U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2011, 10:39 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by huddledmasses View Post
So what does a Mexican-American who is an American citizen show to prove he is here legally? They should just start carrying papers at all times for those unfortunate times when their 4th Amendment rights get stomped on?
What kind of papers are you talking about? No citizen regardless of ethnic makeup has to carry any papers other than a valid DL. Get off the victim mentality bandwagon. There are far too many in this forum that are riding it.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:42 AM

25,060 posts, read 22,112,973 times
Quote:
So what does a Mexican-American who is an American citizen show to prove he is here legally? They should just start carrying papers at all times for those unfortunate times when their 4th Amendment rights get stomped on?
If a cop pulls you ever and asks if you are here legally, you say I'm a US citizen and it stops there. They are supposed to believe you but they can verify it with their computer they have and if you lie, you are charged with perjury.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:42 AM

951 posts, read 616,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
What kind of papers are you talking about? No citizen regardless of ethnic makeup has to carry any papers other than a valid DL. Get off the victim mentality bandwagon. There are far too many in this forum that are riding it.
So. A valid DL isn't necessary to carry either unless they are you know, driving. A driver's license is also not proof of citizenship in almost all of the states. This means they would be detained as an illegal immigrant until they had someone bring proof of their citizenship. Oh the victim mentality? Are we now trying to discount the Constitutional rights of actual American citizens?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
If a cop pulls you ever and asks if you are here legally, you say I'm a US citizen and it stops there.

Citation? What if they say it in Spanish?

Old 06-21-2011, 10:46 AM

25,060 posts, read 22,112,973 times
Quote:
So. A valid DL isn't necessary to carry either unless they are you know, driving. A driver's license is also not proof of citizenship in almost all of the states. This means they would be detained as an illegal immigrant until they had someone bring proof of their citizenship.

Your driver's license has you linked up to legal databases and the police can figure out your identity at the station as well. This isn't rocket science. Stop grasping at straws.

It has no legal force if they say it in Spanish, unless the cop understands what they are saying. They will still be checked. You know the CBP runs checkpoints away from the border as well, and they stop Americans they don't have passports or birth certificates in them and ask them if they are US citizens. They say yes, then they have to be let go unless the checkpoint supervisor has set up that every 4th person that comes through is inspected thoroughly. It's really a lot easier than what you're making it out to be

Old 06-21-2011, 10:51 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Quote:
So. A valid DL isn't necessary to carry either unless they are you know, driving. A driver's license is also not proof of citizenship in almost all of the states. This means they would be detained as an illegal immigrant until they had someone bring proof of their citizenship. Oh the victim mentality? Are we now trying to discount the Constitutional rights of actual American citizens?

Of course it isn't required by law unless you are driving but who in their right mind wouldn't carry some form of I.D. when out in public? If you have an accident and are incapacitated how will you be identified if you don't carry I.D.? It is just common sense to carry it with you at all times.

In all but a very few states a valid DL is proof of citizenship or legal status in this country. Only those states that give illegal aliens DL's would be an acception. So what, if someone is detained until valid proof of their legality in this country can be provided or proven? It's their own damned fault for not carrying I.D. If you don't want to be incovenienced then carry I.D. with you at all times. Is that so hard to do?

Old 06-21-2011, 11:34 AM

9,243 posts, read 7,099,270 times
Quote:

Point is they should be here legally. Any American can prove they are legally here quickly. An illegal can't prove nothing.

99% of Americans speak English.

Old 06-21-2011, 05:08 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,011,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Where is her proof that she was pulled over based on her surname?...
Because they pulled her over after running her tag, and gave no moving violation as a reason they stopped her. At first they were asking her if she was "a friend" of the registered owner, not matching her name to the tag. I even pondered if had been a Hispanic pulled over with the tag with an other-than-Hispanic surname, would the police simply ask if they were "a friend" of the family?

Old 06-21-2011, 06:31 PM

82 posts, read 73,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post

I hope that clarifies things...
Not at all. I'm aware of the Border Patrol jurisdictional issues, what I'm referring specifically to are the limits set for the ability of arresting officers to nab any old person they feel like. I need to look up immigration law again, but I remember that it placed much more discretion in LE hands than the Arizona statute.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:37 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,238,051 times
Quote:

If the cops stop you and you dont speak English; if here legally like a tourist you have a DL or passport from your country. If NO DL or passport, youre going to jail.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:50 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,011,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
If a cop pulls you ever and asks if you are here legally, you say I'm a US citizen and it stops there. They are supposed to believe you but they can verify it with their computer they have and if you lie, you are charged with perjury.
Charged with perjury?...

You are also talking about police asking about someone's citizenship...

Please study out your statement a little further...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or