U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 10:48 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
There is nothing offensive about birthright citizenship, under certain conditions. If someone is born to natural born American parents, they, of course, hold birthright citizenship. If someone is born to parents who are LEGAL immigrants here, then they, too, are entitled to birthright citizenship. However, if a woman has deliberately entered this country ILLEGALLY for the sole purpose of giving birth to her child on American soil, THAT is offensive, sneaky and deceitful. This mother has not established citizenship LEGALLY in this country, and therefore, her child should not be granted citizenship.
Even if they don't enter this country with the "sole" purpose of giving birth on our soil it still happens and that same common sense logic should apply.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:54 AM

2,798 posts, read 5,362,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Even if they don't enter this country with the "sole" purpose of giving birth on our soil it still happens and that same common sense logic should apply.
I agree. A pregnant woman visiting here from France who goes into labor does not turn around and declare that her child is now an American citizen and they intend to stay and benefit from it. She would recover in the hospital and then return to France with her FRENCH child.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:13 PM

4,827 posts, read 4,647,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bay_area_patriot View Post
What SHOULD happen is provisions that prevent any old illegal from hopping the border and popping out a kid. Use common sense and only give citizenship to children of a LEGAL immigrant or U.S citizen, simple as that. If a lady walks in a hospital and demands they care for her and help her give birth we the taxpayers should DEMAND documentation that she or the childs father is in this country LEGALLY. If not, no U.S birth certificate. Anyone that says otherwise supports lawbreakers and is Un-American IMO. But how would something like this ever pass when people that blatantly are illegal are protesting in our streets demanding free stuff from AMERICANS are supported by Obama and his henchmen?
This makes my blood boil...
Not only that but I have a high risk pregnancy and I was supposed to have been induced yesterday but there were NO available rooms at the hospital I go to... yet every time I went there for an appointment ( about 3 times a month for 6 months ) I would be the only English speaking person there - except for one time when there was another lady in the waiting room who spoke English.

It makes me wonder how many illegal aliens are happily giving birth ahead of me, at taxpayers' expense, taking my place in line while I - a US citizen - have to wait. And no I shouldn't have to go to another hospital since this is the one that has the best care for newborns who have health problems.

S*crew this BS.

Old 06-10-2011, 02:17 PM

1,150 posts, read 991,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
This is an important bill to support as birth-right citizenship is a major incentive for illegals---and a huge financial burden for us taxpayers. Write your senators and congressmen with your support for this bill. The list is growing with congressional supporters--Ron Paul is a supporter.

Sen. John Boozman Co-Sponsors Birthright Citizenship Bill | NumbersUSA - For Lower Immigration Levels
I wrote my senator about this several months ago, saying I thought children should be citizens of their parents' countries. She answered that she didn't think children should be punished for the actions of their parents. I wrote back saying I didn't know she considered citizenship in another country as punishment. I didn't hear from her again. Anyway, it was a pretty good indiation where she stands on the issue.

Old 06-10-2011, 02:25 PM

15,756 posts, read 32,491,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
I agree. A pregnant woman visiting here from France who goes into labor does not turn around and declare that her child is now an American citizen and they intend to stay and benefit from it. She would recover in the hospital and then return to France with her FRENCH child.
She leaves with a dual French/US citizen. And she will inevitably get the kid the US passport.

She likely has no intent of living in the states or taking advantage of any US services which are likely inferior to those at home. But she wants her kid to move freely about in the US and able to live there if desired.

My sister is a naturalized Brit and her daughter is also a dual. Though she was actually born in Europe she has American citizenship through her mother.

Old 06-10-2011, 03:13 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,383,737 times
According to Wiki the US is one of very few countries that allows birthright citenship to illegals. It's time to change the law (or interpret it correctly).

Jus soli - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-10-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
According to Wiki the US is one of very few countries that allows birthright citenship to illegals. It's time to change the law (or interpret it correctly).

This needs to end, like yesterday.

Old 06-10-2011, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post

It is quite common in the western hemisphere and much rarer elsewhere. The europeans all abandoned it when their colonial nationals started to move to the mother country. They were all fine citizens of Britain as long as they lived in India...but when they started to move to England...not such fine citizens. So they had to figure out not only how to ban birth right they had to ban their own nationals.

the western hemisphere does not have that kind of pressure.

Old 06-10-2011, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
This needs to end, like yesterday.
It requires a constitutional amendment. That requires a strong concensus.

There is no strong concensus.

So it is not going to happen.

Old 06-10-2011, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
It requires a constitutional amendment. That requires a strong concensus.

There is no strong concensus.

So it is not going to happen.
You have a crystal ball? Can you give me the winning lottery numbers for tomorrow night also?

I am sure I could dig up a poll showing a strong concensus for it but I don't have the time nor the inclination right now and since you initially said there is no strong consensus for it why don't YOU prove it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration