for uninsured illegals.

Such melodrama. When did I EVER mention denying ANYONE life-saving emergency medical treatment? I said illegal aliens should be denied ALL benefits, period. Life-saving emergency medical treatment is NOT a benefit.

No, I identify myself as a U.S. taxpayer who is damn tired of being screwed by parasitic illegal aliens. If that makes me an extremist, so be it.
Just basic humanity. A foreign concept?

And yes you are a hopeless extremist unable to even consider possible solutions to the problem.

And you likely condemn us all to it getting much worse.

Are you proud?

Old 06-09-2011, 09:36 PM

50,077 posts, read 46,646,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Who?

The Poor? They are not going away. They are home.
Someone in College is not poor. Where do you come up with this carp? Don't you think Mexico and Guatemala could use a few smart people?

Old 06-09-2011, 09:37 PM

[quote=ditchlights;19523857]
Quote:
I understand exactly what I'm saying. My grandparents came through Ellis Island, worked two jobs, and learned english on their own outside of a schoolyard. They lived poor, and through hard work, achieved the American dream. They achieved their citizenship the way the Founding Fathers had intended. I don't think you are a lesser citizen by any means. I think you, to no fault of your own, are the product of a criminal, and if things were the way they should be, you would be a victim of circumstance.
[quote=olecapt;19524882]
Quote:
My grandfather was a irishman who may or may not have jumped ship in NY and spent 30 years as a longshoreman. Anyone who was a long shoreman for 30 years in NY is vastly more American than any wuzz who came through Ellis Island with a sponsor. Too bad you come from a line of wusses.
Well now, we see what side you're on. Like it wasn't evident before. So, he worked as a non citizen for 30 years. The ILWU has always had a habit of harboring criminals. Old habits are sure hard to break......

Old 06-09-2011, 09:44 PM

[quote=ditchlights;19525043][quote=ditchlights;19523857]

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post

Well now, we see what side you're on. Like it wasn't evident before. So, he worked as a non citizen for 30 years. The ILWU has always had a habit of harboring criminals. Old habits are sure hard to break......
Ohh and among your other skills you are intimately familiar with the immigration laws of the 1900s?

You are a bundle of knowledge.

I hope that your skill in driving trains is better than in other areas...

Old 06-09-2011, 09:52 PM

[quote=olecapt;19525124][quote=ditchlights;19525043]
Quote:

Ohh and among your other skills you are intimately familiar with the immigration laws of the 1900s?

You are a bundle of knowledge.

I hope that your skill in driving trains is better than in other areas...
My train handling skills are of no matter here. What I do know is that regardless of how your ancestor made ends meet, the methods used by mexican illegal alien criminals today is a shame on our society and a perversion of what was designed in our constitution.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:28 PM

[quote=ditchlights;19525215][quote=olecapt;19525124]
Quote:

My train handling skills are of no matter here. What I do know is that regardless of how your ancestor made ends meet, the methods used by mexican illegal alien criminals today is a shame on our society and a perversion of what was designed in our constitution.
We were discussing Obama's speech which, it appears, you completely misunderstood.

And now you want to go off on a rant about Mexican illegals.

You might try and make up your mind about which issue it is you are upset about.

I fully agree that the the Mexican immigration was illegal, should never have been allowed and is bad for the US.

Now how do you propose to fix it?

No free passes. It appears almost totally impossible that a mass deportation is going to happen.

It is even less likey they will leave of their own volilition.

If nothing else happens many more will come to join them..

So what is it you are proposing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration