U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 09:54 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,176,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgirl27 View Post
I sure damn hope they get any money they are asking for...sue the F out of them..and get all the money you deserve
No kid deserves to die..
Where he is from is no excuse to kill him
I support the parents and their lawsuit.
Talk about assumptions without the facts all being in yet! Yes, anyone deserves to die if they are trying to kill another human being regardless of their age. A person has the right to defend themselves from an initial attack. So you are saying that because this kid was from Mexico that is the reason he was killed? Race card, much?

Last edited by chicagonut; 06-10-2011 at 10:11 AM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 10:00 AM

5,302 posts, read 4,024,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
He and his fellow gang members were throwing rocks at the lone agent, surrounding him like a pack of wolves.
You really need to see the cell phone video of the incident, it shows nothing of the sort. Sergio was shot at least fifty to sixty feet [EDIT: review of the video below shows probably over 100 feet distance] away from the agent (he was not "surrounded", and had a single detainee cowering close to his feet) on the Mexican side. An interesting item is that the omnipresent DHS cameras that cover the area probably shot good video that has not been released as any confirmation to anyone, much less Sergio, throwing rocks.

I'd really like to see any evidence for how you stated it...

[EDIT: Cell phone video of the incident on YouTube]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzFqhSkQpFo

Last edited by IBMMuseum; 06-10-2011 at 10:21 AM.. Reason: To add YouTube video

Old 06-10-2011, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
You really need to see the cell phone video of the incident, it shows nothing of the sort. Sergio was shot at least fifty to sixty feet away from the agent (he was not "surrounded", and had a single detainee cowering close to his feet) on the Mexican side. An interesting item is that the omnipresent DHS cameras that cover the area probably shot good video that has not been released as any confirmation to anyone, much less Sergio, throwing rocks.

It has happened time and time again at our border. Someone with a cell phone video, especially if they are biased for Mexicans wouldn't bother to capture that aspect of it or perhaps didn't turn the camera on until the
"kid" was shot. There is no reason to believe that any of our agents just like to shoot Mexicans for no reason. By the way, the agent who shot the "kid" was also Hispanic.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
...Someone with a cell phone video, especially if they are biased for Mexicans wouldn't bother to capture that aspect of it or perhaps didn't turn the camera on until the "kid" was shot...
A longer segment in Spanish shows events with more clarity (and Sergio's movements before the shots were fired):

The video doesn't lie, I am making no comment to other than Malamute's statement that the boys were "surrounding [the agent] like a pack of wolves"...

Review it for yourself...

Old 06-10-2011, 10:34 AM

1,568 posts, read 2,717,487 times
Quote:
You really need to see the cell phone video of the incident, it shows nothing of the sort. Sergio was shot at least fifty to sixty feet [EDIT: review of the video below shows probably over 100 feet distance] away from the agent (he was not "surrounded", and had a single detainee cowering close to his feet) on the Mexican side. An interesting item is that the omnipresent DHS cameras that cover the area probably shot good video that has not been released as any confirmation to anyone, much less Sergio, throwing rocks.

[EDIT: Cell phone video of the incident on YouTube]

So much for the surrounded by a pack of 'wolves' theory. I'm not buying the need for the escalation of force to the level of shooting the teens.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
A longer segment in Spanish shows events with more clarity (and Sergio's movements before the shots were fired):

The video doesn't lie, I am making no comment to other than Malamute's statement that the boys were "surrounding [the agent] like a pack of wolves"...

Review it for yourself...
I wasn't addressing Malamute's statement that the boys were surrounding the agent. What matters is, did the "kid" that was shot throw rocks at the agent? Apparently they all were and the "kid" just happened to take a bullet to the head. That video doesn't reveal or prove anything since it was shot from so far away. I couldn't tell what was going on.

Last edited by chicagonut; 06-10-2011 at 11:25 AM..

Old 06-10-2011, 10:58 AM

2,798 posts, read 5,380,665 times
First, the videos clearly show that these boys were crossing the line to the USA side of the border. They were taunting our agent, you know, that guy we pay to protect and guard our country's border. It can also be plainly seen that these boys were throwing rocks, BIG rocks, by the looks of it. One video of one day does not adequately show what our border agents deal with on a daily basis, including death threats, rock throwing and, at times, shots fired at them.

Secondly, where were the Federales when the taunting, running over the border line and rock throwing began? Are they not also responsible for watching THEIR area at the border? Should they not have been there to stop this harassment of an American border agent?

I don't know about the rest of you, but MY parents, as GOOD, DECENT parents do, taught me that throwing rocks was a very bad thing because it could KILL someone. My brother got caught throwing a rock at someone once, and only ONCE, and got his butt smacked with a belt for it. Spanking was reserved for the worst offenses in my family, and was not often used. I also raised my children the same way...DO NOT THROW ROCKS!

This quote from the news article posted is, in my opinion, hypocritical...

"Güereca's parents, Maria Guadalupe Güereca Betancour and Jesus Hernández, who claim Mesa "negligently, wrongfully and tortuously caused the death of Güereca.""

Really? So, how would they describe the actions of their son and his thuggish friends? I would describe their actions as negligent, wrong and torture. Generally, an act of torture is intended to draw out and extend the pain and suffering of the victim. Throwing big rocks in a barrage at a victim sounds like torture to me.

This boy's parents just found their free ride to America and they are ecstatic. I'm sure they are already spending that lawsuit money in their heads on fancy cars and big houses. They already have an AMERICAN lawyer to help them, and NOT a Mexican one.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I wasn't addressing Malamute's statement that the boys were surrounding the agent. What matters is, did the "kid" that was shot throw rocks at the agent? Apparently they all were and he just happened to take one in the head. That video doesn't reveal or prove anything since it was shot from so far away. I couldn't tell what was going on.
"Surrounded" mirrors the initial FBI press release (which also stated that it was "unknown" to which side of the border Sergio was shot). Of course that was said before they were aware that any video had recorded the incident. We find out that cell phone video can be more reliable than official statements (like the recent Miami police shooting shows as well).

And unofficial references here, that we see for ourselves are not truthful...

"We're taking more people in custody and crushing their cell phones (hope you saved away its memory chip in your mouth) because we don't know if the guy we shot had any cohorts [even through he had just fled to that area]"...

Old 06-10-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
First, the videos clearly show that these boys were crossing the line to the USA side of the border. They were taunting our agent, you know, that guy we pay to protect and guard our country's border. It can also be plainly seen that these boys were throwing rocks, BIG rocks, by the looks of it. One video of one day does not adequately show what our border agents deal with on a daily basis, including death threats, rock throwing and, at times, shots fired at them.

Secondly, where were the Federales when the taunting, running over the border line and rock throwing began? Are they not also responsible for watching THEIR area at the border? Should they not have been there to stop this harassment of an American border agent?

I don't know about the rest of you, but MY parents, as GOOD, DECENT parents do, taught me that throwing rocks was a very bad thing because it could KILL someone. My brother got caught throwing a rock at someone once, and only ONCE, and got his butt smacked with a belt for it. Spanking was reserved for the worst offenses in my family, and was not often used. I also raised my children the same way...DO NOT THROW ROCKS!

This quote from the news article posted is, in my opinion, hypocritical...

"Güereca's parents, Maria Guadalupe Güereca Betancour and Jesus Hernández, who claim Mesa "negligently, wrongfully and tortuously caused the death of Güereca.""

Really? So, how would they describe the actions of their son and his thuggish friends? I would describe their actions as negligent, wrong and torture. Generally, an act of torture is intended to draw out and extend the pain and suffering of the victim. Throwing big rocks in a barrage at a victim sounds like torture to me.

This boy's parents just found their free ride to America and they are ecstatic. I'm sure they are already spending that lawsuit money in their heads on fancy cars and big houses. They already have an AMERICAN lawyer to help them, and NOT a Mexican one.
1.) They have to use a lawyer in the United States to bring suit here...

2.) You are seeing the birds that live under the bridge fly around instead of rocks, look at the proportions and realize a rock thrown the distance would not show on video...

3.) This lawsuit will not be a "free ride to America" through immigration, and is actually not an illegal immigration topic at all...

Old 06-10-2011, 11:27 AM

2,798 posts, read 5,380,665 times
Quote:
1.) They have to use a lawyer in the United States to bring suit here...

2.) You are seeing the birds that live under the bridge fly around instead of rocks, look at the proportions and realize a rock thrown the distance would not show on video...

3.) This lawsuit will not be a "free ride to America" through immigration, and is actually not an illegal immigration topic at all...
1.) They don't have to use a lawyer at all! Didn't take them long to find one, though, even with the investigation still continuing. Naturally, they will NEVER place any blame on their child for his part in this. Just like when a gang member dies in the USA, he will be lionized in the press as "a really sweet guy."

2.) Actually, you can see rocks being thrown on this video if you look closely. I am aware that birds are also flying in the videos.

3.) Just watch, this family WILL end up living in the United States. And yes, this is an illegal immigration topic... those boys all briefly immigrated ILLEGALLY over the USA borderline in order to harass and taunt an American border agent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or