U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2011, 12:13 PM

17 posts, read 7,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viridian Ideals View Post
You find the mass immigration of Mexicans undesirable? Why? What about mass immigration of Europeans? No problems there, I see...
It would depend on the Europeans, I think. Like, from which part? Scandinavians would be fine. Roma, not so much.

Last edited by Al Swedgin; 06-25-2011 at 12:30 PM..

Old 06-25-2011, 12:17 PM

82 posts, read 73,778 times
Quote:
You find the mass immigration of Mexicans undesirable? Why? What about mass immigration of Europeans? No problems there, I see...
Mass migrations of Europeans at this point? No. The environmental load on this country is high enough. I'd prefer 100M or fewer US citizens rather than the 1/3 billion we are heading towards.

If there was space on the bus, I would vastly favor Europeans. If you look at daily life and the general advancement of Mexico vs. England or Switzerland or France or Australia (honorary Europeans for the sake of this), you can answer your own question.

Old 06-25-2011, 12:20 PM

118 posts, read 80,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRavenSpeaks View Post
I've read these kinds of 'discussions' for years, and they usually fall into one of several groups.

The primary variety consists of anti-illegal posters being in favor of either a proposed or passed legislation and the pro-illegal posters explaining why all 100 or so of those bits of law or regulation don't fit into some precise pigeonhole of legality, practicality, or fairness.

You forgot the anti-illegals efforts to marginalize and dehumanize the subjects that goes well beyond simply being in favor of legislation.

Quote:
I'm afraid that the majority of the general public feels burned enough by the last 20 years of 'compromises', that they'll read such a thing with a jaundiced eye
Compromises such as?

Old 06-25-2011, 12:27 PM

118 posts, read 80,343 times
Quote:
If there was space on the bus, I would vastly favor Europeans. If you look at daily life and the general advancement of Mexico vs. England or Switzerland or France or Australia (honorary Europeans for the sake of this), you can answer your own question.
So, European culture > Mexican culture and that's reflective of the people more-so than their countries political/social environments? hmm...

Old 06-25-2011, 12:41 PM

15 posts, read 8,266 times
Quote:
Mass migrations of Europeans at this point? No. The environmental load on this country is high enough. I'd prefer 100M or fewer US citizens rather than the 1/3 billion we are heading towards.

Well does this carry across to individuals coming from France or Australia? Does being from those countries carry some biological or cultural function that makes an individual from that country better than say an individual from Mexico or Guatemala?

Keeping in mind I am talking about individuals or rather a series of individuals.

Old 06-25-2011, 03:00 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,172,244 times
Quote:
No, I'm sorry, that is not true. That does not fit this board's narrative that illegal aliens are all irresponsible selfish people that can't make the proper decisions for their children, therefore it is a lie.
Truth be told if one really loves their children they will care for them themselves not pass them on to relatives or adopt them out.

Old 06-25-2011, 03:02 PM

Quote:
I'm just putting a definition on the intention, which everyone knew anyhow so what was the point really? Probably just wasted typing.

For clarity really, there's 'citizens' and 'aliens'. The latter class split into 'legal' and 'illegal'.

The people who are in favor of massive illegal numbers can't stand to use the word 'alien' because, I guess, it has a bad ring to it. Maybe it implies people from outer space. Really, using anything but the term 'alien' is a kind of sophistry, but...but...phrases like 'illegal immigrant' have this funny softened meaning that imply not only a right to be in the US, but have a sort of fait accompli built into them.

In this case, words have power. 'Illegal alien' implies someone who needs rounding up (which, of course, they do), while 'undocumented worker' implies someone who merely needs a $10 license from a county office. If you say the latter phrase enough, it becomes reality over time.
Bingo! You have just nailed the reason why the pro-illegals won't use the correct terminology for those in our country illegally. Who do they think they are fooling?

Old 06-25-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoltronRoad View Post
Easy to say for someone who has never lived in abject poverty.
You don't know me so how can you say that? Assume, much? FYI, I am the eldest of 8 children and we did indeed live in abject poverty when we were kids.

Old 06-25-2011, 03:08 PM

2,798 posts, read 5,379,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Yeah, so much for their cries of "separation of family" when they are doing it themselves.
They just can't seem to be able to take any blame upon themselves for their situation.

Old 06-25-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
And tends to make them into fire-breathing activists for the experience of separation...
Then it is their parents fault, not this country's fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or