U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-20-2011, 08:18 PM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,009,391 times
Reputation: 601

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
There would be no reason for a state to do that. SB1070 wasn't about legal visa holders but illegal aliens. Sh*t happens sometimes but hardly ever as in the scenarios you are painting...
SB1070 wasn't about Legal Permanent Residents? I thought the whole premise was about having immigration papers and making sure documents were valid. Why isn't it so much of a leap?

"If THEY don't like it THEY can go back to THEIR COUNTRY!"

How often do we hear (or say) this here? Even against U.S. citizens? Or Hispanics (as citizens or LPRs) categorized with illegal aliens? Not using terminology like "illegal aliens", just call them all "Mexicans".

In states passing these legislations, legal immigrants and citizens are also going elsewhere. Families not tied to illegal immigration. They start to feel unwelcome, and look for someplace they feel is more tolerant.

"Good riddance! THEY weren't assimilating! THEY can take THEIR culture away too!"

Isn't this what I see come up here?...

Tell me why it isn't possible when you let hysteria loose...

 
Old 06-20-2011, 08:50 PM
 
Location: Tempe, Az
1,421 posts, read 1,237,529 times
Reputation: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
SB1070 wasn't about Legal Permanent Residents? I thought the whole premise was about having immigration papers and making sure documents were valid. Why isn't it so much of a leap?

"If THEY don't like it THEY can go back to THEIR COUNTRY!"

How often do we hear (or say) this here? Even against U.S. citizens? Or Hispanics (as citizens or LPRs) categorized with illegal aliens? Not using terminology like "illegal aliens", just call them all "Mexicans".

In states passing these legislations, legal immigrants and citizens are also going elsewhere. Families not tied to illegal immigration. They start to feel unwelcome, and look for someplace they feel is more tolerant.

"Good riddance! THEY weren't assimilating! THEY can take THEIR culture away too!"

Isn't this what I see come up here?...

Tell me why it isn't possible when you let hysteria loose...
Let them go. MOST of those legal people probably have illegal aliens as friends or family.
 
Old 06-20-2011, 09:57 PM
 
346 posts, read 616,114 times
Reputation: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
SB1070 wasn't about Legal Permanent Residents? I thought the whole premise was about having immigration papers and making sure documents were valid. Why isn't it so much of a leap?

"If THEY don't like it THEY can go back to THEIR COUNTRY!"

How often do we hear (or say) this here? Even against U.S. citizens? Or Hispanics (as citizens or LPRs) categorized with illegal aliens? Not using terminology like "illegal aliens", just call them all "Mexicans".

In states passing these legislations, legal immigrants and citizens are also going elsewhere. Families not tied to illegal immigration. They start to feel unwelcome, and look for someplace they feel is more tolerant.

"Good riddance! THEY weren't assimilating! THEY can take THEIR culture away too!"

Isn't this what I see come up here?...

Tell me why it isn't possible when you let hysteria loose...

The whole perception of Mexican = Illegal is for starters that:
A.) A majority of illegal immigrants are of Mexican descent.
B.) The media loves to portray the pro-illegal side, most of which have Hispanic surname. When everyone that is "pro-illegal" is portrayed as Hispanic, you are painting a negative light of us.

I am constantly annoyed time and time again at illegals lumping us US citizens of Mexican descent with them. My family came here legally, why can't theirs?

Laws like SB1070 and Georgia's new law may appear "tough" on the outside, but they are necessary. Illegal aliens are violating our immigration laws, and should not feel welcomed. Don't like it? Move to California. Despite Obama, we are a nation of laws.

Carrying "papers" (I love that term, as if it's a giant stack of papers legal immigrants must carry around) is not really burdensome. If you have a legal resident card you just tuck it away in your wallet with your drivers license - unless having a drivers license is burdensome as well?

The whole "GO BACK TO YOUR COUNTRY" thing is for those who come here and don't assimilate. I have never seen that said to an American of Hispanic descent who embraces American culture. This is a diverse country of different ethnic backgrounds, but what made America so great is that these immigrants came here, respected this country, learned the language, and did not demand anything. This new breed of illegals come here and want everything catered to them. They want immigration laws virtually destroyed, they want everything printed in their language, and it seems they also have a hostile attitude towards Americans because "They don't like us being here illegally".

I could go on and on, but my main point is -- If a state is unwelcoming to those who break the law, then I see nothing wrong with that. Those who are citizens/legal have nothing to fear and should educate themselves so they won't have to leave the state for nothing.
 
Old 06-20-2011, 10:05 PM
 
15,924 posts, read 16,847,914 times
Reputation: 7619
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
Okay when we all start paying outrageously high prices for groceries and other goods you will be wishing the illegals were here.
I'd gladly pay higher prices to see all the illegal aliens deported from America

To be able to go shopping not seeing the fat woman with 9 spawn trailing behind her....
 
Old 06-20-2011, 10:15 PM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,009,391 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreXican View Post
...Those who are citizens/legal have nothing to fear and should educate themselves so they won't have to leave the state for nothing.
Tell them they have nothing to fear. My wife, a legal immigrant from Mexico herself, absolutely refuses to go into nearby Arizona. She's afraid that despite being fully lawful she will somehow be stopped by the police and taken into custody.

Her fear is not irrational, she has it reenforced from time-to-time in the mostly calm location we live. I'm told that it is single incidents here on the forum, that we should just move on from the slights, it is just a few Americans acting out. We don't live close to Georgia, so I won't have to worry about getting her to go there.
 
Old 06-20-2011, 11:26 PM
 
Location: Richland, Washington
4,069 posts, read 4,964,260 times
Reputation: 2477
Lefties show their disregard for enforcing law and order yet again. Legal immigrants don't have anything to be afraid of. The only people the law targets are illegals, which is the reason the criminals are running away. It seems like the left will protect criminals, but not those who obey the law.
 
Old 06-21-2011, 07:27 AM
 
Location: Tempe, Az
1,421 posts, read 1,237,529 times
Reputation: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Tell them they have nothing to fear. My wife, a legal immigrant from Mexico herself, absolutely refuses to go into nearby Arizona. She's afraid that despite being fully lawful she will somehow be stopped by the police and taken into custody.

Her fear is not irrational, she has it reenforced from time-to-time in the mostly calm location we live. I'm told that it is single incidents here on the forum, that we should just move on from the slights, it is just a few Americans acting out. We don't live close to Georgia, so I won't have to worry about getting her to go there.
It dont matter bout 1070 or not. People who look like normal Mexicans are more likeley to be hassled cause the illegals makes us all look bad. I dont bet botherd much cause I look Italian. My younger bro is dark and follows that La Raza bit. I tryed to get him to chill but hes into MECHA
 
Old 06-21-2011, 07:51 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
SB1070 wasn't about Legal Permanent Residents? I thought the whole premise was about having immigration papers and making sure documents were valid. Why isn't it so much of a leap?

"If THEY don't like it THEY can go back to THEIR COUNTRY!"

How often do we hear (or say) this here? Even against U.S. citizens? Or Hispanics (as citizens or LPRs) categorized with illegal aliens? Not using terminology like "illegal aliens", just call them all "Mexicans".

In states passing these legislations, legal immigrants and citizens are also going elsewhere. Families not tied to illegal immigration. They start to feel unwelcome, and look for someplace they feel is more tolerant.

"Good riddance! THEY weren't assimilating! THEY can take THEIR culture away too!"

Isn't this what I see come up here?...

Tell me why it isn't possible when you let hysteria loose...
No, sb1070 was not about Legal Permanent Residents. By federal law they were already required to carry the necessary papers to prove their legality in this country just like we are required to carry a valid DL or I.D. when stopped during lawful contact for a traffic violation. Get off the victim mentality bandwagon for Hispanics for God's sake.

Right, if foreigners don't like our rules they are more than welcome to go back to their homelands. What's so ridiculous about that?

Who cares what a miniority of idiots say? You act like the majority of Americans fit that catagory but then if you couldn't make such claims there would be no victim card to play, would there?

There is no reason whatsover for legal immigrants and citizens to pack up and leave a state that has become unwelcoming to illegal aliens, none whatsover! It has nothing to do with them. As long as one has proper I.D. they have nothing to fear. This is fear mongoring at its best and yet we anti's are called fear mongerers?

Immigrants should assimilate to us out in mainstream while still retaining their native cultures and languages at home if they so choose. This isn't something new. It has always been the expectation since our country took on its own identity, culture and national language. What's so terrible about that? Why come here if you don't want to be one of us?
 
Old 06-21-2011, 07:53 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreXican View Post
The whole perception of Mexican = Illegal is for starters that:
A.) A majority of illegal immigrants are of Mexican descent.
B.) The media loves to portray the pro-illegal side, most of which have Hispanic surname. When everyone that is "pro-illegal" is portrayed as Hispanic, you are painting a negative light of us.

I am constantly annoyed time and time again at illegals lumping us US citizens of Mexican descent with them. My family came here legally, why can't theirs?

Laws like SB1070 and Georgia's new law may appear "tough" on the outside, but they are necessary. Illegal aliens are violating our immigration laws, and should not feel welcomed. Don't like it? Move to California. Despite Obama, we are a nation of laws.

Carrying "papers" (I love that term, as if it's a giant stack of papers legal immigrants must carry around) is not really burdensome. If you have a legal resident card you just tuck it away in your wallet with your drivers license - unless having a drivers license is burdensome as well?

The whole "GO BACK TO YOUR COUNTRY" thing is for those who come here and don't assimilate. I have never seen that said to an American of Hispanic descent who embraces American culture. This is a diverse country of different ethnic backgrounds, but what made America so great is that these immigrants came here, respected this country, learned the language, and did not demand anything. This new breed of illegals come here and want everything catered to them. They want immigration laws virtually destroyed, they want everything printed in their language, and it seems they also have a hostile attitude towards Americans because "They don't like us being here illegally".

I could go on and on, but my main point is -- If a state is unwelcoming to those who break the law, then I see nothing wrong with that. Those who are citizens/legal have nothing to fear and should educate themselves so they won't have to leave the state for nothing.
Excellent post!
 
Old 06-21-2011, 07:56 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Tell them they have nothing to fear. My wife, a legal immigrant from Mexico herself, absolutely refuses to go into nearby Arizona. She's afraid that despite being fully lawful she will somehow be stopped by the police and taken into custody.

Her fear is not irrational, she has it reenforced from time-to-time in the mostly calm location we live. I'm told that it is single incidents here on the forum, that we should just move on from the slights, it is just a few Americans acting out. We don't live close to Georgia, so I won't have to worry about getting her to go there.
A totally irrational fear. Many use this excuse just because they don't like laws that seek out illegal aliens, especially if they are ethnically like themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top