Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 07:13 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,317,510 times

Advertisements

During committee testimony this week in Austin, a Texas senator interrupted a Spanish speaker and telling him he should "be speaking in English" during a committee hearing.

Antolin Aguirre of the Austin Immigrant Rights Coalition was testifying against Senate Bill 9 that would help crack down on illegal immigrants in Texas. Aguirre spoke through an interpreter even though he had been in the U.S. since 1988.

Two minutes into Antolin Aguirre’s testimony, Sen. Chris Harris, a Republican from Arlington, interrupted asking Aguirre’s interrupter, "Did I understand him correctly that he has been here since 1988?" Harris asked. "Why aren’t you speaking in English then?"

Through his interpreter, Aguirre said Spanish is his "first language and since it is his first time giving testimony he would rather do it in Spanish."

"It is insulting to us," Sen. Harris fired back. "It is very insulting. And if he knows English, he needs to be speaking in English."

The fiery exchange happened on Monday during a Senate Transportation and Homeland Security Committee hearing. Law makers were hearing testimony on the purposed Senate Bill 9 – The so-called sanctuary cities bill. The bill would allow local law enforcement officials to check a suspect’s immigration status.

“Why Aren’t You Speaking English?” | Houston News - KTRH NewsRadio 740 Houston News, Weather, Traffic

Old 06-17-2011, 07:38 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,560,802 times
Hmm. . . He has lived here for 23 years, yet still needs an interpreter. Learning English is one of the requirements for amnesty according to Obama and other pro-illegal politicians. I wonder if illegals will be given more than 20 years to comply.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Hmm. . . He has lived here for 23 years, yet still needs an interpreter. Learning English is one of the requirements for amnesty according to Obama and other pro-illegal politicians. I wonder if illegals will be given more than 20 years to comply.
Actually, he just said he "preferred" to make his statements in Spanish, not that he didn't know how to speak English. I find this all over in my neck of the woods. Even though they know how to speak English they won't unless they have to. It is an unassimilation factor to me.

Wish there was way to corrrect the spelling in my topic heading. I mispelled "assimilation". Sorry, folks.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Actually, he just said he "preferred" to make his statements in Spanish, not that he didn't know how to speak English. I find this all over in my neck of the woods. Even though they know how to speak English they won't unless they have to. It is an unassimilation factor to me.

Wish there was way to corrrect the spelling in my topic heading. I mispelled "assimilation". Sorry, folks.
Then, he should “prefer” to live in a Spanish-speaking country. It is the height of arrogance to speak before a hearing in Spanish when one is capable of communicating in English. Yet, they whine about not being accepted as being fully assimilated Americans.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Then, he should “prefer” to live in a Spanish-speaking country. It is the height of arrogance to speak before a hearing in Spanish when one is capable of communicating in English. Yet, they whine about not being accepted as being fully assimilated Americans.
Exactly! It was the height of arrogance to address the Texas legislature in Spanish when probably most of them were English speakers, not to mention that English is our national language. Assimilation my lilly white behind!

Old 06-17-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Exactly! It was the height of arrogance to address the Texas legislature in Spanish when probably most of them were English speakers, not to mention that English is our national language. Assimilation my lilly white behind!
LOL! I couldn’t help but think of Steve Martin when he quit the law firm in the movie “Bringing Down the House.” Only, he said they could kiss his natural “black” a--.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:19 AM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,660 times
He's a complete idiot.

If he really wants the support of the American public he needs to speak to us in our own language. Literally. Most Americans do not believe "immigrant rights" -- let alone the alleged rights of illegal immigrants -- include the right to live here over twenty years and not demonstrate fluency in English.

He's doing a fine job illustrating the problem with illegals and their advocates. Most Americans don't want them here in the first place. We certainly don't want them here if they can't be bothered to learn our common language.

If you are going to ask us to change our laws to suit your needs the least you can do is show that you're willing to accommodate our needs. Our needs do not include publically financed interpreters because someone who has lived here for over twenty years is too lazy to learn English.

What a moron that man is! It just never seems to cross his mind that he has to do anything at all. We're supposed to welcome him and his friends here. But they have no responsibilities to do anything in return. We don't need anymore people like him.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
He's a complete idiot.

If he really wants the support of the American public he needs to speak to us in our own language. Literally. Most Americans do not believe "immigrant rights" -- let alone the alleged rights of illegal immigrants -- include the right to live here over twenty years and not demonstrate fluency in English.

He's doing a fine job illustrating the problem with illegals and their advocates. Most Americans don't want them here in the first place. We certainly don't want them here if they can't be bothered to learn our common language.

If you are going to ask us to change our laws to suit your needs the least you can do is show that you're willing to accommodate our needs. Our needs do not include publically financed interpreters because someone who has lived here for over twenty years is too lazy to learn English.

What a moron that man is! It just never seems to cross his mind that he has to do anything at all. We're supposed to welcome him and his friends here. But they have no responsibilities to do anything in return. We don't need anymore people like him.
As I said in a prior post that man knew how to speak English it was just his "preference" to address the meeting in Spanish. When the Senator asked why he was speaking in Spanish the man replied in English. He even continued to speak in Spanish after the Senator objected to it. Such arrogance!

Old 06-17-2011, 12:58 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,739,643 times
Quote:

Spanish is the 2nd most spoken language in the United States. Why are you dictating and demanding that people speak English? How does this affect you unless they are speaking directly to you? We all have a right to speak whatever language we want.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:23 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
Spanish is the 2nd most spoken language in the United States. Why are you dictating and demanding that people speak English? How does this affect you unless they are speaking directly to you? We all have a right to speak whatever language we want.
It affects us when you move here and start demanding accommodations because you are too much of an arrogant moron to learn English. That's our common language. Not Spanish. Some people need to get over this fact and move on. No American should have to pay for interpreters or second printings of government documents to make lazy invaders feel at home. No American should be made to feel like a foreigner in their own country because of someone else.

If someone feels more comfortable in Spanish let them move to a Spanish speaking country. The breath taking rudeness of those who move here without permission and then make demands on the American public never ceases to amaze me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration