U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 08:02 AM

3,855 posts, read 4,086,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreXican View Post
The whole perception of Mexican = Illegal is for starters that:
A.) A majority of illegal immigrants are of Mexican descent.
B.) The media loves to portray the pro-illegal side, most of which have Hispanic surname. When everyone that is "pro-illegal" is portrayed as Hispanic, you are painting a negative light of us.

I am constantly annoyed time and time again at illegals lumping us US citizens of Mexican descent with them. My family came here legally, why can't theirs?

Laws like SB1070 and Georgia's new law may appear "tough" on the outside, but they are necessary. Illegal aliens are violating our immigration laws, and should not feel welcomed. Don't like it? Move to California. Despite Obama, we are a nation of laws.

Carrying "papers" (I love that term, as if it's a giant stack of papers legal immigrants must carry around) is not really burdensome. If you have a legal resident card you just tuck it away in your wallet with your drivers license - unless having a drivers license is burdensome as well?

The whole "GO BACK TO YOUR COUNTRY" thing is for those who come here and don't assimilate. I have never seen that said to an American of Hispanic descent who embraces American culture. This is a diverse country of different ethnic backgrounds, but what made America so great is that these immigrants came here, respected this country, learned the language, and did not demand anything. This new breed of illegals come here and want everything catered to them. They want immigration laws virtually destroyed, they want everything printed in their language, and it seems they also have a hostile attitude towards Americans because "They don't like us being here illegally".

I could go on and on, but my main point is -- If a state is unwelcoming to those who break the law, then I see nothing wrong with that. Those who are citizens/legal have nothing to fear and should educate themselves so they won't have to leave the state for nothing.
So Arizona writes their own state immigration law because illegal aliens are violating federal law?

What is worse...Illegal aliens violating federal immigration law or Arizona violating the US Cosntitution?

Old 06-21-2011, 08:15 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
So Arizona writes their own state immigration law because illegal aliens are violating federal law?

What is worse...Illegal aliens violating federal immigration law or Arizona violating the US Cosntitution?
Illegal aliens violating federal immigration laws is what is worse because it is uncontrolled and in huge numbers. They aren't so easily found that we can make them pay the penalty of deportation either while they rape and rob our jobs and tax coffers and add to our crime rates.

As for Arizona making laws that mirrored federal immigration law, parts were stuck down and the other parts are still awaiting a Supreme Court decision. In other words none of this had a negative impact on our citizens and Arizona can't run and hide if found to have implemented laws that were unconstitutional.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:49 AM

82 posts, read 73,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
As for Arizona making laws that mirrored federal immigration law, parts were stuck down and the other parts are still awaiting a Supreme Court decision. In other words none of this had a negative impact on our citizens and Arizona can't run and hide if found to have implemented laws that were unconstitutional.
It was surprising how much less power was given to law enforcement in the Arizona law than federal law has. Federal police that are involved with immigration have quite wide discretion as I remember.

Of course, in a country run by ConAgra and the Obama/Goldman Sachs government, you're not going to see a lot of enforcement on the federal side. There seems to be a widespread concept that if you manage to sneak across the desert, that's good enough.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:51 AM

2,113 posts, read 2,242,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post

Illegals violating federal immigration laws. They are killing us.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:43 AM

5,302 posts, read 4,011,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRavenSpeaks View Post
...Federal police that are involved with immigration have quite wide discretion as I remember...
Specifically for the Border Patrol, they have a range of 100 miles from a U.S. boundary (and are sometimes placed in the inland international airports). "Permanent" (at least one permanent structure, and defined location) checkpoints are treated as "adjacent to the border", and have relaxed search and seizure rules. Temporary checkpoints have the same search and seizure standards as elsewhere in the United States.

Vehicle stops are supposed to be only on the presumption that at least one illegal alien is being transported. Border Patrol agents can only check immigration status, and do not enforce any other laws (they would need to call in the appropriate agency if they see other violations). Within 25 miles of the border they may search property merely by announcing their intention (if the owner is present), but no occupied structures.

I hope that clarifies things...

Old 06-21-2011, 09:57 AM

5,302 posts, read 4,011,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikCortez View Post
...People who look like normal Mexicans are more likeley to be hassled cause the illegals makes us all look bad...
We now have had our resident Hispanic that lives in Arizona talk about profiling. I've had a friend in Maricopa County say that she had Sheriff Deputies pull her over based solely on the Hispanic surname the vehicle was registered to, and be confused when she was White (the surname is from her husband). You can't dismiss peoples' feelings, if they hear of incidents it is going to rationalize their fears.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:58 AM

951 posts, read 616,793 times
Don't worry, he won't mind sitting a weekend in jail when he gets profiled without proof of citizenship. It's for the greater good!!

Old 06-21-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huddledmasses View Post
Don't worry, he won't mind sitting a weekend in jail when he gets profiled without proof of citizenship. It's for the greater good!!
No one needs proof of citizenship, just that they be here legally in our country. A green card in the case of a legal immigrant or a valid I.D. in regards to citizens would suffice to keep anyone from spending a weekend in jail. There is no "profiling".

Old 06-21-2011, 10:31 AM

951 posts, read 616,793 times
So what does a Mexican-American who is an American citizen show to prove he is here legally? They should just start carrying papers at all times for those unfortunate times when their 4th Amendment rights get stomped on?

Old 06-21-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
We now have had our resident Hispanic that lives in Arizona talk about profiling. I've had a friend in Maricopa County say that she had Sheriff Deputies pull her over based solely on the Hispanic surname the vehicle was registered to, and be confused when she was White (the surname is from her husband). You can't dismiss peoples' feelings, if they hear of incidents it is going to rationalize their fears.
Where is her proof that she was pulled over based on her surname? No, we cannot dismiss people's "irrational" fears and thereby changing our laws because of that. They need to get over it or leave the country if they "fear" that much. From experience I know however that these so-called "fears" by Hispanics is based on an objection to enforcing our immigration laws based on ethnic ties. It is all smoke and mirrors to protect them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or