Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 05:23 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,559,333 times

Advertisements

Total insanity.

Quote:
U.S. Is Last Remaining Developed Nation Giving Birthright Citizenship
To Tourists & Illegal Aliens.

FOLLOWING ARE ALL THE DEVELOPED NATIONS OF THE WORLD THAT OFFER
BIRTHRIGHT CITIZENSHIP TO THE BABIES OF TOURISTS AND ILLEGAL ALIENS:

United States
That's right, every other modern Developed nation in the world has
gotten rid of birthright citizenship policies.

SOME MODERN COUNTRIES THAT RECENTLY ENDED THEIR BIRTHRIGHT CITIZENSHIP
POLICY

•Canada was the last non-U.S. holdout. Illegal aliens stopped getting
citizenship for their babies in 2009.
•Australia's birthright citizenship requirements are much more
stringent than those of H.R. 1868 and took effect in 2007.
•New Zealand repealed in 2006
•Ireland repealed in 2005
•France repealed in 1993
•India repealed in 1987
•United Kingdom repealed in 1983
•Portugal repealed in 1981

The United States is the laughing stock of the modern world. Only the
U.S. values its citizenship so lowly as to distribute it promiscuously
to the off-spring of foreign citizens visiting Disney World on tourist
visas and to foreign citizens who have violated their promises on
their visitor, work and student visas to stay illegally in the
country, as well as to those who sneak across our borders.
U.S. Only Developed Nation Giving Birthright Citizenship To Tourists & Illegal Aliens

Old 06-10-2011, 05:30 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,867,424 times
Wow!!!!

I guess there is worldwide consensus!!

Old 06-10-2011, 05:35 PM

12,036 posts, read 6,565,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayarcy View Post
I wrote my senator about this several months ago, saying I thought children should be citizens of their parents' countries. She answered that she didn't think children should be punished for the actions of their parents. I wrote back saying I didn't know she considered citizenship in another country as punishment. I didn't hear from her again. Anyway, it was a pretty good indiation where she stands on the issue.
Great response you had for her! I'll have to remember that one.
Kudos for you being already out ahead on this.

Old 06-10-2011, 05:36 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,197,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
You have a crystal ball? Can you give me the winning lottery numbers for tomorrow night also?

I am sure I could dig up a poll showing a strong concensus for it but I don't have the time nor the inclination right now and since you initially said there is no strong consensus for it why don't YOU prove it?
Nonsense. The hispanic opposition alone is likely fatal. And totally prevents a consensus on the subject.

Here is an example.

Quote:
The American public is almost evenly divided as to whether current law should be changed so that children of illegal immigrants born in the United States do not automatically become citizens, a new CBS News poll finds. Forty-nine percent say the law should be kept as is, while 47 percent say it should be changed.
Read more: Poll: Americans Split over Birthright Citizenship - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

Does not even have majority support and it likely will require 75% support to have a chance of amending the Constitution.

You folk are just blowing smoke.

Old 06-10-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Nonsense. The hispanic opposition alone is likely fatal. And totally prevents a consensus on the subject.

Here is an example.

Read more: Poll: Americans Split over Birthright Citizenship - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

Does not even have majority support and it likely will require 75% support to have a chance of amending the Constitution.

Your poll is from last year. Here’s a more recent poll. . .

Quote:
According to Rasmussen Reports, a national telephone survey shows that 61 percent of likely U.S. voters believe that a child born in the United States to a woman who is here illegally should not automatically become an American citizen.

. . conducted on April 17 and 18, 2011.
Rasmussen poll: Majority support ending birthright citizenship | The Colorado Independent

Old 06-10-2011, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Your poll is from last year. Here’s a more recent poll. . .

Rasmussen poll: Majority support ending birthright citizenship | The Colorado Independent
And Pew in February had it 57% to 39%...

http://people-press.org/2011/02/24/p...o-citizenship/

Rasmussen is famous for getting these things wrong. Pew is generally pretty consistent.

But it would take well over 75% to get a constitutional amendment through.

The equal rights amendment got well past two thirds and you know where that came out.

It is a difficult undertaking and requires a concensus. YOu cannot do it with significant organized opposition.

So get over it. Not going to happen in our time.

Old 06-10-2011, 05:59 PM

Quote:
And in 6 months it goes the other way. Rasmussen is famous for getting these things wrong.

But it would take well over 75% to get a constitutional amendment through.

The equal rights amendment got well past two thirds and you know where that came out.

It is a difficult undertaking and requires a concensus. YOu cannot do it with significant organized opposition.

So get over it. Not going to happen in our time.
I think YOU are the one who must get over it. Face it, opposition is growing. The citizens of this country are sick and tired of supporting parasitic illegal aliens. Have you not noticed the comments on EVERY article pertaining to illegal immigration? Your illegal compadres will lose. Adios!

Old 06-10-2011, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I think YOU are the one who must get over it. Face it, opposition is growing. The citizens of this country are sick and tired of supporting parasitic illegal aliens. Have you not noticed the comments on EVERY article pertaining to illegal immigration? Your illegal compadres will lose. Adios!
You are too quick. Now go back and deal with the Pew Poll.

Actually they are sick of the whole issue particularly the xenophobic radicals who can't stand hispanics.

And that is your problem. You need an overwhelming concensus and you can't get a majority.

The hispanic population is now big enough to influence events. They can't control but in many places you can't win if they oppose you.

Get use to it. A little spanish welcome may be needed in some areas.

Old 06-10-2011, 06:19 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,316,367 times
Quote:

Here is an example.

Pray tell why Hispanics would object? Besides, legal Hispanics are at most about 40 million in this country ( including their pre-adult offspring). Hispanic voters only made up 10 million votes in the last presidential election. How is their opinion "fatal"? Our country is made up of over 310 million people altogether.

At nearly and even split according to that poll I don't see that it is "blowing smoke".

Old 06-10-2011, 06:32 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,316,367 times
Quote:
You are too quick. Now go back and deal with the Pew Poll.

Actually they are sick of the whole issue particularly the xenophobic radicals who can't stand hispanics.

And that is your problem. You need an overwhelming concensus and you can't get a majority.

The hispanic population is now big enough to influence events. They can't control but in many places you can't win if they oppose you.

Get use to it. A little spanish welcome may be needed in some areas.
Why is birthright citizenship a Hispanic issue? Even those who can't stand Hispanics don't base their views on "xenophobia" because Hispanics are not strangers to this country. Some may be racists or they may just be fed up with their support of their ethnic kind here illegally. In the case of the illegal kind rather than hate it is an objection based on the rule of law and it isn't just about the Hispanic kind either.

I haven't a clue what your last sentence means. Hispanics are all over this country already both legal and illegal.

10 milion Hispanic voters out of 310 million people in this country is a big influence?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration