U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-24-2011, 08:54 AM
 
1,569 posts, read 1,005,007 times
Reputation: 111

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFPeak View Post
Maybe "defending minorities" is a HUMAN thing to do and has nothing to do with race. Good reason to me, don't you think?

As for morons tho.....
I think chicagonut and co. have made it clear that, minorities or not, they explicitly do not care about non-Americans. Most of us have avoided the "treat human beings equally" vs. "treat those in your own country better" debate, but maybe we should have it.

 
Old 06-24-2011, 08:59 AM
 
106 posts, read 215,763 times
Reputation: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFPeak View Post
The "Hispanic" community existed here in the SW before white Americans. They are 30% of Arizona. Many here still have family in the old country. They are as American as you, no matter what you and your papers say. Latinos HAVE advocated for just immigration laws, you just don't listen. The guest worker program is broken because big business, not crop farmers, want it that way.

You are again in keeping with the "victim mentality" just like when Native Indians were inconvenient to "white" expansion and superiority.
Wow, those returning people must be very very old by now. As for those illegals from Africa and China, when did they occupy CA and AZ?
 
Old 06-24-2011, 09:04 AM
 
2,113 posts, read 2,241,231 times
Reputation: 1758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
I think chicagonut and co. have made it clear that, minorities or not, they explicitly do not care about non-Americans. Most of us have avoided the "treat human beings equally" vs. "treat those in your own country better" debate, but maybe we should have it.
Wrong. Americans welcome legal immigrants. It's the illegals that we do not care for.
 
Old 06-24-2011, 09:05 AM
 
9,243 posts, read 7,096,522 times
Reputation: 2199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
I think chicagonut and co. have made it clear that, minorities or not, they explicitly do not care about non-Americans. Most of us have avoided the "treat human beings equally" vs. "treat those in your own country better" debate, but maybe we should have it.
We are concerned about rule of law & our country.

People come here legally. What should we do with them in regards to illeglas?

People buy food with money others steal.

What do we do with them?
 
Old 06-24-2011, 09:10 AM
 
Location: California
2,477 posts, read 1,711,133 times
Reputation: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFPeak View Post
The "Hispanic" community existed here in the SW before white Americans.
Don't you mean "Spanish"? Since it was Spain that controlled the Southwest for centuries.
Quote:
Many here still have family in the old country.
Would that be "New Spain" or "Spain"?
Quote:
They are as American as you, no matter what you and your papers say.
Chicano ideology?
Quote:
The guest worker program is broken because big business, not crop farmers, want it that way.
Maybe it's because they are not needed for 10 months, since most harvesting only lasts between 2 - 4 months. I say we reduce the H-2A down from 10 months to only 4 months. Now it's no longer broken.
 
Old 06-24-2011, 09:13 AM
 
1,569 posts, read 1,005,007 times
Reputation: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
We are concerned about rule of law & our country.

People come here legally. What should we do with them in regards to illeglas?

People buy food with money others steal.

What do we do with them?
If anyone is "stealing money" they should be charged as such.

I'm concerned with the rule of law, too. I'm also concerned with wasting police resources.
 
Old 06-24-2011, 09:16 AM
 
Location: Sierra Vista, AZ
16,116 posts, read 20,145,602 times
Reputation: 8204
So now, when the former middle class go to Unemployment they can be told to go pick veggies for minimum wage because their benefits will be cut off. Welcome to the Third World Georgians those crops are rotting in the fields
 
Old 06-24-2011, 09:22 AM
 
1,569 posts, read 1,005,007 times
Reputation: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
Wrong. Americans welcome legal immigrants. It's the illegals that we do not care for.
I welcome both, and I am very much an American. I don't appreciate my opinion being ignored.

But, as I've stated, Congress is free to pass a law legalizing what is now illegal immigration. You'd STILL oppose that law, even though they'd now be "legal immigrants," which you claim to welcome. Is that not correct?
 
Old 06-24-2011, 10:40 AM
 
Location: Arizona
93 posts, read 60,653 times
Reputation: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
Don't you mean "Spanish"? Since it was Spain that controlled the Southwest for centuries.

Would that be "New Spain" or "Spain"?

Chicano ideology?

Maybe it's because they are not needed for 10 months, since most harvesting only lasts between 2 - 4 months. I say we reduce the H-2A down from 10 months to only 4 months. Now it's no longer broken.
1- Hispanic is the ethnicity of many of the people south of our border. They may or may not be of Spanish heritage. So your point?

2- Is Chicano "ideology" somehow "un" American? How? Self-described Chicanos view the term as a positive self-identifying social construction.
Maybe you consider it a pejorative term like Kraut, Wap, or Mickey? Maybe I call myself one of those terms.

3- If you really believe the harvest season is 2 - 4 months, you really need to get out and about more. And you certainly don't know the meaning of "migrant".
 
Old 06-24-2011, 11:38 AM
 
Location: California
2,477 posts, read 1,711,133 times
Reputation: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFPeak View Post
1- Hispanic is the ethnicity of many of the people south of our border. They may or may not be of Spanish heritage. So your point?

2- Is Chicano "ideology" somehow "un" American? How? Self-described Chicanos view the term as a positive self-identifying social construction.
Maybe you consider it a pejorative term like Kraut, Wap, or Mickey? Maybe I call myself one of those terms.

3- If you really believe the harvest season is 2 - 4 months, you really need to get out and about more. And you certainly don't know the meaning of "migrant".
1) Hispanic refers to Hispania, a reference to the Iberian Peninsula in Spain, not to "people south of the border", that would be Latino for Latin American.
2) Pejorative or not, I care not. The Chicano Ideology in and of itself refers to political engagement, the consequence of an interaction between a specific cultural context and contending, contentious social efforts, civic events, and ideological beliefs. It is the Chicano Ideological beliefs that are of concern.
3) I work in the Agriculture Industry, a farmers crop has a harvest time of between 2 - 4 months. A "migrant", is someone who goes from harvest to harvest, usually working at each for 2 - 4 months. Now, since you failed to actually make an argument as to what is broken about the H-2A Visa, what is your proposal in solving the issue?

Now, how about answering the questions I posed vs showing ignorance to the issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top