Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 09:11 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,663,903 times

Advertisements

They are not assimilating.

Just walk into a walmart, Kmart or Target.
Or call your telephone or cable provider.

Press 1 for English
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 09:11 AM

5,299 posts, read 4,845,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
...First of all, what was the total number of Norwegian immigrants in comparison to today's immigration (both legal and illegal) from South of the border? The number absolutely dwarfs that of the immigration from Mexico and other Latino countries...

...So, yes, I would argue that these are different times and another reason to drop the comparison to immigration waves of the past.
If you are going to use an example, stick with it. Also use relevant ratios and comparisons. In context, the data shows remarkable similarities.

A third of the entire Swede population left their country for the United States. I am descended from a family of four Swede brothers, three left their homeland, one stayed. Ireland, for its small size, had comparable percentages that came here in relation to the Mexicans (foreign-born, both legal and illegal immigration) in the American population today.

Your context of a Mexican is one that is in the United States, but you try to apply generalizations to those still in Mexico. Take those stereotypes, and even the nationalities, out of the discussion. Illegal immigration is illegal immigration.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:18 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,210,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
I didn't say these immigrants are not assimilating as well as past immigrants. I said Latino immigrants do not assimilate as well as Asian, black and non-Hispanic white immigrants - which is straight from the article.
My mistake, then.

But clearly the study shows that they are assimilating BETTER than past waves of immigrants, correct? And I think you'd agree that many people here have claimed otherwise. I think you'd also agree that those past waves seem pretty well assimilated now.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:19 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,210,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
They are not assimilating.

Just walk into a walmart, Kmart or Target.
Or call your telephone or cable provider.

Press 1 for English
Who needs peer-reviewed, data-based research when we have anecdotes about K-Mart?

Old 06-24-2011, 09:21 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,312,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
If you are going to use an example, stick with it. Also use relevant ratios and comparisons. In context, the data shows remarkable similarities.

A third of the entire Swede population left their country for the United States. I am descended from a family of four Swede brothers, three left their homeland, one stayed. Ireland, for its small size, had comparable percentages that came here in relation to the Mexicans (foreign-born, both legal and illegal immigration) in the American population today.

Your context of a Mexican is one that is in the United States, but you try to apply generalizations to those still in Mexico. Take those stereotypes, and even the nationalities, out of the discussion. Illegal immigration is illegal immigration.
I stand by what I said. The reason that Hispanic immigrants both legal and illegal aren't assimilationg as the past immigrants did is because there are so many more of them in this country than any other national/ethnic group. They are colonizing rather than assimilating. That is why we need to return to diversity quotas, get these illegals out of our country and stop further illegal immigration dead in its tracks. I said nothing about Mexicans in Mexico.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:21 AM

192 posts, read 115,480 times
It's not even an anecdote. We're just supposed to imagine that if we walk into Wal-Mart, we'd find that Wal-Mart only accepts pesos, or something.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
I stand by what I said. The reason that Hispanic immigrants both legal and illegal aren't assimilationg as the past immigrants did is because there are so many more of them in this country than any other national/ethnic group. They are colonizing rather than assimilating. That is why we need to return to diversity quotas, get these illegals out of our country and stop further illegal immigration dead in its tracks. I said nothing about Mexicans in Mexico.
Except that the studies being done show that they are integrating, in a manner and at a rate comparable to past waves of immigrants.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:23 AM

951 posts, read 745,185 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
But clearly the study shows that they are assimilating BETTER than past waves of immigrants, correct? And I think you'd agree that many people here have claimed otherwise. I think you'd also agree that those past waves seem pretty well assimilated now.

lololol

Old 06-24-2011, 09:24 AM

5,299 posts, read 4,845,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWookie47 View Post
Did you read that article past the headline:

"...In fact, the report says there is evidence that today's immigrants are learning English faster than the last wave of people entering the U.S. at the start of the 20th century."
I can attest to this from my family, with residency in the United States less than four years, attaining English language use comparable to the native-born of the same age and education level...

Old 06-24-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huddledmasses View Post
lololol
But, dude, she's walked into a Wal-Mart. Her conclusions from that trip to buy a light bulb, some hand soap, a package of clothes hangers, and a twelve pack of Coke are irrefutable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration