U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2011, 03:13 PM

2,798 posts, read 5,379,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
I've never really understood why I often see the term "U.S. citizens" with an additional identifier of "legal" here. A citizen is "legal" anyway, and doesn't need the further identifier. Unless there are some identified as "illegal citizens".
A U.S. citizen is one who was born here of parents who were also born here or have aquired LEGAL citizenship, ie "Naturalizations" through the accepted legal channels.

A LEGAL citizen is one who went through the immigration process in the expected, LEGAL way, lived and worked here LEGALLY for a specific number of years as a legal permanent resident and then applied to become a NATURALIZED citizen.

ILLEGALS have ignored all of the above.

Old 06-25-2011, 03:23 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,172,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Swedgin View Post
It would depend on the Europeans, I think. Like, from which part? Scandinavians would be fine. Roma, not so much.
In this day and age our country doesn't need mass migration from anywhere. I am all for immigration in reasonable numbers that will not negatively impact our own citizens and for keeping it diverse rather than from one particular ethnic/national group. It would nullify our melting pot otherwise and would end up being colonization rather than assimilation. We are seeing it happening right now due to massive illegal immigration.

Old 06-25-2011, 03:26 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,007,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
A U.S. citizen is one who was born here of parents who were also born here or have aquired LEGAL citizenship, ie "Naturalizations" through the accepted legal channels.
Well no, this is not correct. Your parents need not be born here nor do they need to be legal citizens. These are not two distinct categories.

Old 06-25-2011, 03:47 PM

35 posts, read 18,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Swedgin View Post
It would depend on the Europeans, I think. Like, from which part? Scandinavians would be fine. Roma, not so much.
But let me guess, you're not a racist, right?

Old 06-25-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRavenSpeaks View Post
Mass migrations of Europeans at this point? No. The environmental load on this country is high enough. I'd prefer 100M or fewer US citizens rather than the 1/3 billion we are heading towards.
How did you arrive at your determination of the optimal number of (white) people in this country?

Old 06-25-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post

A LEGAL citizen is one who went through the immigration process in the expected, LEGAL way, lived and worked here LEGALLY for a specific number of years as a legal permanent resident and then applied to become a NATURALIZED citizen.

ILLEGALS have ignored all of the above.
Can you cite the statutes where all of this is defined?

Old 06-25-2011, 04:02 PM

17 posts, read 7,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAnumber1 View Post
But let me guess, you're not a racist, right?
Aren't Europeans one race?

Sorry, take your race card back.

Old 06-25-2011, 05:29 PM

118 posts, read 80,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Truth be told if one really loves their children they will care for them themselves not pass them on to relatives or adopt them out.
Truth be told, if you believe this, your point of reference is very narrow.

Old 06-25-2011, 05:34 PM

118 posts, read 80,343 times
Quote:
Can you cite the statutes where all of this is defined?
I'm sure the source is right next to her map that has the country of Africa on it.

Old 06-25-2011, 05:37 PM

82 posts, read 73,778 times
Quote:
How did you arrive at your determination of the optimal number of (white) people in this country?
Just a flyer at a number really. The US population in 1910 was a smidge under 100M, the lower 48 map had been filled in with states (Arizona is what? 1912 or so?). Southern California, probably the prettiest area in the country in a lot of ways, wasn't a giant sea of humanity.

100 million is probably enough to fly to the moon, to design computer processors, to build automobiles from scratch. The marginal value of all the extra lbs of flesh seems fairly low to me. While the total economy has grown, I very much doubt that the per capita quality of life has anything added to it by a huge increase in population. If you think that the primary product of humanity is to produce more humanity, you may feel differently.

It isn't so much white people that matter here, since race is such a tiny component of behavior and abilities (if any, really), but you can make a strong argument that a homogeneous culture is highly desirable. Practically any Western European culture will do, but ours happens to be largely English.

I'd say that, generally speaking, medium sized and homogenous, Northern European countries have been proven models to follow. Whether it's Finland, Denmark, Iceland, Switzerland, Sweden, the strong non-governmental ties that bind the population together seem very strong. It isn't what they do, so much, but how they go about doing it.

So, what provably doesn't work? Spanish colonies in the New World certainly qualify. Argentina might have had a go at it, but due to the immigration patterns there, they are probably a special case. You might ask then why the US would find it desirable to import tens of millions of people from failed countries and social systems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or