U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-12-2011, 09:59 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,219,325 times
Reputation: 2130

Advertisements

The Supreme Court has recently decided that states are not entirely without power to enforce immigration laws, and this has amnesty advocates terribly worried. What they've been trying to sell, "comprehensive immigration reform," has failed to attract a lot of buyers. The idea that allowing most illegal aliens to stay, pay a fine, learn English, pass a background check, etc. is not amnesty, or more importantly, is an acceptable solution, has clearly been rejected.

DerailAmnesty.com: Not On The Menu
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-12-2011, 01:09 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,895,865 times
Reputation: 3028
Why would anyone with an ounce of sense believe if we repeat the debacle of 1986 we will have different results? Letís see. . . by granting amnesty to 3 million, an additional 30+ million arrived. Now, how many illegals would flock to our shores if we granted another amnesty?

We would have to be beyond stupid to fall for this ruse again. Only the truly naÔve believe if amnestied, illegals would ever pay a fine, ever learn English, ever pay back taxes, or ever feel anything but disdain toward this country.

They have already shown their true colors by marching in our streets waving foreign flags, desecrating our flag, chanting and carrying anti-American slogans, and proudly flaunting their ability to fleece taxpayers. Who, but an idiot, or a masochist, would want to reward such insolence?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2011, 01:52 PM
 
Location: NW Las Vegas - Lone Mountain
15,756 posts, read 32,659,754 times
Reputation: 2661
Actually a substantial majority of the US legislature favored such an action.

They were defeated by the 60 rule...not the majority.

So it would likely be correct to suggest a majority of previous legislatures were in favor. Just not enough of them.

And of course the votes to increase deportation and such have done worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2011, 02:10 PM
 
Location: San Diego
33,135 posts, read 30,388,469 times
Reputation: 17905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Why would anyone with an ounce of sense believe if we repeat the debacle of 1986 we will have different results? Letís see. . . by granting amnesty to 3 million, an additional 30+ million arrived. Now, how many illegals would flock to our shores if we granted another amnesty?

We would have to be beyond stupid to fall for this ruse again. Only the truly naÔve believe if amnestied, illegals would ever pay a fine, ever learn English, ever pay back taxes, or ever feel anything but disdain toward this country.

They have already shown their true colors by marching in our streets waving foreign flags, desecrating our flag, chanting and carrying anti-American slogans, and proudly flaunting their ability to fleece taxpayers. Who, but an idiot, or a masochist, would want to reward such insolence?
In their desperate attempt at new votes many Politicians have made promises they know they couldn't keep. It's a pretty safe path to travel if you know you won't have to worry about the status quo. Every poll on a large scale has shown most people don't want illegal immigration to continue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2011, 03:31 PM
 
Location: NW Las Vegas - Lone Mountain
15,756 posts, read 32,659,754 times
Reputation: 2661
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
In their desperate attempt at new votes many Politicians have made promises they know they couldn't keep. It's a pretty safe path to travel if you know you won't have to worry about the status quo. Every poll on a large scale has shown most people don't want illegal immigration to continue.

And also shows they don't want to do anything significant about it as well...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2011, 09:11 PM
 
Location: San Diego
33,135 posts, read 30,388,469 times
Reputation: 17905
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
And also shows they don't want to do anything significant about it as well...
They? Which "they" are you directing this post?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2011, 10:20 PM
 
Location: NW Las Vegas - Lone Mountain
15,756 posts, read 32,659,754 times
Reputation: 2661
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
They? Which "they" are you directing this post?
The people polled of course.

Whom did you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top