U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 11:00 AM

1,940 posts, read 3,846,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
My problem is when people (yes, always liberals) make no distinction between legal and illegal immigrants, even the thread title is misleading. They do not realize how offensive that is to those of us that did things the proper way.
Amen, totally agree. Look at Australia and see what they do with illegals, then you will see the USA is still very soft.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 11:29 AM

3,208 posts, read 4,510,820 times
Maybe if all of our neighbors shoot themselves in the foot also, the effects over here in Georgia won't be as bad.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:33 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,227,635 times
Lightbulb Thank You, Ms Sophia...

Quote:
That's a pretty good post, but please consider a few things. First, they can't pull you over for the way you look, you have to have done something wrong in the first place, i.e speeding, running a red light, etc. The they will ask for dl, registration and insurance, just as they would ask anyone. Now lemme ask you a question: if you're here illegally, then how can you have a dl? So, if they can not produce one, then they're a. driving without a dl, and b. the police officer will ask for some other form of id.

Sorry, I'm not being very clear in making my point, but as a legal immigrant, I have a dl, and would show it immediately. So, I really am not sure what the fuss is about. Thanks
Your point is very clear to these old eyes, and I do get what you're talking about...you are a legal immigrant, properly documented and everything, and you get torqued when anyone either lumps you in with illegals, or calls you a racist or some other tired name because you are vocal in your opposition to illegal immigration...all that is clear and true

But to give a short answer to your other question, I do wish there was some kind of database in existence, where if say (LOL---this might be a wild-a** scenario, but here goes) a legal person gets, by some chance, caught up in a 'sweep' by law enforcement, or ICE, and say they DON'T have ID, or papers, or anything on their person to prove their status (say wildly again, they left home and legitimately forgot their wallet, purse, briefcase, what have you...crazy I know, but you gotta cover all the bases)...then this way, if someone DOES get 'nicked' in error, there's a way to prove they're legit, the policeman/trooper/ICE agent can say 'sorry for the error', and everyone can go on their way...

Does that sound far-fetched as well? I just don't want to see the courts flooded with lawsuits brought forth by legal folk who were stopped/questioned/whatever in error, because someone got a little over-zealous enforcing the letter of the law...

Old 06-10-2011, 11:40 AM

5,331 posts, read 5,230,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
Your point is very clear to these old eyes, and I do get what you're talking about...you are a legal immigrant, properly documented and everything, and you get torqued when anyone either lumps you in with illegals, or calls you a racist or some other tired name because you are vocal in your opposition to illegal immigration...all that is clear and true

But to give a short answer to your other question, I do wish there was some kind of database in existence, where if say (LOL---this might be a wild-a** scenario, but here goes) a legal person gets, by some chance, caught up in a 'sweep' by law enforcement, or ICE, and say they DON'T have ID, or papers, or anything on their person to prove their status (say wildly again, they left home and legitimately forgot their wallet, purse, briefcase, what have you...crazy I know, but you gotta cover all the bases)...then this way, if someone DOES get 'nicked' in error, there's a way to prove they're legit, the policeman/trooper/ICE agent can say 'sorry for the error', and everyone can go on their way...

Does that sound far-fetched as well? I just don't want to see the courts flooded with lawsuits brought forth by legal folk who were stopped/questioned/whatever in error, because someone got a little over-zealous enforcing the letter of the law...

You seem like a nice man and your posts are well thought out. I think ICE or whatever it's called now has a database and all you would have to do is tell them your ss#, if you didn't have any id on you. Bottom line: we are far and away the most lenient country in the world when it comes to illegal immigration, and in this economy, we just can't afford to be that way anymore.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:42 AM

1,940 posts, read 3,846,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
Maybe if all of our neighbors shoot themselves in the foot also, the effects over here in Georgia won't be as bad.
At least the states are doing something, even though the feds are not, You remember that Obama said this was his top priority when he was elected.

I love diversity, but not when it is as out of control as it is currently, yes America is a melting pot, that is what we are all made of. But, you come in to a country legally, then you have no worries.
Plus I am sick and tired of calling a business of some sort, and having to press what button I want my language spoken in.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:20 PM

1,654 posts, read 6,607,196 times
Alabama has some of the lowest taxes in the country. Your tax dollars aren't paying for much of anything. More is sent in than comes out . . .

I'd much rather pay for a hardworking immigrant that wants nothing more than a better life, than those that are American citizens and don't even TRY. It is not criminal for someone to simply want to provide a better life for their kids and themselves. If you think that's criminal then all I have to say is that you might want to go to Jesus with that one. I would like to enter to gates of Heaven one day, and when God judges my heart, I want him to see that I care for others. Think of me however you wish, but I sincerely believe that as a Believer of Jesus Christ, it is our duty to help those that are helpless or less fortunate.

Also:

Native Americans. Remember them?

And, if you're going to be mad about jobs, be angry with politicians and business leaders. Ohh, and China and India, etc. That's where the jobs are. Be mad because their kids learn better and are smarter.

Old 06-10-2011, 02:54 PM

2,477 posts, read 2,203,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakabedy View Post
A lot of tax dollars are going to be spent defending challenges to this stuff.
..but they suck a lot more tax money from Americans then most can even imagine...
California last yr spent...6 BILLION dollars just on illegals..Insane!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
This will make a lot of folks happy-until it comes time to harvest the fruits and vegetables.
Thats a myth....it said that only 3% of illegals harvest.
They are by far more of them in the construction trade...and if I remember correctly....those are American type jobs.

This country need to start getting back to basics and that means Americans start doing "ALL"jobs!

Old 06-10-2011, 03:02 PM

2,477 posts, read 2,203,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimpdaddy View Post
Cities like Miami and New York are made up of immigrants and have diversity, that is what make those cities good. Alabama is further hurting itself with this law and I don't how see people don't recognize that. We should encourage people to come here but this is discouraging. Racism is what hurt this state for the longest and please tell me how this is going to make anyone come to Alabama besides old racist people. We don't need them we need young open-minded people.
WTH does this law have to do with "legal immigrants"

Old 06-10-2011, 05:23 PM

5,331 posts, read 5,230,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennquaker09 View Post
Alabama has some of the lowest taxes in the country. Your tax dollars aren't paying for much of anything. More is sent in than comes out . . .

I'd much rather pay for a hardworking immigrant that wants nothing more than a better life, than those that are American citizens and don't even TRY. It is not criminal for someone to simply want to provide a better life for their kids and themselves. If you think that's criminal then all I have to say is that you might want to go to Jesus with that one. I would like to enter to gates of Heaven one day, and when God judges my heart, I want him to see that I care for others. Think of me however you wish, but I sincerely believe that as a Believer of Jesus Christ, it is our duty to help those that are helpless or less fortunate.

Also:

Native Americans. Remember them?

And, if you're going to be mad about jobs, be angry with politicians and business leaders. Ohh, and China and India, etc. That's where the jobs are. Be mad because their kids learn better and are smarter.

Why would you need to pay for an "immigrant?" We are here legally, just like you. Did you mean an illegal immigrant? if so, it's attitudes like yours that undermine the foundation of this great nation. You have no respect and appreciation for how good you have it here.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:09 PM

1,654 posts, read 6,607,196 times
Quote:
Why would you need to pay for an "immigrant?" We are here legally, just like you. Did you mean an illegal immigrant? if so, it's attitudes like yours that undermine the foundation of this great nation. You have no respect and appreciation for how good you have it here.

If you were able to comprehend my post, you would have figured out that I don't necessarily believe that there is anything illegal. The country belongs to NO ONE.

And, since you're obviously not reading the posts. You would have read many comments about tax dollars paying to educate "illegal" immigrants and give them healthcare. It is true that tax dollars do this. That means we pay for it. I don't have a problem with it like some, however.

Also, it's really arrogant and presumptuous of you to talk down to me and tell me I have no respect and appreciation. The foundation of America resulted in a war. Thank you very much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or