U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 08:43 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,176,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
So specifically a foreigner with a diversity different from the majority cultures in the United States, rather than someone like the spouse of a U.S. citizen that may assimilate more easily...

They assimilate quicker than the spouse of a U.S. citizen?...

Intermarriage in this land have made us very diverse, more than anywhere in the world. I often say I know I am an American by the mixtures from my diverse ancestors, not possible anywhere else. Observed over time, America is much more diversified now than any time in its past.
You still aren't getting it, are you? Let me put it simply for you. Let's say our immigration quotas are 1 million per year (no increased numbers from one country just because an American decides to marry one of their citizens or for any other family reuinification reasons).

Sending countries and their "equal" quotas.

Mexico, 200,000

Germany, 200,000

Filapines, 200,000

China, 200,000

Korea, 200,000

Now I realize there are more sending countries than the above but this is just an example of what I mean by equality.

Just because 500,000 Americans make the "personal" choice of marrying a Mexican national that should not increase their quotas by 300,000. This is the kind of immigration policy I would like to see in place.

What is going to happen if too many from one country migrate here is that our demographics will shift and our culture and language diluted/altered. This is what is happening via illegal immigration from Mexico. Assimilation is not happening because of that. Mexico should lose all legal immigration quotas until we can kick out their illegal aliens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 09:21 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,241,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
You still aren't getting it, are you? Let me put it simply for you. Let's say our immigration quotas are 1 million per year (no increased numbers from one country just because an American decides to marry one of their citizens or for any other family reuinification reasons).

Mexico, 200,000

Germany, 200,000

Filapines, 200,000

China, 200,000

Korea, 200,000

Now I realize there are more sending countries than the above but this is just an example of what I mean by equality.

Just because 500,000 Americans make the "personal" choice of marrying a Mexican national that should not increase their quotas by 300,000. This is the kind of immigration policy I would like to see in place.

What is going to happen if too many from one country migrate here is that our demographics will shift and our culture and language diluted/altered. This is what is happening via illegal immigration from Mexico. Assimilation is not happening because of that. Mexico should lose all legal immigration quotas until we can kick out their illegal aliens.
Yeppers.

I dont like saying this but its time to close off ALL immigration from most countrys till we get our act together. REAL political refuges Ill let in.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:14 AM

4,896 posts, read 5,888,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikCortez View Post
Yeppers.

I dont like saying this but its time to close off ALL immigration from most countrys till we get our act together. REAL political refuges Ill let in.
Hooray ! Well said. But, so many of the so called REAL political refugees aren't REALLY that bad off....

Old 06-16-2011, 12:31 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,024,115 times
Quote:

Mexico, 200,000

Germany, 200,000

Filapines, 200,000

China, 200,000

Korea, 200,000

Again, spouses of U.S. citizens are not subject to any immigration quotas. If it is a plan you are implementing, you are failing to adjust for differing populations in countries with potential immigrants. Read the DHS documents at the link I provided to how statisticians adjust by region and population numbers.

If your plan uses that adjustment, and also sets low quantities per year, each country's quota would be used (backlogs!), and our immigration would start to import a microcosm of the diversity of the world to the United States. A poor Dominican would have the same chance as a rich Kuwaiti. Sure, that is equal for all countries and ethnicities, but I fail to see how that is in the best interest of the United States and its citizens.

I almost feel I am talking to an imposter, because this position seems to be the opposite of your stance...

Old 06-16-2011, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Again, spouses of U.S. citizens are not subject to any immigration quotas. If it is a plan you are implementing, you are failing to adjust for differing populations in countries with potential immigrants. Read the DHS documents at the link I provided to how statisticians adjust by region and population numbers.

If your plan uses that adjustment, and also sets low quantities per year, each country's quota would be used (backlogs!), and our immigration would start to import a microcosm of the diversity of the world to the United States. A poor Dominican would have the same chance as a rich Kuwaiti. Sure, that is equal for all countries and ethnicities, but I fail to see how that is in the best interest of the United States and its citizens.

I almost feel I am talking to an imposter, because this position seems to be the opposite of your stance...
I said that is the kind of immigration policy I would like to see implemented, NOT THE ONE ON THE BOOKS. Do you get it now? It IS in the best interest of this country to aid in assimilation and to remain a diverse country without one foreign culture replacing our existing one.

I have no imposters first off and second I have always held this stance. When have I ever advocated that Mexicans should get a larger quota just because of marital or family ties to a U.S. citizen?

Old 06-16-2011, 01:33 PM

23,636 posts, read 31,299,087 times
Quote:
Mexico should lose all legal immigration quotas until we can kick out their illegal aliens.
YES! THIS!

Old 06-16-2011, 02:05 PM

16,685 posts, read 28,013,549 times
Quote:
How would it be in the best interest of the US to have the majority of it's immigrants be poor, uneducated and in need of assistance programs?

I know several immigrants -- all with advanced degrees, earning some serious money -- who are making positive contributions to this country and who are paying a kings ransom in taxes. They are more than carrying their own weight here. The foreign countries from which many of the illegal aliens hail from do not offer support for the poor and welcome the fact that the US taxpayers not only are stuck with the burden, but are also the suckers who see a portion of their tax dollars sent as aid to these very same countries.

Immigration quotas help achieve a balance which is sorely needed.

Our culture is gradually being eroded, interlopers expect/demand that we yield to them. PC government officials, too afraid of upsetting a potentially powerful demographic flip and flop like a fish out of water gasping for air.

I have a plan to destroy America [Richard D. Lamm, former governor of Colorado]
Quote:
"Next to last, I would place all subjects off limits; make it taboo to talk about anything against the cult of 'diversity.' I would find a word similar to 'heretic' in the 16th century - that stopped discussion and paralyzed thinking. Words like 'racist' or 'xenophobe' halt discussion and debate. Having made America a bilingual/bicultural country, having established multi-culturism, having the large foundations fund the doctrine of 'Victimology,' I would next make it impossible to enforce our immigration laws. I would develop a mantra: That because immigration has been good for America, it must always be good. I would make every individual immigrant symmetric and ignore the cumulative impact of millions of them."
"The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum." Noam Chomsky, American linguist and U.S. media and foreign policy critic.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:25 PM

Quote:
...It IS in the best interest of this country to aid in assimilation and to remain a diverse country without one foreign culture replacing our existing one...
If an immigrant is able to qualify for naturalization, doesn't that normally mean they are assimilating as required? Spouses of U.S. citizens can naturalize almost twice as quick as other legal immigrants, 3 years instead of 5 years. And they must be married to that U.S. citizen at the time of naturalization, and at least 3 years prior. In most cases they are married longer (either adjusting status from within the United States, or overseas and moving back to the United States.

Married to a U.S. citizen is the best way to know how to assimilate to the United States, especially if it is a marriage to a servicemember...

Quote:
...When have I ever advocated that Mexicans should get a larger quota just because of marital or family ties to a U.S. citizen?
The statistic is not isolated by nationality, in recent years it has been that over 25% on average of legal immigrants from all over are married to U.S. citizens...

Old 06-16-2011, 08:47 PM

Quote:
If an immigrant is able to qualify for naturalization, doesn't that normally mean they are assimilating as required? Spouses of U.S. citizens can naturalize almost twice as quick as other legal immigrants, 3 years instead of 5 years. And they must be married to that U.S. citizen at the time of naturalization, and at least 3 years prior. In most cases they are married longer (either adjusting status from within the United States, or overseas and moving back to the United States.

Married to a U.S. citizen is the best way to know how to assimilate to the United States, especially if it is a marriage to a servicemember...

The statistic is not isolated by nationality, in recent years it has been that over 25% on average of legal immigrants from all over are married to U.S. citizens...
Why do you keep repeating yourself over and over when I already stated that the immigration policies I would like to see put in place is equal numbers from different natonalities/ethnic groups annually to still remain diversified without diluting our identifying demographic makeup, culture and language? Just because an American decides to marry a foreigner or has ties to foreigners that should not change that "equal" policy. Now are you done with the constant repeats? I'm certainly tired of repeating myself over and over.

Just an added note. If Hispanics are assimilating so well then why are so many of them advocates for illegal aliens? Why would they put their illegal brethern above the laws of this country?

Old 06-16-2011, 09:21 PM

Quote:
...If Hispanics are assimilating so well then why are so many of them advocates for illegal aliens? Why would they put their illegal brethern above the laws of this country?
How far does that advocacy go?...

They have to attest on the N-400 (for naturalization) of whether they have assisted anyone to come or stay in the United States illegally...

Although it is generally disregarded for a Legal Permanent Resident married to an illegal alien...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or