U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 09:10 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,270,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
It's not based on desire to immigrate, but on qualifications. Most commonly, you need to be related to a U.S. citizen. You have to realize how ironic it is to me to explain a more regulated system than what some here may realize.

Other countries do not have the quantity of relationships to U.S. citizens like Mexico has. Right off, in recent years around 25% of all legal immigrants have been the spouses of U.S. citizens. Why are all these Americans marrying foreigners?

Averaging about 285,000 per year, just in legal immigration alone!...

But maybe we should get this moved to the "Legal Immigration" forum...
IMO, legal immigration shouldn't be based on whether or not a foreigner has married a U.S. citizen. It should be based on equal numbers of potential immigrants from various countries and backgrounds. How do all these U.S. citizens find all these Mexican spouses? Do they go to Mexico to meet them? Some I am sure meet them here because they are here illegally. Why should this give the U.S. citizen or the Mexican an edge on anyone else just because they decide to marry?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 09:19 AM

10,946 posts, read 8,064,538 times
[quote=IBMMuseum;19594393]It's not based on desire to immigrate, but on qualifications. Most commonly, you need to be related to a U.S. citizen. You have to realize how ironic it is to me to explain a more regulated system than what some here may realize.

Other countries do not have the quantity of relationships to U.S. citizens like Mexico has. Right off, in recent years around 25% of all legal immigrants have been the spouses of U.S. citizens. Why are all these Americans marrying foreigners?

Averaging about 285,000 per year, just in legal immigration alone!...

But maybe we should get this moved to the "Legal Immigration" forum...[/quote]

Yes, you should since all you do is to agrue in favor of legal immigrant in the illegal immigration forum. Apparently you can't tell or don't care about the difference. Your arguments are meaningless here since they don't apply to the problem.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:23 AM

2,113 posts, read 2,266,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Yes, you should since all you do is to agrue in favor of legal immigrant in the illegal immigration forum. Apparently you can't tell or don't care about the difference. Your arguments are meaningless here since they don't apply to the problem.
Agree completely with this.

We are debating illegal immigration but that poster continues to bring legal immigration into this.

Old 06-15-2011, 05:01 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,060,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
IMO, legal immigration shouldn't be based on whether or not a foreigner has married a U.S. citizen. It should be based on equal numbers of potential immigrants from various countries and backgrounds. How do all these U.S. citizens find all these Mexican spouses? Do they go to Mexico to meet them? Some I am sure meet them here because they are here illegally. Why should this give the U.S. citizen or the Mexican an edge on anyone else just because they decide to marry?
Because the United States has an immigration system based primarily on relationships to its citizens. Most other countries are even more exclusive in this regard. If you want it to be different, change the system.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Because the United States has an immigration system based primarily on relationships to its citizens. Most other countries are even more exclusive in this regard. If you want it to be different, change the system.
I have it on my to do list. I am all for equality for all potential immigrants, aren't you? Why should Americans get to change our diversity quotas just because so many of them marry into one ethnic group? No more melting pot, no more diversity, no equality under your plan.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:41 PM

Quote:
I have it on my to do list. I am all for equality for all potential immigrants, aren't you? Why should Americans get to change our diversity quotas just because so many of them marry into one ethnic group? No more melting pot, no more diversity, no equality under your plan.
It's not my plan, immigration has been this way for as long as I've been alive. Unregulated, 93% of immigration was from Europe, and they sent for family and friends even before they became citizens. I've got a Great Great Grandfather that returned to his homeland only to bring a would-be bride back to America.

They married 8 days after landing in the United States...

I'm confused why you support would-be immigrants, qualifying by having a desire to move here (are they married and have kids?), over the spouses, parents, and children of U.S. citizens...

Old 06-15-2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:
It's not my plan, immigration has been this way for as long as I've been alive. Unregulated, 93% of immigration was from Europe, and they sent for family and friends even before they became citizens. I've got a Great Great Grandfather that returned to his homeland only to bring a would-be bride back to America.

They married 8 eight days after landing in the United States...

I'm confused why you support would-be immigrants, qualifying by having a desire to move here (are they married and have kids?), over the spouses, parents, and children of U.S. citizens...
It is the plan you like however no matter how "unequal" it is. I already explained my views on this. It isn't about not putting Americans first on this issue. Americans who want to get involved with a foreinger should be made to realize that just because of their personal choices it should not change our diversity and equality agenda for importing legal immigrants. Most Americans do not go to a foreign country to find a bride. They marry Americans or legal immigrants already here. So why should we change our diversity agenda just to accomodate a minority of Americans? I am all about the national interests as a whole, not an individual's interests.

What happened in the past has nothing to do with today. It was a whole different country back then in so many ways.

Just curious why you haven't contributed to the discussions with this "huddled masses" person? I mean you have nothing to say pro or con on his/hers ideas?

Last edited by chicagonut; 06-15-2011 at 08:44 PM..

Old 06-15-2011, 10:21 PM

Quote:
It is the plan you like however no matter how "unequal" it is. I already explained my views on this. It isn't about not putting Americans first on this issue. So why should we change our diversity agenda just to accomodate a minority of Americans? ...I am all about the national interests as a whole, not an individual's interests...
But you are considering a foreigner, of specific ethnicities, without a qualifying relative to sponsor them (or they would have immigrated), that has a desire to come here...

Over the family of a U.S. citizen, of a specific ethnicity, with a qualifying relative able to sponsor them...

How is that in the national interest if we put a foreigner in front of a U.S. citizen, based on ethnicities?...

I thought that is what you were fighting against here...

I'm not answering other topics right now because I am perplexed at your position here...

Old 06-15-2011, 10:40 PM

Quote:
But you are considering a foreigner, of specific ethnicities, without a qualifying relative to sponsor them (or they would have immigrated), that has a desire to come here...

Over the family of a U.S. citizen, of a specific ethnicity, with a qualifying relative able to sponsor them...

How is that in the national interest if we put a foreigner in front of a U.S. citizen, based on ethnicities?...

I thought that is what you were fighting against here...

I'm not answering other topics right now because I am perplexed at your position here...
Re-read my post again. I explained it all. It is about putting the interests of the majority of Americans above a minority of Americans and their "choices". The best interests of Americans as a whole is to keep immigration diversified and not favoring one particular group.

You can't reply to two topics in the same evening?

Old 06-16-2011, 12:38 AM

Quote:
...No one foreign group should be treated any more special than another just because of their involvement with a U.S. citizen, assimilation not-withstanding...
So specifically a foreigner with a diversity different from the majority cultures in the United States, rather than someone like the spouse of a U.S. citizen that may assimilate more easily...

Quote:
...Not only that but when you have a diverse number of immigrants they assimilate rather than colonizing...
They assimilate quicker than the spouse of a U.S. citizen?...

Intermarriage in this land have made us very diverse, more than anywhere in the world. I often say I know I am an American by the mixtures from my diverse ancestors, not possible anywhere else. Observed over time, America is much more diversified now than any time in its past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or