U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-14-2011, 11:20 AM
 
5,328 posts, read 5,221,240 times
Reputation: 2647

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
In many parts of America, including Alabama where this bill is been signed into law, once people hear that you are in "immigrant" they will treat you the same way as the illegal immigrants who you condemn. Don't think for one second that they'll treat you any better just because you came here legally. There are some people who are against immigration period. Racism and xenophobia is just that... racism and xenophobia.

Count yourself lucky as being able to come here legally. For many people, it is next to impossible to do it legally due to the current laws. If they could come here legally they would. Nobody would choose to be illegal if they had a viable legal option. The same reason you are here are the same reasons the illegal immigrants are here. You are not a better human being than them in any way shape or form.

Congrats, your Marxist Sociology 101 professor would be proud.

I'm sorry, but if you do not think that there is a difference between those that follow the rules and obey the laws and those that willfully break laws to justify their actions, then you're clueless and helpless. Enjoy your theoretical world, I'll continue to live in my real one with rules and laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-14-2011, 11:58 AM
 
Location: Jacksonville, Florida at last
98 posts, read 144,582 times
Reputation: 55
Actually NewYorkGuy has this one right. I live in Alabama, and the fact is that you are suspect and "not one of us" even if you are white as the driven snow and immigrated from the neighboring state.

And, Sophiasmommy, you ARE different from someone who did not have a legal avenue, he just said that you are not a better human being than they.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2011, 12:00 PM
 
722 posts, read 1,534,089 times
Reputation: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimpdaddy View Post
Have the new republicans done nothing to create jobs yet? Bentley will not get a second term, he does what ever they tell him.

Have you Democrats and your Obama done anything to create jobs and secure our borders yet?? Obama will not get a second term, he is incompetent.

BTW, go Alabama!!! Pretty soon all 50 states will be picking up the slack where Obummer and cronies have failed because they are more interested in getting new Democrat votes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2011, 12:09 PM
 
722 posts, read 1,534,089 times
Reputation: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
In many parts of America, including Alabama where this bill is been signed into law, once people hear that you are in "immigrant" they will treat you the same way as the illegal immigrants who you condemn. Don't think for one second that they'll treat you any better just because you came here legally. There are some people who are against immigration period. Racism and xenophobia is just that... racism and xenophobia.

Count yourself lucky as being able to come here legally. For many people, it is next to impossible to do it legally due to the current laws. If they could come here legally they would. Nobody would choose to be illegal if they had a viable legal option. The same reason you are here are the same reasons the illegal immigrants are here. You are not a better human being than them in any way shape or form.
Yet you leftists almost always leave the word "illegal" out of it when you condemn those who are against illegal immigration(most of the country). Yes there are some people against immigration period, but that still doesn't excuse illegal immigration. The law is the law. The government is supposed to protect us from foreign invasion according to the constitution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2011, 12:15 PM
 
4,743 posts, read 8,437,192 times
Reputation: 4019
Mavoufl - so you didn't vote for the State Senate candidate from Albertville whose slogan was "he's one of us"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2011, 12:17 PM
 
5,328 posts, read 5,221,240 times
Reputation: 2647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavoufl View Post
Actually NewYorkGuy has this one right. I live in Alabama, and the fact is that you are suspect and "not one of us" even if you are white as the driven snow and immigrated from the neighboring state.

And, Sophiasmommy, you ARE different from someone who did not have a legal avenue, he just said that you are not a better human being than they.

So, in your mind law abiding citizens are no better than those that willfully break the law, correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2011, 01:21 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
1,654 posts, read 6,603,294 times
Reputation: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavoufl View Post
Actually NewYorkGuy has this one right. I live in Alabama, and the fact is that you are suspect and "not one of us" even if you are white as the driven snow and immigrated from the neighboring state.

And, Sophiasmommy, you ARE different from someone who did not have a legal avenue, he just said that you are not a better human being than they.
Don't bother, I don't think she understands the arguments. She just starts expounding about Marxism and theoretical worlds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2011, 01:35 PM
 
Location: Jacksonville, Florida at last
98 posts, read 144,582 times
Reputation: 55
@ Reactionary - Um. No. Spurlin AND Scofield both supported an Arizona type immigration law. We got Scofield, and we got Kerry Rich in my district. Not exactly all my dreams come true. But here my dreams are considered your worst nightmare. There is a paper thin difference between the parties in much of the south. There is much to love about Alabama. This legislation and the spirit behind HOW it was written, is not the best Alabama has to offer.

The phrase HE'S ONE OF "US" has non-denominational cachet here. Bobby Bright, Greg Varner, Spurlin, your average next door neighbor. It has been said to my face that I am not "one of . . . .

@ Sophiasmommy - Let it go. Neither you nor I can judge who may be the better human being, so neither of us is qualified to decide that either of us is a better human being than another. Wow - is that grammatically correct?? No offense to you, and no offense to opposing arguments. Not worth the spitting.

Last edited by Mavoufl; 06-14-2011 at 01:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2011, 02:13 PM
 
323 posts, read 427,257 times
Reputation: 575
[quote=Sophiasmommy
The problem is that it is the left, and only the left that never makes a distinction between legal and illegal immigrants and believe me you, that is for a very specific agenda. It is offensive to not distinguish between those here legally and those that broke the law.

Sorry, no dis respect - I am neither left or right - It seems your statement paints everybody with a straight broad brush - that can appear offensive to some - my point was - sometimes when folks are responding to posts - they sincereley didn't mean to make it personal - maybe they forgot a word :illegal vs legal - but the topic was illegals - nothing wrong with being passionate about a cause - just simply do not understand why just because someone may have a different experience they has to be such harshness. Isn't that what is suppose to make the US so great - different opinions/experiences.

Wow, you sure make it tough for me to use these posts as positive examples for our youth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2011, 02:24 PM
 
3,204 posts, read 2,383,305 times
Reputation: 1544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgob View Post
You aren't born with the "right" to a job. You have the right to pursue them, but no one has the right to use the state to give them one any more then they do to make a doctor give them healthcare. I was against the law for my great grandparents to even own themselves. I guess by your own logic they had no natural "right" to freedom becuase it went against law.

Your argument holds no water. Your great grandparents didn't sneak into this country. They were brought here against their will and to make that comparison is disgraceful and distasteful. Shame on anyone that would try to equate the two. It greatly diminishes the plight of slaves and there is no comparison.

You are correct that we aren't born with the right to a job. That goes for illegals as well, right? Do you not believe in the Civil Rights Act? Isn't that the state trying to dictate that minorities are not discriminated against?

As a sovereign nation we have laws in place to maintain a healthy balance that our economic structure can maintain. When millions of people break those laws it upsets the balance to the point that laws will be created to try to bring things back to a manageable state. Illegals as well as business owners knew what they were doing when this all took place.

When someone is dealing drugs all their money and possessions are confiscated because their gains were achieved in an illegal manner. It could be argued that anyone that has used illegal workers earned income on the backs of the tax payers that were subsidizing the illegals. Maybe their property should be confiscated to reimburse the taxpayer for their losses. Or maybe Mexico should be billed for the poverty that they are transferring to this country.

The bottom line is that there are laws that protect businesses and laws that protect workers. They all need to be enforced equally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top