U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 10:40 PM

403 posts, read 280,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
No comparison. Our immigration laws are not discriminatory today. Just what is bad about our immigration laws? The fact that we can't allow everyone who wants to come here to be able to do so? Does that make them bad?
Did I mention anything about them being discriminatory? A little defensive, are we?

There are millions of people that are willing to risk life and limb to come over here to work their asses off in deplorable uncertain conditions for the simple hope of earning a better life for themselves and their families. I know my ancestors came over here with the same expectations/motivations and I suspect many if not most of the ancestors of a significant portion of the posters on this forum did as well. I believe that, for the most part, they had an overwhelmingly positive impact on our country. To deny people the opportunity to improve their lot in life who are quite obviously hungry for it as is evidenced by my first sentance solely because of some arbitrary quota is not only myopic/ dumb from an economic perspective, it's also seems to go against one of the facets of our country that helped it become the great nation it is today. In short our policy is un-American.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:37 PM

19,899 posts, read 15,293,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Fair enough. I am a Baptist, but, I do not adhere to any denominational dictates. The problem, as I see it, with many Christians, is their blind faith in Church leadership (man) rather than in God. With that said, I still do not understand why the Mormon Church would support amnesty for illegal aliens, given that, to my knowledge, few, if any, illegal aliens are Mormon. On the other hand, most illegal aliens are Catholic, so I can clearly understand the pandering by the Catholic Church, particularly, given their dwindling congregations, and multi-million dollar legal settlements.

My primary objection, in addition to the sheer hypocrisy, is to the comments made by the Mormon leadership by their reference to illegal aliens as “children of God” as though that somehow grants them the right to enter a country illegally, or violate the laws of a sovereign nation. The Mormon Church, and all other religious organizations advocating on behalf of illegal aliens, should leave God out of the debate. This is not a religious or moral issue. This is simply an issue of lawlessness, and the fleecing of this nation by people who have no right to be here, or to expect, let alone DEMAND, anything from the citizens of this country.

If these religious leaders truly want to help illegal aliens, they should work with the government of Mexico and other nations to improve conditions in their countries, and to implore them to end the abuse of U.S. taxpayers by their citizens. If they MUST invoke God or religion, they should do so by emphasizing the numerous aspects of illegal immigration that are, without a doubt, immoral, and contrary to Christianity.

Once again, you have made the best points on the whole post. Your so right, this is not of a religious or moral issue. And God should be kept out of politics period. We are speaking about people who break laws to get here, and then put demands on our leaders, as if they are something special. So true what you have said, if all of these religious leaders truly want to help out in some way, they should start working with the Government of those who break our laws. Help them to improve conditons in their Countries, so that these people have some reason to want to stay there. Religion should be kept out of politics . If so many are going to come to their rescue, more will continue to follow, and this will become a neverending battle that will cease to never get done. You know growing up i was taught that breaking the law was not something i should do, and that it was wrong, oh REALLY? I never realized that once grown, those who break our laws, would simply get a free pass!

Old 06-20-2011, 11:46 PM

4,425 posts, read 5,141,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Black people have always been allowed to be members of the Church and Mormon Churches have always been integrated. I know what you're getting at, but you really need to check your facts before you start talking.
um I grew up mormon, back in the days that anyone with black skin wasn't allowed to hold the priesthood.. the mormon church believes that people with black skin are black because they are cursed by god. part of their curse was to be kept from some of the "blessings of the gospel"

what kind of church teaches this horse$hit?

Old 06-21-2011, 12:35 AM

11,435 posts, read 15,949,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Black people have always been allowed to be members of the Church and Mormon Churches have always been integrated. I know what you're getting at, but you really need to check your facts before you start talking.
except that they were/are considered subhuman. Honestly, allowing illegals into this country looks like a way of bolstering the mormons' numbers in this country and Latin America. But guess what children of moroni, the illegals don't have have any $$ for you to tithe. Haha.

Last edited by wehotex; 06-21-2011 at 12:45 AM..

Old 06-21-2011, 12:41 AM

11,435 posts, read 15,949,388 times
In Missouri, it was actually legal to kill a Mormon until 1976.

Know of any other states where this is STILL legal?

Old 06-21-2011, 12:49 AM

555 posts, read 735,951 times
Catholic politicians certaintly don't follow their church's teaching on abortion. I don't think Romney will follow lockstep with the Mormon leaders, especially after reading this very long transcript:

Pew Forum: Mormonism and Politics: Are They Compatible?

I am not going to hold Romney's religion against him.

Old 06-21-2011, 02:01 AM

2,075 posts, read 1,774,369 times
Quote:
Yes, I am sure Jesus condones their ID theft, fraud, tax evasion, and myriad scams for them to remain in a country they have illegally entered.

Now, can we discuss the hypocrisy of the Mormon Church in their defense of illegal aliens?
Right on, as usual. I believe Jesus said to "obey the laws of the land" as well.
Great post Benicar.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:51 AM

3,855 posts, read 4,087,243 times
Quote:
The legalization of illegal aliens is rewarding lawlessness. In my opinion, that is NOT a position a church should espouse.
The proposed Utah law has nothing to do with "legalization". The proposed Utah law would allow illegal aliens to work in the state of Utah. It is not a pathway to citizenship nor a permenant action.

The proposed Utah work permit only allows an undocumented worker residing in Utah to work in Utah.

If you got a problem with Mormans or this Utah law...dont move to Utah or join the LDS church.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:19 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,238,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viridian Ideals View Post
Did I mention anything about them being discriminatory? A little defensive, are we?

There are millions of people that are willing to risk life and limb to come over here to work their asses off in deplorable uncertain conditions for the simple hope of earning a better life for themselves and their families. I know my ancestors came over here with the same expectations/motivations and I suspect many if not most of the ancestors of a significant portion of the posters on this forum did as well. I believe that, for the most part, they had an overwhelmingly positive impact on our country. To deny people the opportunity to improve their lot in life who are quite obviously hungry for it as is evidenced by my first sentance solely because of some arbitrary quota is not only myopic/ dumb from an economic perspective, it's also seems to go against one of the facets of our country that helped it become the great nation it is today. In short our policy is un-American.
Illegal aliens are un American. Get in line. Follow OUR rules. WE will decide if we want you or not. If we dont want you, stay out!! No probleme.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:26 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,152,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huddledmasses View Post
1 of those polls was done by an anti-immigration organization. Note, I didn't say an anti illegal-immigration organization. They want ALL immigration cut way back if not stopped. I'm sure it was a scientifically sound study tho as their viewpoints and the scope of the study don't seem to conflict at all . BTW, they disagree with chicagonuts view that the gov't picked the perfect amount of immigrants to let in as well. Why don't they respect the laws that were made for us!?!?
Wanting legal immigration to be cut back or temporarily stopped until we get our economy back on track is still not being anti-immigration. It is just common sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or