U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-16-2011, 09:49 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,826,194 times
Reputation: 3028

Advertisements

Quote:
“What to do with the estimated 12 million undocumented immigrants now residing in various states within the United States is the biggest challenge in the immigration debate,” the statement says. “The bedrock moral issue for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is how we treat each other as children of God.”
Mormon Leaders Say Undocumented Immigrants Should Be Allowed to Work and Stay - Fox News Latino

That’s funny. It wasn’t too long ago that these “Christians” refused to admit black “children of God” into their churches.

 
Old 06-16-2011, 09:59 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,160,108 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Mormon Leaders Say Undocumented Immigrants Should Be Allowed to Work and Stay - Fox News Latino

That’s funny. It wasn’t too long ago that these “Christians” refused to admit black “children of God” into their churches.
Well, now I know I won't vote for Mitt Romney.
 
Old 06-16-2011, 10:04 AM
 
Location: Native Floridian, USA
4,896 posts, read 5,874,515 times
Reputation: 6050
Hey, my friend, I just read and posted to this story. Huntsman or Romney....NO. They can say all they want about not allowing the church to dictate what they would do as president but, I don't believe it. As far as I am concerned, this confirms Obamas win.

Numbers USA is not coming up with anyone that isn't soft on illegal immigration. What to do ?
 
Old 06-16-2011, 10:05 AM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
21,282 posts, read 20,911,116 times
Reputation: 9964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
That’s funny. It wasn’t too long ago that these “Christians” refused to admit black “children of God” into their churches.
Black people have always been allowed to be members of the Church and Mormon Churches have always been integrated. I know what you're getting at, but you really need to check your facts before you start talking.
 
Old 06-16-2011, 10:07 AM
 
156 posts, read 112,016 times
Reputation: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Well, now I know I won't vote for Mitt Romney.
Consider this, though: the Catholic leadership is also in favor of amnesty for illegals, yet most rank-and-file Catholics are not. In fact, the leadership of quite a few denominations have come out with a pro-illegal stance, but their membership do not necessarily agree.

I'd be inclined to listen to what Romney (or any other pol) has to say on the issue rather than listening to what their individual church leadership comes out with.
 
Old 06-16-2011, 10:14 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,160,108 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by majesticat View Post
Consider this, though: the Catholic leadership is also in favor of amnesty for illegals, yet most rank-and-file Catholics are not. In fact, the leadership of quite a few denominations have come out with a pro-illegal stance, but their membership do not necessarily agree.

I'd be inclined to listen to what Romney (or any other pol) has to say on the issue rather than listening to what their individual church leadership comes out with.
True, but if I remember correctly Romney flip-flopped on this issue after losing the last Republican nomination. During the debates he was strong on illegal immigration then after he lost the nomination he flip-flopped. I don't trust politicians who do that.
 
Old 06-16-2011, 10:23 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,826,194 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Black people have always been allowed to be members of the Church and Mormon Churches have always been integrated. I know what you're getting at, but you really need to check your facts before you start talking.
Not true. However, I don’t want to make this thread an issue of race. I merely stated a fact to illustrate their hypocrisy.

Quote:
LDS scholar Bruce R. McConkie tells us:

Therefore, the Gods rejected Lucifer's plan, which resulted in a war between the good spirit children, and the spirit children that sided with Lucifer (a third of them). But there was a group of spirits that were less valiant in this war. Hence, God (the head God) was very displeased with them so He turned their skin black. Tenth President Joseph Fielding Smith explains:

There is a reason why one man is born black and with other disadvantages, while another is born white with great advantages. The reason is that we once had an estate before we came here, and were obedient; more or less, to the laws that were given us there. Those who were faithful in all things there [pre-existence] received greater blessings here, and those who were not faithful received less. . . .
Mormons and Black Skin

Quote:
FOR NEARLY 140 YEARS, Mormonism (the "Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints") has taught that the black people are "inferior" and are "cursed" by God. The Mormon leaders who have taught these things in the name of Christianity are revered as "prophets, seers and revelators" by their Church, and their plain words about these cruel, unscriptural teachings remain for the world to judge.

However, in June, 1978, Mormon leaders attempted to erase over a century of outside resentment with the announcement that "worthy" black persons could receive privileges and secret initiations which had always been denied them in Mormonism. This strange, unexpected turnabout came as Mormon leaders were planning to initiate their final drive to send their "missionaries" into the remaining lands of the world where Mormonism has been most resisted—particularly Africa.
African Americans and the Mormon Church
 
Old 06-16-2011, 10:31 AM
 
951 posts, read 617,303 times
Reputation: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
That’s funny. It wasn’t too long ago that these “Christians” refused to admit black “children of God” into their churches.
So...your point is....they should stay consistent and hate the Illegals like they hated the blacks? I don't get it.
 
Old 06-16-2011, 10:46 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,826,194 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by huddledmasses View Post
So...your point is....they should stay consistent and hate the Illegals like they hated the blacks? I don't get it.
No, my point is they are hypocrites.
 
Old 06-16-2011, 10:50 AM
 
951 posts, read 617,303 times
Reputation: 89
Or they learned their lessons from the past maybe. Butnaaahhhh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top