U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2011, 07:47 PM

82 posts, read 73,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Hot flash for ya, we already have millions of citizens who may look different or talk different and most of us have no problem with them.
Like people from New Jersey.

Honestly, it would surprise the heck out of me to get any kind of immigration plan from the pro-illegal crowd. The rhetoric appears mostly based on some sort of visceral dislike of white guys in cowboy hats. Go figure.

I'll throw the question out generally. Assuming control of the border, easily enough accomplished if we spent a fraction the money and manpower that's being spent on Afghanistan and left that bedraggled country alone, what's a good rule set?

I'll throw out an overly simplistic one that's far more generous than my instincts say is reasonable.

. Roughly modelled on what you see in places like Australia.
. Arrive at a reasonable rate of assimilation. Let's call it 500k/yr (just to invent a number).
. Must pass health exam. No aids patients, terminal cancer, etc.
. Must possess a needed skill, at this point we should high grade doctors, engineers, etc. from everywhere else.
. Evenly distributed across the world. Perhaps even to the point where countries receive a given amount of slots based on population.
. Special exception made for those on student visas who receive a PhD and wish to stay in the US.
. Between the age of 19 and 45.
. May bring a spouse and minor children. No secondary immigration like grandparents.

US farmers and chicken packing houses can automate or pay a decent wage and hire locals.

Of course, US immigration law somewhat rhymes with all of this, but what would a clean sheet say?

Old 06-25-2011, 07:54 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,172,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRavenSpeaks View Post
Like people from New Jersey.

Honestly, it would surprise the heck out of me to get any kind of immigration plan from the pro-illegal crowd. The rhetoric appears mostly based on some sort of visceral dislike of white guys in cowboy hats. Go figure.

I'll throw the question out generally. Assuming control of the border, easily enough accomplished if we spent a fraction the money and manpower that's being spent on Afghanistan and left that bedraggled country alone, what's a good rule set?

I'll throw out an overly simplistic one that's far more generous than my instincts say is reasonable.

. Roughly modelled on what you see in places like Australia.
. Arrive at a reasonable rate of assimilation. Let's call it 500k/yr (just to invent a number).
. Must pass health exam. No aids patients, terminal cancer, etc.
. Must possess a needed skill, at this point we should high grade doctors, engineers, etc. from everywhere else.
. Evenly distributed across the world. Perhaps even to the point where countries receive a given amount of slots based on population.
. Special exception made for those on student visas who receive a PhD and wish to stay in the US.
. Between the age of 19 and 45.
. May bring a spouse and minor children. No secondary immigration like grandparents.

US farmers and chicken packing houses can automate or pay a decent wage and hire locals.

Of course, US immigration law somewhat rhymes with all of this, but what would a clean sheet say?
I would agree with most of your plan, however we still need to set limits on immigration that will not negatively impact our own citizens while keepiing in mind population growth and our ability to provide the jobs and resources to a given population number. Diversity from different backgrouds, yes! I am all for that!

Old 06-25-2011, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFPeak View Post
Shouldn't be any limits. Simply a willingness to work hard and play by reasonable laws of the US and the states should be enough.
By God, a straightforward and honest answer. You sir, deserve a medal.

Why doesn't anyone ever say that? There's been a tremendous amount of verbage concerning whether or not it's right for a local (as opposed to federal, for whom it's OK) policeman to determine nationality, and the other hundred issues with immigration enforcement.

Just so I get this straight, is that essentially the philosophy of the pro-illegal crowd? That there should be no limits to immigration to the US (excepting, let's say, people with heinous criminal records...no jaywalking for instance).

If so, that should be the sole topic in a forum like this.

A quick follow up to SFPeak, if you'll indulge me. To the extent of your knowledge, should that same philosophy be applied to all other countries? just to those that are immigrant based (Australia and New Zealand spring to mind)? Canada? Just the US?

Old 06-25-2011, 07:55 PM

951 posts, read 617,811 times
Quote:
That's a lie and you know it! I have never said I object to anyone who looks different or talks different. My objection is to illegal immigration, period! Take your race card and shove it with the rest of your tag team in here.
Let's not forget about your attitude and beliefs about the guy testifying in Spanish in court. He was here legally yet you are still in an uproar.

Old 06-25-2011, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huddledmasses View Post
LOL.

You weren't defending that position right here? If it wasn't your position, who were you defending?

I'll just add this one too:
The truth is racist? Americans aren't illegally invading Hispanic countries so they can increase the numbers of countries that they are the majority in, are they? I think you have the racist shoe on the wrong foot here.

Old 06-25-2011, 07:59 PM

Quote:
I would agree with most of your plan, however we still need to set limits on immigration that will not negatively impact our own citizens while keepiing in mind population growth and our ability to provide the jobs and resources to a given population number. Diversity from different backgrouds, yes! I am all for that!
One thing I forgot to add would be some mechanism for discouraging ghettos. Perhaps tax breaks with strong encouragement to fan out to different areas within the US.

Old 06-25-2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Let's not forget about your attitude and beliefs about the guy testifying in Spanish in court. He was here legally yet you are still in an uproar.
Mine and many others, so why are you singling me out? It was about time and place of language usage, not speaking another langauge per se. How many times do you have to be told that?

Old 06-25-2011, 08:01 PM

951 posts, read 617,811 times
Quote:
Mine and many others, so why are you singling me out? It was about time and place of language usage, not speaking another langauge per se. How many times do you have to be told that?
Then your problem isn't just with illegals because he was legal. How many times do you have to be told that? You just said you have no problem with people that talk differently not 5 minutes ago.

Old 06-25-2011, 08:36 PM

2,798 posts, read 5,379,486 times
Quote:
Doesn't matter that he is here legally. The language of the land is ENGLISH, which is the language that our most important documents are in, such as the Constitution. If he wants to speak Spanish to his heart's content within his own home or with family and friends, fine, but when addressing an AMERICAN audience he should have been speaking in ENGLISH. I'm sure one of the reasons these people use an interpretor is so that if they say something that angers people or causes an uproar they can blame it on the interpretor and claim they misunderstood what was being said.

Old 06-25-2011, 08:37 PM

2,477 posts, read 1,716,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRavenSpeaks View Post
One thing I forgot to add would be some mechanism for discouraging ghettos. Perhaps tax breaks with strong encouragement to fan out to different areas within the US.
Becareful envoking Ben Franklin into this, remember they take his quote out of context and claim racism with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or