U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-10-2011, 11:33 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Reputation: 22158

Advertisements

Cross-Border Shootout Update: 300 Rounds Exchanged - News Story - KVIA El Paso (http://www.kvia.com/news/28200731/detail.html - broken link)

Around 300 rounds were fired during a shootout across the Rio Grande between reputed drug runners and U.S. law enforcement. But investigators say only "at least six" came from the suspects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-11-2011, 08:52 AM
 
Location: Tempe, Az
1,421 posts, read 1,237,724 times
Reputation: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Cross-Border Shootout Update: 300 Rounds Exchanged - News Story - KVIA El Paso (http://www.kvia.com/news/28200731/detail.html - broken link)

Around 300 rounds were fired during a shootout across the Rio Grande between reputed drug runners and U.S. law enforcement. But investigators say only "at least six" came from the suspects.
DONT shoot or throw rocks at into the USA and on one gets hurt. Yes: Im talking bout Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2011, 09:04 AM
 
16,741 posts, read 9,472,016 times
Reputation: 12137
the Yuma Sun was consistantly printing stories of U.S. border agents being hurt by Mexicans throwing rocks over the fences at their patrol vehicles. Many incidents of drug interceptions going awry with at least one having the Mexican army show up to respond with gunfire into the U.S. to "aid' the escape of drug runners back onto mexican soil.

You have to ask yourselves how this has been allowed to continue for so many years already, without the appropriate response from Federal authorities?

I'm sure the reasonable question to Washington on behalf of state leaders would probably take the form of: either lead, or follow but in the meantime get the hell out my way!

If a similar situation were to exist with your northern border as an example; if native cigarette smugglers being intercepted by U.S. Border agents are then aided in their escape back into Canadian reservation territory by the Canadian military with a few rounds fired into the U.S., how long before Washington would respond with closing the border completely and perhaps even some military incursion of some type?

Why is it tolerated from your neighbour to the south but, I believe, a given that it would not be from your northern one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2011, 12:18 PM
 
Location: California
884 posts, read 584,827 times
Reputation: 293
I love the part in the article that says "U.S. authorities say they have a "zero tolerance" policy when guns are pointed at them." Nice, very nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2011, 12:56 PM
 
Location: NW Las Vegas - Lone Mountain
15,756 posts, read 32,484,948 times
Reputation: 2661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvmycountry View Post
I love the part in the article that says "U.S. authorities say they have a "zero tolerance" policy when guns are pointed at them." Nice, very nice.
Actually untrue. There have been numerous face offs between Mexican and US authorities on the border where guns were pointed at the US forces.

These are two sovereign nations. They both can and do use or threaten to use lethal force.

we could of course simply invade. Mexico would likely surrender within the month. Than what? Does solve the illegal problem...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2011, 03:02 PM
 
Location: Tempe, Az
1,421 posts, read 1,237,724 times
Reputation: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Actually untrue. There have been numerous face offs between Mexican and US authorities on the border where guns were pointed at the US forces.

These are two sovereign nations. They both can and do use or threaten to use lethal force.

we could of course simply invade. Mexico would likely surrender within the month. Than what? Does solve the illegal problem...
Yeah. The LAST thing we wana do is fix a broken Mexico. Its already fallin apart now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2011, 03:24 PM
 
Location: Near the water
8,219 posts, read 11,248,855 times
Reputation: 3847
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikCortez View Post
Yeah. The LAST thing we wana do is fix a broken Mexico. Its already fallin apart now.
It isn't our place to "fix" it.....it is a dump, leave it that way. If the people wanted better they could get off their butts and do it. They can keep themselves, their drugs and filth on that side of the border, we are not interested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2011, 05:01 PM
 
Location: NW Las Vegas - Lone Mountain
15,756 posts, read 32,484,948 times
Reputation: 2661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
It isn't our place to "fix" it.....it is a dump, leave it that way. If the people wanted better they could get off their butts and do it. They can keep themselves, their drugs and filth on that side of the border, we are not interested.
Actually their terrible problem with drugs is virtually completely driven by the US market. It is our drugs that are so badly screwing up the less well off Mexican social system.

Note that the Mexicans have roughly the same per capita income as Russia. So they are not exactly broke. The 11th largest economy in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2011, 06:50 PM
 
Location: Tempe, Az
1,421 posts, read 1,237,724 times
Reputation: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Actually their terrible problem with drugs is virtually completely driven by the US market. It is our drugs that are so badly screwing up the less well off Mexican social system.

Note that the Mexicans have roughly the same per capita income as Russia. So they are not exactly broke. The 11th largest economy in the world.
Mexico can take care of its poor people cause it AINT poor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2011, 07:48 PM
 
Location: NW Las Vegas - Lone Mountain
15,756 posts, read 32,484,948 times
Reputation: 2661
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikCortez View Post
Mexico can take care of its poor people cause it AINT poor.
Actually something we agree on.

But it also represents a substantial opportunity for the US, both public and private, to fix this nagging problem. And make some money in the bargain.

Baja is absolutely as nice as So CA...and there is a thousand miles of it.

What better spot for the American or Mexican entrepreneur?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top