U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 03:04 PM

991 posts, read 1,953,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
Spanish is the 2nd most spoken language in the United States. Why are you dictating and demanding that people speak English? How does this affect you unless they are speaking directly to you? We all have a right to speak whatever language we want.

Sure you can speak it...doesn't mean anyone wants to listen to you!

Old 06-17-2011, 03:06 PM

991 posts, read 1,953,759 times
I would never DREAM of living in another country and not assimilate. NEVER! So why is it ok for hispanics to do so?

I live in Houston, TX.

Old 06-17-2011, 04:04 PM

3,674 posts, read 5,852,907 times
Quote:
Spanish is the 2nd most spoken language in the United States. Why are you dictating and demanding that people speak English? How does this affect you unless they are speaking directly to you? We all have a right to speak whatever language we want.
He was speaking to an English speaker in an American court, not to his wife at the mall.

Old 06-17-2011, 04:30 PM

18,856 posts, read 30,455,105 times
There are areas of my city, where a person can live, go to school, the bank, get government assistance, have a job, and not speak any English at all. In the United States...

Old 06-17-2011, 04:41 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,011,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
He was speaking to an English speaker in an American court, not to his wife at the mall.
He was speaking through a translator in a committee room...

At least it wasn't like Texas legislator Betty Brown, in House testimony saying that Asian-descent U.S. citizens should chose a name that Americans could more easily use:

“Rather than everyone here having to learn Chinese — I understand it’s a rather difficult language — do you think that it would behoove you and your citizens to adopt a name that we could deal with more readily here?"...

Old 06-17-2011, 05:01 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
He was speaking through a translator in a committee room...

At least it wasn't like Texas legislator Betty Brown, in House testimony saying that Asian-descent U.S. citizens should chose a name that Americans could more easily use:

“Rather than everyone here having to learn Chinese — I understand it’s a rather difficult language — do you think that it would behoove you and your citizens to adopt a name that we could deal with more readily here?"...
He knew how to speak English however because he replied to the Senator in English when the question of langauge was posed.

Your other remarks have nothing to do with this topic.

Old 06-17-2011, 05:08 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Quote:
Under this setting which was a state political meeting since the man knew how to speak English that is the language he should have been speaking in, especially since I am sure most everyone in the room also knew how to speak English.

No one is saying someone can't speak another language among their family or friends.

Old 06-17-2011, 05:12 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,011,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
...Your other remarks have nothing to do with this topic.
But doesn't it bend the mind that Betty was in a Texas legislative session, where when an Asian-American said their name, they were actually speaking in what she attributed as Chinese?...

Old 06-17-2011, 07:00 PM

6,464 posts, read 7,555,950 times
Quote:
Do you really not GET IT, or are you just being difficult? He lived here over 20 years and he was addressing an English speaking committee. Your last sentence is very true, if you are speaking amongst friends or family in your own little private circle. He knew exactly what he was doing, and the intention was to be insultive. And if that was NOT his intention, he is one of the most ignorant people on the planet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazymomof3 View Post
I would never DREAM of living in another country and not assimilate. NEVER! So why is it ok for hispanics to do so?
LIVE in another country? I wouldn't go on VACATION in a country if I didn't have a basic grasp on the language.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
BINGO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
There are areas of my city, where a person can live, go to school, the bank, get government assistance, have a job, and not speak any English at all. In the United States...
We as a society allow this, and it is unacceptable. WE are the enablers. THEY just benefit off of our ignorance. And they don't mind doing so one bit!

Old 06-17-2011, 07:32 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,238,051 times
Quote:
If you want people to look DOWN you: dont speak English. Im talking bout people who live here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration