Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 09:45 AM

5,999 posts, read 7,095,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvinbama View Post
I don't know why they felt it necessary to try and prevent illegal immigrants from going to school. This will lead to ignorance and lawlessness. Most of these kids just want to grow up as average hard working americans.

E-verify is a totally necessary requirement. The businessmen her in tennessee squashed out immigration bill in committee because of this requirement. It is the only common sense and effective way to lower illegal immigration. They don't come here for the free elementary education for their children. They come here to work! If you can limit the demand for jobs for illegals then you will limit the number of illegal immigrants.

Can I ask you a question: What do you say to those of us that waited in line for years and did things the legal way? What do you say to us when you openly support law breakers? I don't know if you have children, but do you tell them that it is okay for someone to butt in line in the supermarket?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 09:58 AM

976 posts, read 2,682,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
With all due respect you just took a page out of the radical leftist playbook. This bill has absolutely nothing to do with immigrants; why would it, immigrants are legal US citizens who can do whatever they please within the confines of the law. This is about illegal immigrants, and you and the op intentionally made no distinction to put forth your radical leftist agenda.

As a legal immigrant, I take great offense to being compared to people who came into this country illegally, with no respect to our laws. Lemme ask you a question, why do you compare me to people who break the law?
1.I'm referencing the Cuban and other Caribbean immigrants that make-up a vast population of cities like Miami.
2.I have no agenda AND I don't care about how you came here. I am only looking to make MY state better place to live. Laws are broken everyday but these particular laws and only with this particular group of people you have a problem with. why is that?

Old 06-10-2011, 10:06 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,680,469 times
Lightbulb With Equal Amounts Of Respect...

Quote:
With all due respect you just took a page out of the radical leftist playbook. This bill has absolutely nothing to do with immigrants; why would it, immigrants are legal US citizens who can do whatever they please within the confines of the law. This is about illegal immigrants, and you and the op intentionally made no distinction to put forth your radical leftist agenda.

As a legal immigrant, I take great offense to being compared to people who came into this country illegally, with no respect to our laws. Lemme ask you a question, why do you compare me to people who break the law?
Let's just stop with all this '(fill in the political party/religious group/ideology) agenda' BS, shall we?

It gets sort of annoying when people can't express an opinion ANYWHERE nowadays, without somebody getting all torqued up about 'you're just spouting the yada-yada agenda', whether it's 'left', excuse me, RADICAL/LIBERAL/ELITIST left, or 'right', excuse me, CONSERVATIVE/RELIGIOUS/TEA PARTY right...can't that person just have an opinion, and express it, without all the add-on 'agenda' junk? Sweet galloping Christ, that stuff gets old...

Now as to your comment, as a legal immigrant, you have every right to be torqued if someone lumps you in with illegals...the distinction is like night and day, and too many folk are starting to blur the lines...here in Ohio, just recently, there have been TV ads running from a group called FAIR, which stands for Federation for American Immigration Reform...

Get this...the tone some of the ads take, is that LEGAL immigration is a problem, just as much as ILLEGAL immigration...to be honest, my reaction to the ad I saw was WTF??!!! I thought the illegal immigration issue was the big one, NOT legal immigration...the gist was (in the ad) legal immigrants are coming here and taking jobs that should go to 'regular Americans', and that LEGAL immigration should be checked as well...

Now I don't know about you, but my b***s**t meter went into the red zone when I heard that...wanna talk about an 'agenda'? There's one right there...

If anyone reads this, and I've given incorrect inforamtion about FAIR or any if its' motives, then I will stand corrected...but I'm going on what I saw and heard, and something just didn't fit there

Old 06-10-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimpdaddy View Post
1.I'm referencing the Cuban and other Caribbean immigrants that make-up a vast population of cities like Miami.
2.I have no agenda AND I don't care about how you came here. I am only looking to make MY state better place to live. Laws are broken everyday but these particular laws and only with this particular group of people you have a problem with. why is that?

1. Cubans have a special asylum status and why do you differentiate between immigrants from the Caribbean and other places?

2. You do have an agenda, because you intentionally did not make a difference between illegal and legal immigrants; that is a common tactic of the radical left. And you referred to those of us that are against illegal immigration as "racist." Since when did someone's legal status become a race?

3. Regarding the "legal" factor, your point makes no sense. I'm against law breakers. I guess I could flip the question back at you: What other laws do you support being broken?

Old 06-10-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
Let's just stop with all this '(fill in the political party/religious group/ideology) agenda' BS, shall we?

It gets sort of annoying when people can't express an opinion ANYWHERE nowadays, without somebody getting all torqued up about 'you're just spouting the yada-yada agenda', whether it's 'left', excuse me, RADICAL/LIBERAL/ELITIST left, or 'right', excuse me, CONSERVATIVE/RELIGIOUS/TEA PARTY right...can't that person just have an opinion, and express it, without all the add-on 'agenda' junk? Sweet galloping Christ, that stuff gets old...

Now as to your comment, as a legal immigrant, you have every right to be torqued if someone lumps you in with illegals...the distinction is like night and day, and too many folk are starting to blur the lines...here in Ohio, just recently, there have been TV ads running from a group called FAIR, which stands for Federation for American Immigration Reform...

Get this...the tone some of the ads take, is that LEGAL immigration is a problem, just as much as ILLEGAL immigration...to be honest, my reaction to the ad I saw was WTF??!!! I thought the illegal immigration issue was the big one, NOT legal immigration...the gist was (in the ad) legal immigrants are coming here and taking jobs that should go to 'regular Americans', and that LEGAL immigration should be checked as well...

Now I don't know about you, but my b***s**t meter went into the red zone when I heard that...wanna talk about an 'agenda'? There's one right there...

If anyone reads this, and I've given incorrect inforamtion about FAIR or any if its' motives, then I will stand corrected...but I'm going on what I saw and heard, and something just didn't fit there

You can bury your head in the sand like an ostrich, but it is a calculated agenda by the far left to paint all of us that are against illegal immigrants as "racist", as evidenced by some posts in this very thread. What they fail to realize is that ones legal status is not a race, ans many, many immigrants like myself are against illegal immigration.

I have not seen those adds, but if they are against legal immigration, then I condemn them. Would you mind posting them? Thanks

Old 06-10-2011, 10:14 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,801,281 times
I like that they are trying to punish businesses for hiring illegals. However, going after individuals will be an enormous burden on the police force. These people came here for 1 reason...to work. They didn't grow up in Mexico dreaming of one day coming to Alabama and picking watermelons or roofing houses. They came because people hire them, pay them below market wages.

I seriously doubt that the big dogs in big agriculture, poultry plants, construction... in the state will ever be punished even though that is where the problem is rooted. They have too much clout in the state legislature. Prosecuting individuals is akin to arresting a kid with a joint in his pocket. It does nothing to eliminate the problem and puts a huge burden on the police force and court system.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:31 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,680,469 times
Lightbulb Uhhh...That Would Be A No

Quote:
You can bury your head in the sand like an ostrich, but it is a calculated agenda by the far left to paint all of us that are against illegal immigrants as "racist", as evidenced by some posts in this very thread. What they fail to realize is that ones legal status is not a race, ans many, many immigrants like myself are against illegal immigration.

I have not seen those adds, but if they are against legal immigration, then I condemn them. Would you mind posting them? Thanks
My head isn't, nor has it ever been, 'buried in the sand', and once again, I call BS on that agenda junk...you sound as though you've been getting a steady diet of 'talkinghead talking points', which can be said equally about the left and the right...

You are correct in your assertion that there are a LOT of folks out here, on both sides of the divide, that are staunchly against illegal immigration...I am a black man, by the way, so I will say that 'racist' is an equally tired term...and as far as illegal immigration goes, I too say it needs to be stopped---period...

But to address the 'racist' stuff, if you are passing a law saying people can be stopped and questioned per se about their status, and the illegal population is somewhat disproportionately one ethnic group (Hispanic and/or Mexican...once again, if I'm wrong, then I stand corrected), then doesn't it stand to reason that, somewhere down the line, somebody's gonna stop a properly documented LEGAL immigrant/citizen, for the simple reason that they LOOK like a member of that demographic?

That's not being racist, or having an agenda, or anything else...that's a scenario that could likely happen, and THAT portion of any anti-illegal legislation is what I would like to see either altered or done away with...in short, yes, let's deal with the illegal immigration issue, and deal with it NOW...but let's also not waste time and resources for the lawsuits and what-not that could arise from folks being mistakenly 'targeted'...does that make sense?

And as to FAIR, I don't have any links to videos as yet, but here is their web address: FAIR: Federation for American Immigration Reform You should be able to get at least information there, as well as possibly links to any video ads they're currently running

Old 06-10-2011, 10:49 AM

1,937 posts, read 4,708,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimpdaddy View Post
Alabama has a racist past and every time I try to give this state the benefit of the doubt it becomes clear these people here in Alabama are as racist as they were in the 50', and 60's. This is a bill to satisfy the racist hate-filled people who worry about everybody else but themselves. We have a racist Legislator now and they are going to screw Alabama with their stupidity, I might be wrong but no other state is going to follow this, they are going to sit back laugh at us. There goes stupid Alabama again who could be generating revenue from the there own people who go to border state for lottery tickets, but instead they vote on bills that don't do crap for improving an economy.

BS BS BS
Because the mindset on here (City-Data) is that it helps a city's diversity. BS, it is ripping your pocketbooks apart. They are not going to do anything for you but drain your rights as an American citizen.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
My head isn't, nor has it ever been, 'buried in the sand', and once again, I call BS on that agenda junk...you sound as though you've been getting a steady diet of 'talkinghead talking points', which can be said equally about the left and the right...

You are correct in your assertion that there are a LOT of folks out here, on both sides of the divide, that are staunchly against illegal immigration...I am a black man, by the way, so I will say that 'racist' is an equally tired term...and as far as illegal immigration goes, I too say it needs to be stopped---period...

But to address the 'racist' stuff, if you are passing a law saying people can be stopped and questioned per se about their status, and the illegal population is somewhat disproportionately one ethnic group (Hispanic and/or Mexican...once again, if I'm wrong, then I stand corrected), then doesn't it stand to reason that, somewhere down the line, somebody's gonna stop a properly documented LEGAL immigrant/citizen, for the simple reason that they LOOK like a member of that demographic?

That's not being racist, or having an agenda, or anything else...that's a scenario that could likely happen, and THAT portion of any anti-illegal legislation is what I would like to see either altered or done away with...in short, yes, let's deal with the illegal immigration issue, and deal with it NOW...but let's also not waste time and resources for the lawsuits and what-not that could arise from folks being mistakenly 'targeted'...does that make sense?

And as to FAIR, I don't have any links to videos as yet, but here is their web address: FAIR: Federation for American Immigration Reform You should be able to get at least information there, as well as possibly links to any video ads they're currently running
That's a pretty good post, but please consider a few things. First, they can't pull you over for the way you look, you have to have done something wrong in the first place, i.e speeding, running a red light, etc. The they will ask for dl, registration and insurance, just as they would ask anyone. Now lemme ask you a question: if you're here illegally, then how can you have a dl? So, if they can not produce one, then they're a. driving without a dl, and b. the police officer will ask for some other form of id.

Sorry, I'm not being very clear in making my point, but as a legal immigrant, I have a dl, and would show it immediately. So, I really am not sure what the fuss is about. Thanks

Old 06-10-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
BS BS BS
Because the mindset on here (City-Data) is that it helps a city's diversity. BS, it is ripping your pocketbooks apart. They are not going to do anything for you but drain your rights as an American citizen.

My problem is when people (yes, always liberals) make no distinction between legal and illegal immigrants, even the thread title is misleading. They do not realize how offensive that is to those of us that did things the proper way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration