U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 06:48 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viridian Ideals View Post
Actually, there is very good reason to believe that the experts, or whoever formulated the policy were wrong as evidenced by the massive labor shortages Georgia is currently experiencing.

Also, it has everything to do with what we spend our tax dollars on, at least it seems to to several posters on this forum with all the belly aching about how big of a drain on the system they claim illegals are.
What massive labor shortage? If you are referring to crop pickers there are unlimited visas for foreign agricultural workers. There is no labor shortage on any other jobs.

There are drains on our taxes in all forms. However, we don't to need the drains that illegal aliens put on them also.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:06 PM

951 posts, read 616,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
There is no reason to believe that experts haven't researched our annual needs for legal immigrants based on population growth and jobs and resources.
So, organizations like the Center for Immigration Studies (created by a racist, whose studies are linked a lot here) which advocate curtailing or even stopping legal immigration should shut their pie holes as well?

Last edited by huddledmasses; 06-20-2011 at 09:17 PM..

Old 06-20-2011, 09:27 PM

192 posts, read 91,410 times
Quote:
You are mixing apples and oranges here. There is no reason to believe that experts haven't researched our annual needs for legal immigrants based on population growth and jobs and resources. That has nothing to do with what our tax dollars are spent on. The biggest problem is all this family re-unification nonsense that isn't even included in our annual quotas which just increases the numbers allowed in here each year.
You're going to need a citation to support this claim, as I haven't heard of this before. I want to learn more. I was aware of the 1990 Immigration Act that set the number of immigrants at 700,000. Most of those seem to be allocated based on family reunification. Then some are given to skilled professionals, because apparently there aren't enough good white-collar American workers. And then there's the diversity lottery quotas, that actually exclude Mexico and China (and other places), but that favor African countries.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:29 PM

3,493 posts, read 2,385,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viridian Ideals View Post
Actually, there is very good reason to believe that the experts, or whoever formulated the policy were wrong as evidenced by the massive labor shortages Georgia is currently experiencing.

Also, it has everything to do with what we spend our tax dollars on, at least it seems to to several posters on this forum with all the belly aching about how big of a drain on the system they claim illegals are.
Low skilled high school drop outs who don't speak English are a drain on our tax dollars. They contribute very little in taxes because they earn very little. In the meantime because they earn so little they take a lot out of the system by using items like hospital services and education they cannot pay for. They need to go home. If a farmer wishes to import temporary labor then let him go through the proper channels.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:32 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,011,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huddledmasses View Post
...organizations like the Center for Immigration Studies (created by a racist, whose studies are linked a lot here) which advocate curtailing or even stopping legal immigration...
You left out that CIS "adjusts" information to make their points...

Old 06-20-2011, 09:37 PM

82 posts, read 73,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWookie47 View Post

Who would you let in? How do you decide? What should people do in order to qualify for legal immigration?
I can't see any point in population increase at this time.

My simple answer is that they need to find someone in the US who will trade places with them. That is to say they will swap citizenships, and perhaps memberships in things like state pensions and health plans.

It would probably make sense to be able to have A trade with B trade with C. A kind of citizenship marketplace could open with arbitrage possibilities.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:20 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Quote:
So, organizations like the Center for Immigration Studies (created by a racist, whose studies are linked a lot here) which advocate curtailing or even stopping legal immigration should shut their pie holes as well?
First off CIS wasn't created by a racist. It is only your biased opinion. No, anyone can have offer an opinion both anti's and pro's, however my point was that it was our government that determined what our annual quotas should be based on certain criteria and they have the final word.

Last edited by chicagonut; 06-21-2011 at 08:36 AM..

Old 06-21-2011, 09:20 AM

192 posts, read 91,410 times
Quote:
First off CIS wasn't created by a racist. It is only your biased opinion. No, anyone can have offer an opinion both anti's and pro's, however my point was that it was our government that determined what our annual quotas should be based on certain criteria and they have the final word.
Our government has also decided how many border agents we need, and how many people to allocate to deportation hearings. I guess those are enough? Someone somewhere in the government did a study and concluded that the current system is ideal. The government says that's enough, so I guess that's that.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:03 AM

951 posts, read 616,793 times
Quote:
First off CIS wasn't created by a racist. It is only your biased opinion
My opinion that the racist created the organization or that he's actually racist? He associates with white supremacists, eugenicists, and takes donations from racist organizations to support his anti-immigration organizations. I'm sure he's not racist though.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:42 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Quote:
In that case, I suppose you also consider Janet Murguia, the leader of La Raza (NCLR) to be a racist. A couple of years ago, she sent a letter to Congress requesting a moratorium on legal immigration from Africa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or