U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 09:53 PM

6,464 posts, read 7,555,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viridian Ideals View Post
Ohhhhh its just your opinion that an entire group of people are refusing to learn your preferred language in willful defiance of some obscure American ideals, in that case... Lol, do you think saying that this is just your opinion is some sort of nuanced distinction that makes your position any less ridiculous?

The rest of your post is just an embarrassing logical fail.
Let a little time pass. It will prove to be true. Your opinion of my assessment is not important.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:59 PM

403 posts, read 280,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
If you listen to the video you'll hear him talking in english.
So cut the accuses would you?
I just watched the video and it confirmed what I first suspected, he was nervous and didn't have a strong enough command of English to communicate effectively in that situation.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:05 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,203,701 times
Quote:
fyp
I see that you don't intend on staying with this forum very long.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:06 PM

403 posts, read 280,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
He was arguing in favor of granting more people like him the same status. He was dumb enough to make the argument in a way that argues against his case. Most Americans do not want people here who don't speak English fluently despite living here for over two decades.

I really don't understand why some people don't get why this is so irritating. Americans do not people moving here who create burdens on us or put us at a disadvantage in our own country. Most of us do not want to be taxed because someone else doesn't speak English and needs an interpreter. We also don't want a large minority of people here who aren't fluent in English. This puts people who don't speak Spanish at a disadvantage.

Why is so greatly offensive to say so? If you want to move here that is not my problem. If you decide it is my problem -- that I will have to pay more money in taxes or learn a foreign langauge to get a job -- you can go home.

He's standing up for his self interest. That's not some sort of lofty goal. I'm standing up for mine. That's not racism. To hell with anyone who dares tell us otherwise.
Wrt the bolded, plz provide a cite or refrain from obscene projections.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:07 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,011,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
I see that you don't intend on staying with this forum very long.
"Fixed Your Post"?...

Old 06-21-2011, 10:13 PM

6,464 posts, read 7,555,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
"Fixed Your Post"?...
The quote function was not designed so people could change the words of others.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:20 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,011,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
The quote function was not designed so people could change the words of others.
I was commenting that the remark was obviously taken out of context...

Old 06-21-2011, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
"Fixed Your Post"?...
I never ask for the words to be changed in my post and I definitly never ask for your opinion about it, so FO.!

Old 06-21-2011, 10:41 PM

4,800 posts, read 7,689,216 times
Quote:
Ohhhhh its just your opinion that an entire group of people are refusing to learn your preferred language in willful defiance of some obscure American ideals, in that case... Lol, do you think saying that this is just your opinion is some sort of nuanced distinction that makes your position any less ridiculous?

The rest of your post is just an embarrassing logical fail.

There is nothing obscure about the idea of a common language as a unifying component in society.

For a person who seems to enjoy tossing around recondite references to Occam's razor (not that lex parsimoniae was even applicable to the post you were responding to) you don't seem to have a firm grasp on history.

Anthropologists and historians have long noted that pluralistic societies, those which lack a common cultural identity and language, were much more likely to crumble from within than the societies whose people shared culture, heritage, and most importantly, a unifying language, which bound them together.

America used to be that way. Those who came to this country (like my grandparents) knew that they would be expected to show a degree of proficiency in the English language in order to become citizens. They strived to learn the language of their adopted country. They taught their children to speak English. My father and his siblings never learned to speak their parent's native tongue. My grandparents realized that the road to success for their children would be directly tied to their ability to speak the common language of the United States.

Most people I know are tired of pressing one for English, two for Spanish, three for Farsi, four for Cantonese, etc. The lack of linguistic cohesion in this country is NOT something to be celebrated, but rather something to be alarmed about. Rome fell for a number of reasons, but one of the most prevalent reasons for its decline was the lack of cultural and linguistic congruity amongst its citizens.

In Los Angeles alone, there are over 100 different languages and dialects spoken in LAUSD--most of which must be catered to in the form of translators, additional manpower, paperwork, etc. Is it any wonder LAUSD students fail above the national average? Why, to "force" these children to learn to speak the language of the country in which they live would be downright ethnocentric and racist!

By the way, nuanced distinction is redundant. Nuance by its very definition means distinct. It is an unnecessary tautology and adds nothing to your rhetoric.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:55 PM

Thank You Kele,

Multiculturism has been proven to do nothing but divide nations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration