U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 04:33 PM

82 posts, read 73,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viridian Ideals View Post
How do you feel about the use of land mines as a deterrent against illegal immigration?
You can certainly argue that wall to wall land mines, or more cheaply, a sniper every 1/4 mile or so, would result in less deaths than the current situation.

A few people would die via murder, and then the vast majority would cease trying...thus fewer deaths in desert crossings.

It's an interesting idea, but I doubt that public opinion would go for it. It's good of you to have an open mind, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 05:20 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,005,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRavenSpeaks View Post
You can certainly argue that wall to wall land mines, or more cheaply, a sniper every 1/4 mile or so, would result in less deaths than the current situation.

A few people would die via murder, and then the vast majority would cease trying...thus fewer deaths in desert crossings.

It's an interesting idea, but I doubt that public opinion would go for it. It's good of you to have an open mind, though.
And this really brings us to what I think we all know is the crux of the issue - when are the powers that be going to start talking about raping the families of those who cross over?

Sure, rape SEEMS bad, but we could be looking at an overall decrease in suffering here.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:29 PM

1,493 posts, read 2,580,947 times
Quote:
Two questions:
What is your best estimation of the number of illegal immigrants that are intent on killing, raping, robbing, maiming, and torturing Americans as a percentage?

Do you feel mutilation/death that a landmine would cause is an appropriate punishment for a person attempting to enter this country illegally?
I appreciate liberal views like you have. BTW, where do you live? My friend lost her job and needs a place to live and work. Mind if I send her your way? Clean record, just needs to use your place, utilities, computer, and food for a bit because she doesn't like where she lives now. I'll tell her to just sneak in quietly through a window or something.

I love the free world, and thanks for your understanding

Old 06-22-2011, 05:49 PM

403 posts, read 280,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRavenSpeaks View Post

Snipers might miss and then another illegal would be allowed to break the law, then where would we be? It would be anarchy.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:57 PM

403 posts, read 280,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitsshowtime View Post
I appreciate liberal views like you have. BTW, where do you live? My friend lost her job and needs a place to live and work. Mind if I send her your way? Clean record, just needs to use your place, utilities, computer, and food for a bit because she doesn't like where she lives now. I'll tell her to just sneak in quietly through a window or something.

I love the free world, and thanks for your understanding
Sure, as long as she doesn't mind the neighbors. They are extremely ignorant and will probably harass her and make up lies about her and try to intimidate her to move back in with you. They are really tragic and it's embarrassing to have to share a neighborhood with people who hold such hatefull regressive views, but we do get to openly mock them behind their backs and in front of their faces because often they aren't smart enough to pick up on it.

What's actually funny is that you think your proposition is even close to analogous to illegal immigration.

Old 06-22-2011, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Snipers might miss and then another illegal would be allowed to break the law, then where would we be? It would be anarchy.
The main value of the sniper would be to put more doubt in everyone's mind that they'll make it. I guess it's a pretty simple cost:benefit problem, some percentage of dying vs. the land of milk and honey.

The Israelis are really the ones to ask. Offhand, they are one of the few (only?) first world countries with the problem of keeping civilians out rather than in. Europe has a stretch of water, although that's of less value over time. Israel has an advantage over the US in that it tends to operate in it's own self interest, so that's one major difference between them and us.

To tell you the truth, it's surprising that some form of the military, national guard perhaps due to legal issues, isn't used on the southern border purely for practice if nothing else. Dealing with unruly people sneaking in, while not bugging the locals overmuch, would look to be perfect practice for the adventures in the Middle East.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:50 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,238,051 times
Quote:
Two questions:
What is your best estimation of the number of illegal immigrants that are intent on killing, raping, robbing, maiming, and torturing Americans as a percentage?

Do you feel mutilation/death that a landmine would cause is an appropriate punishment for a person attempting to enter this country illegally?
I dont like mines either, just keep illegals OUT and there wont be mines used.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:19 PM

47,316 posts, read 24,627,956 times
There should be no U.S. troops on either border.

Besides, U.S. troops can't do anything anyway on our border. The ones that are there are just observers.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
There should be no U.S. troops on either border.

Besides, U.S. troops can't do anything anyway on our border. The ones that are there are just observers.
You know, that's a good point. Why on earth would a country use it's military to protect it's borders?

In the US, you just declare all cross border movements as 'law enforcement' and, voila', you don't get to use the military. It's a misuse of Posse Comitatus, but what the heck, the Civil War gave us a 14th Amendment which is being stretched beyond recognition also.

I say we should only use the military to bomb random countries. It makes for better TV.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:48 PM

46 posts, read 19,036 times
I would suggest using interlocking trenches with machine gun cross fire in a system called dragon's teeth. We'll dig it along the border and call it the Rio Grande Line.

BUT WHAT IF THE IMMIGRANTS GO AROUND IT????

Last edited by Bing Blang Blaow; 06-22-2011 at 10:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or