Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 08:35 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,313,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by huddledmasses View Post
What law states a speaker must speak english and what loophole are you referring to?
Try following along in this topic. The man knew how to speak English. He had been in this country for over two decades. He was in a setting of Senators, etc. whose primary language was English. English is our defacto language. He had no reason to speak in Spanish under those circumstances. This case isn't about laws but politeness and respect for the majority present.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:12 AM

951 posts, read 745,222 times
Well if you want to answer for mkfnm instead of letting him answer since I like quoted him and everything, explain the loopholes and rights he was talking about and how it didn't refer to laws. Speaking of following along, it's like you completely ignored the quoted stuff I was replying to.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:54 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,664,523 times
Quote:
What law states a speaker must speak english and what loophole are you referring to?
He doesn't have to say a word.
His lawyer can speak for him. Or one will be provided.

Old 06-21-2011, 04:09 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,421,922 times
Quote:
Who said anything about "speech laws"?. I was resonding to someone else
about "rights".
You need to get it together.

Old 06-21-2011, 04:20 PM

You were replying to 1751's statement about wanting to protect people's rights. The rights he was referring to were the speaker's right to speak Spanish if he so chooses. Now....which loophole were you referring to?

Old 06-21-2011, 04:37 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,421,922 times
Quote:
You were replying to 1751's statement about wanting to protect people's rights. The rights he was referring to were the speaker's right to speak Spanish if he so chooses. Now....which loophole were you referring to?
Kind of hypocritical aren't you?

So I'm going to respond to you like you did to "Chicagonut" in post#61.

MY response to the post your refering to had to do with "rights in general"
and was directed to another poster..NOT YOU....you figure it out.

Quote:
Well if you want to answer for mkfnm instead of letting him answer since I like quoted him and everything, explain the loopholes and rights he was talking about and how it didn't refer to laws. Speaking of following along, it's like you completely ignored the quoted stuff I was replying to.

Old 06-21-2011, 04:40 PM

touche

Old 06-21-2011, 07:33 PM

403 posts, read 333,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Try following along in this topic. The man knew how to speak English. He had been in this country for over two decades. He was in a setting of Senators, etc. whose primary language was English. English is our defacto language. He had no reason to speak in Spanish under those circumstances. This case isn't about laws but politeness and respect for the majority present.
We don't know how well he could speak English. He was probably nervous speaking in front of such prominent figures, I know I would be. It makes perfect sense that he would feel more comfortable speaking in his native language. What's the big deal?

Old 06-21-2011, 07:44 PM

11,237 posts, read 11,015,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viridian Ideals View Post
We don't know how well he could speak English. He was probably nervous speaking in front of such prominent figures, I know I would be. It makes perfect sense that he would feel more comfortable speaking in his native language. What's the big deal?
Welcome to the thread. I'll repost something that's been repeated over and over here already. The man's been living in the U.S. 23 years and is the representative for a Texas based advocacy group. I have had the pleasure of knowing many people from all different countries who have lived in the states less than 10 years that can speak beautiful english. This was nothing more than an act of willful disrespect. He knew exactly what he was doing. There is no excuse for this ignorance. Then again, the man's advocating for people who plan to come here and NEVER learn english, so should it really surprise anyone?

Old 06-21-2011, 07:56 PM

Yeah, despite him stating it was his first time testifying and he'd simply be more comfortable speaking in his native language. Maybe he wanted to make sure he spoke concisely and didn't screw any translations up since it was a testimony and he was nervous. Butnaaaah, he was obviously doing it to spit on the American flag, because we have English as an official language, oh wait.....we don't have an official language. Please cite his supposed statements regarding people coming here and never learning English while we're at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration