Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2011, 09:33 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,868,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
When unemployment was low, the housing market was booming and the economy was doing well, this country did everything short of send invitations to Mexicans to come here and work. People hired them. Everyone loved their new $200k 2500sqft home, their cheap restaurant meals, their cheap housekeeper, their cheap landscaper, their cheap nicely packaged boneless skinless chicken breasts... All work likely done by an illegal immigrant. Now things are tough, jobs are in short supply and we just expect them to go home? Frankly, we all made this bed. Not the government. Sure they played a part by bending to the big business want for cheap labor. But the combination of America's love of cheap products/services and high profit margins are the real culprits in my opinion.

If that is the case, then using E Verify should be very helpful. I have worked grant jobs through the govt and realized that when the project is finished the job is gone. People working a job illegally realize the risks they take.

As for the cheap part of your post...I didn't ever notice prices going down. Businesses pocketed the money and let the taxpayers foot the bill for the entitlements. The people hiring landscapers and gardeners illegally are many of the ones complaining about the country being fat and lazy. Maybe they need to pay a legal citizen a decent wage to do the job or get off their butts and do it themselves.

This is definitly the fault of the government as well as businesses for allowing different sets of laws for different people. Illegals want the rights of citizens but think they should live under a different set of laws. If I do work under the table I go to jail for not paying taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2011, 09:56 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,440,815 times
Alabama requires a social security card (which is not proof of citizenship) plus two other documents (birth certificate, passport, marriage certificate, military id etc) to get a drivers' license. A resident alien (aka 'legal immigrant') can get an Alabama license if they have a valid license in their home country plus US green card.

Note that non-residents with valid drivers' licenses in their home country (or State) don't need an Alabama license. However:

Drivers must carry their license, proof of insurance, and automobile registration. If these documents don't match, you're in trouble.

For example, a driver from Mexico with a valid license and current registration and proof of insurance (e.g., National Unity Insurance) will go through the normal hassles of a traffic stop - and that's it. A driver with no license, mismatched plates, and no insurance will be in trouble (just like everyone else in that situation). BTW I've been stopped often enough in Mexico to know that the language barrier is not a big problem if your documents are in order; also, in my experience, police in Alabama are more professional than those in Mexico.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:24 PM

2,476 posts, read 2,603,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavoufl View Post
Oh yeah - THAT is exactly it!
There are solutions to these problems but they require open hearts and minds, and a willingness to look beyond our prejudices.
I have read your rediculous comments and actually have come to the conclusion that you dont know what the heck your even talking about...
1st and last....what part of illegal dont you understand.
Your use of the "prejudice" word makes no sense in this thread but if you want to use it, then yes I'm predujudice against ILLEGALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
So whose fault is that? If California spent 6 billion on illegals it just means that the state willingly gave out those benefits to them unless you are implying that the illegals defrauded the state by using forged documents? The question is, why did the state even give out 6 billion to these people?

No you see the dem/lib-tards in Cali. who run the state give the money away but I will bet you any amount that if Cali. had sent this to the people for a vote...You think they would have given the money to people who don't belong here?? No.
But the bigger problem is when Cali."gets bailed out" because you know its coming...the rest of the U.S. pop. gets screwed into paying for illegal turds that have not right to be here....thats the problem.
The solution is...all fools such as yourself should send extra taxs in every yr to pay for these illegals. You like them so much, then YOU pay for them.

Put up or shut up!

Old 06-11-2011, 11:46 PM

93 posts, read 363,478 times
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you......Alabama! Praise all Justice! Americans have been getting raped over by illegal immigrants for too long. Want your house cleaned, fruit picked or rooves done?.....Well there are a whole lotta southern states AND Appalachian states where white/black minimum wage folks have no jobs....Bus them in!!!!!! They are living 4 to a house instead of 15 and do not have 5 yr goals in this country, but must stay here a lifetime and make their low income work. I hope these American workers breaking hiring rules are mutilated and disabled from ever doing this to the working blue collar public again. Minimum wage would be higher without illegal immigration. Only in this country would a pirate who hi-jacked a ship have the BaIIs to lie down on deck and scream it is "I have the right to steal this". arrrggghhh - - - -

Last edited by LeeLee77; 06-12-2011 at 01:13 AM..

Old 06-12-2011, 12:58 AM

93 posts, read 363,478 times
living in Cali now And I can tell you the following:

It breaks my heart every day when I got to work and see the disabled sh*++ing in their hand while in a wheelchair, homeless are everywhere and animal rights/vegan activist ignore that, while saving the seahorses and letting ILLEGAL immigrants pollute and rape over American money and rights in a recession. Common sense is extinct in this country as of NOW! God help US!

Old 06-12-2011, 02:34 AM

1,654 posts, read 7,347,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Listen, I get it, you spent however many years getting your Ivy League indoctrination, but now you will have to grow up, get a job and join the real world. Pretty soon you will realize that all that pap that your Marxist professors were spewing was theoretical nonsense.

I'm not arrogant at all, I just appreciate and respect this great country of ours. I challenge you to google Australia and their policy towards illegal immigrants, or any country in Europe, or even Mexico for crying out loud, you'll be embarassed at how you reacted towards ours.

There is a legal and proper way to immigrate to this country, but it is not a right, it is a privilege. It may seem like I am being hard on you, but you need it and will appreciate it someday. You received your ivory tower indoctrination, now it's time for a real world education; a practical one.
On one hand you're talking to me like I'm the village idiot, and the other you're recognizing my education. Which is it? Am I stupid or educated? Or is that I'm educated enough to formulate my own opinions?

You really don't understand how condescending you are. Quite frankly, that ticks me off more than anything. We can disagree on the issue, but I'm not going insult your intelligence or your background. You're assuming things about me, and attacking me, instead of trying to understand what I'm saying.

Yes, I went to an Ivy League school - for a Master of Education and teacher certification. My degree is in the curriculum and instruction of math and science courses. Not a lot of room for indoctrination there.

My undergrad was in chemistry and mathematics. I went to Tulane, by way of the University of Alabama. Again, not a lot of room for indoctrination, and both of those schools are not exactly bastions of liberalism.

I'm totally fine with laws and having them enforced, but the great thing about our country is that laws can be challenged. And from those challenges, we have new law. I also don't think that everyone should be able to come in all willy nilly, but what I am saying is that I get why people want to come here. My feelings have nothing to do with my education. However, I do have a firm grasp of American history. The United States grew to be the Unites States from wars, treaties, and annexations. Treaty of Paris, Mexican Cession, Louisiana Purchase, Spanish Cession, Oregon Treaty. etc. etc. And let us not forget, the American Revolutionary War.

And I learned my history before either of my two wonderful feet stepped on a college campus.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:31 AM

110 posts, read 182,939 times
prej·u·dice   
[prej-uh-dis] Show IPA
noun, verb, -diced, -dic·ing.
–noun
1. an unfavorable opinion or feeling formed beforehand or without knowledge, thought, or reason.
2. any preconceived opinion or feeling, either favorable or unfavorable.
3. unreasonable feelings, opinions, or attitudes, especially of a hostile nature, regarding a racial, religious, or national group.
I apologize for offending the group posting here with the word "prejudice". I always use the word as described in the first two dictionary definitions above. We all have or have had prejudice on any number of issues NOT limited to race. It is something we DO need to work through to achieve reasonable solutions.
There is a lot of name calling and personal bullying on this thread. What is that about? It gets in the way of rational discussion, and seems to be the response of choice if confronted with an opinion different than your own.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:11 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,866,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
This will make a lot of folks happy-until it comes time to harvest the fruits and vegetables.
Probably enough unemployed U.S. citizens would be willing to pick that fruit.
GL2

Old 06-12-2011, 10:26 AM

199 posts, read 178,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Probably enough unemployed U.S. citizens would be willing to pick that fruit.
GL2
If there were then they Mexicans would never had been hired. Most people who are " looking for jobs/can't find work" aren't willing to do it.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:28 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavoufl View Post
prej·u·dice   
[prej-uh-dis] Show IPA
noun, verb, -diced, -dic·ing.
–noun
1. an unfavorable opinion or feeling formed beforehand or without knowledge, thought, or reason.
2. any preconceived opinion or feeling, either favorable or unfavorable.
3. unreasonable feelings, opinions, or attitudes, especially of a hostile nature, regarding a racial, religious, or national group.
I apologize for offending the group posting here with the word "prejudice". I always use the word as described in the first two dictionary definitions above. We all have or have had prejudice on any number of issues NOT limited to race. It is something we DO need to work through to achieve reasonable solutions.
There is a lot of name calling and personal bullying on this thread. What is that about? It gets in the way of rational discussion, and seems to be the response of choice if confronted with an opinion different than your own.
Well, since you bandied the word about, let's look at the definitions. Because what you really are accusing us with this edification is indulging in a kneejerk, irrational action. And that's where you are wrong.

We have seen the economic impact illegal immigrants have on both the labor markets and social services, both in our own state and in others where the problem is more acute. We are also quite aware of the fact that there are supposed to be limitations on the number of immigrants into this country, laws that have not been enforced adequately for a host of reasons--some political.

The simple truth is that it is an outrage that people who are not here legally are managing to take away the jobs of people who are, as well as soaking up public monies at a time when they are particularly scarce. What's more, they are not only taking away jobs, but they are also creating an environment where wages have fallen due to increased competition. This would be true if the immigrants in question were from Mexico, Honduras, India, Laos, or Ireland.

And your charge of 'personal bullying' is just nonsense. You come on, accuse of us prejudice, and offer no substantive argument of your own. While our replies have been rather vehement, you haven't been bullied at all. It's just that your arguments have been weak and insubstantial. Come back with better ammunition and perhaps you'll be given a more respectful hearing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration