Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2011, 06:18 PM

82 posts, read 90,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoltronRoad View Post
THere would be more people from other countries here. Is this some kind of kindergarten version of the Socratic method or something? Let me skip to the end of the discussion for you. No matter what the negative effects of immigration might or might not be, there is nothing in the range of possible outcomes that would cause me to say I think it's a good idea to deny people a shot at making a better life for themselves and their family because they talk or look different than me.
Kindergarten might be appropriate, but I'm assuming that you actually have an internally consistent model in mind...it would be interesting to see what it is.

What I'm reading here is that regardless of the downside risk to immigration, some should exist.

OK, probably everyone agrees with that. The strongest opponent to immigration would allow in the occasional scientist, and the La Razans would allow in anyone who looks and sounds like them. I don't see the policy here.

Just what should the limits to immigration be? Simply bitching at racists is not a philosophy.

Old 06-25-2011, 06:21 PM

93 posts, read 73,778 times
I'm still trying to figure out what an illegal citizen is. ??

Old 06-25-2011, 06:21 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,312,858 times
Quote:
THere would be more people from other countries here. Is this some kind of kindergarten version of the Socratic method or something? Let me skip to the end of the discussion for you. No matter what the negative effects of immigration might or might not be, there is nothing in the range of possible outcomes that would cause me to say I think it's a good idea to deny people a shot at making a better life for themselves and their family because they talk or look different than me.
Same old race card being tossed out again. I see, so wanting legal immigration in reasonable numbers and objecting to illegal immigration equates to not wanting people here that talk or look different than the average American? You can't be serious since we already have millions of people here of different cultures and looks that are already citizens. Doesn't your side have anything except the race card?

Old 06-25-2011, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Race card pulling duly noted. Hot flash for ya, we already have millions of citizens who may look different or talk different and most of us have no problem with them. Is that all you got?

Old 06-25-2011, 06:27 PM

951 posts, read 745,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Same old race card being tossed out again. I see, so wanting legal immigration in reasonable numbers and objecting to illegal immigration equates to not wanting people here that talk or look different than the average American? You can't be serious since we already have millions of people here of different cultures and looks that are already citizens. Doesn't your side have anything except the race card?
But you've already admitted to the bolded except you weren't talking about the "average" American you were talking about not looking or talking like the MAJORITY of Americans.

Old 06-25-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huddledmasses View Post
But you've already admitted to the bolded except you aren't talking about the "average" American you were talking about not looking or talking like the MAJORITY of Americans.
That's a lie and you know it! I have never said I object to anyone who looks different or talks different. My objection is to illegal immigration, period! Take your race card and shove it with the rest of your tag team in here.

Old 06-25-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRavenSpeaks View Post
Kindergarten might be appropriate, but I'm assuming that you actually have an internally consistent model in mind...it would be interesting to see what it is.

What I'm reading here is that regardless of the downside risk to immigration, some should exist.

OK, probably everyone agrees with that. The strongest opponent to immigration would allow in the occasional scientist, and the La Razans would allow in anyone who looks and sounds like them. I don't see the policy here.

Just what should the limits to immigration be? Simply bitching at racists is not a philosophy.
Shouldn't be any limits. Simply a willingness to work hard and play by reasonable laws of the US and the states should be enough.

Immigrants have always contributed to the growth of this country. Every generation goes thru this and every generation gets by.

And I would much rather have immigrants employ Americans in America than give our jobs up to greedy corporations intent on circumventing tax laws to further pad their bank accounts.

I work for a Pakistani engineer, my wife works for an American company started by a German , and my son works for an Italian at a pizza shop.

Old 06-25-2011, 06:37 PM

951 posts, read 745,185 times
Quote:
That's a lie and you know it! I have never said I object to anyone who looks different or talks different. My objection is to illegal immigration, period! Take your race card and shove it with the rest of your tag team in here.
LOL.

You weren't defending that position right here? If it wasn't your position, who were you defending?

Quote:
Why aren't you addressing those in here who claim white Americans are racist for not wanting to lose their majority, culture and language in this country via illegal immigration? I think I just heard a pin drop.
I'll just add this one too:

Quote:
I guess Hispanics being the majority in 22 countries on the Western Hemisphere isn't enough for them. They want to be the majority in this one also. Whitey isn't allowed to be the majority in any nation on this side of the world because it is racist, haven't you heard. What's next, Canada?

Old 06-25-2011, 06:40 PM

Tag, you're it.....

Old 06-25-2011, 06:42 PM

Quote:
I think Voltron pretty much settled it back here------> Tag....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration