U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 10:02 AM

3,855 posts, read 4,086,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
The child and her father in the article were crossing legally through a Port of Entry. How can you be an "illegal" in following immigration law? I know of a U.S. citizen mother that lives in Juarez (her husband has a 10-year ban from the United States) that brings her kids across daily to go to school and goes to work in El Paso.
Crossing the border legally does not make that child a resident of the school district. Unless you know of a law which allows a non resident to attend school in a district they are not eligible for...it is illegal regardless of the pesrons immigration status or nationality.

But I dont know if Alabama has a problem with students crossing the border to attend school then returning across the border in the evening...

Last edited by 1751texan; 06-14-2011 at 10:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 10:16 AM

5,302 posts, read 4,011,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
Crossing the border legally does not make that child a resident of the school district. Unless you know of a law which allows a non resident to attend school in a district they are not eligible for...it is illegal regardless of the pesrons immigration status or nationality.
I am commenting purely on immigration status in attending school, not how the student would qualify in that school district. Some districts increase their numbers by importing students (a community close to where I live did pick up students by bus after they crossed from Mexico, but I have not heard about it recently). It's not an illegal immigration topic if the children are crossing the border legally.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
...But I dont know if Alabama has a problem with students crossing the border to attend school then returning across the border in the evening...
My thoughts as well when I composed my post, to get back on-topic. I've only heard of cases in our states of Texas and New Mexico, a few school districts that are in border cities. And I've heard nothing recently, despite living some distance from a school district that deliberately bused students in before.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:51 AM

3,855 posts, read 4,086,323 times
Quote:
I am commenting purely on immigration status in attending school, not how the student would qualify in that school district. Some districts increase their numbers by importing students (a community close to where I live did pick up students by bus after they crossed from Mexico, but I have not heard about it recently). It's not an illegal immigration topic if the children are crossing the border legally.

right...nor does it make the Almama more rational.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:47 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Quote:
In the example you are mentioning here, they are crossing by foot at the Port of Entry:

"...El Paso's Vilas Elementary School serves grades PK-5 in the El Paso Independent School District. It is among the few public schools in Texas to receive a distinguished 'GreatSchools' Rating of 8 out of 10. The school community has reviewed this school and given it an average rating of 5 out of 5 stars..."

"...Total Students (2009 - 2010): 304
Fulltime teachers: 21.6
Student/Teacher Ratio: 14.0
Eligible for discounted/free lunch: 270 ( 89 %)..."

Sounds like a pretty good school to me...
So this somehow justifies those kids that ARE illegal aliens getting an education and free meals on our dime?

Old 06-15-2011, 11:48 AM

16,685 posts, read 27,895,432 times
Quote:
You are confusing the use of Spanish with immigration status. My kids initially had to learn in Spanish, with my wife needing some conferences in Spanish. Luckily for the school district that they didn't speak some dialect from East Bjorkistan.

Today you will find my kids in school are not discernible from the native-born (despite still being Mexican Nationals)...

You should recognize when someone is trying to skirt the law.
Will the children become naturalized, or will they reap the benefits of mama's marriage to you?

Old 06-15-2011, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Will the children become naturalized, or will they reap the benefits of mama's marriage to you?
Once my wife naturalizes we will submit an N-600 (application for certificate of citizenship) for the younger two, since they are still minors when their mother becomes a citizen they are too. My military service makes those petitions cost-free to us. Our eldest will have to naturalize on her own, since she "aged-out" for any derivative citizenship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or