U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2011, 01:37 PM
pvn

103 posts, read 42,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Genocide and stealing are two different things for God's sake!
But raping and stealing, same thing, right?

Old 06-23-2011, 01:37 PM

192 posts, read 91,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
Why should we invite those who come here just so they can be on public assistance?

Our immigration system is supposed to encourage the brightest and most skilled of their respective countries to come.
Were your ancestors the brightest and most highly skilled?

Old 06-23-2011, 01:38 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,005,007 times
Quote:
Why should we invite those who come here just so they can be on public assistance?

Our immigration system is supposed to encourage the brightest and most skilled of their respective countries to come.
Supposed to? If there are gaps in the labor market, laborers will be likely to come. If there are gaps in high tech industries, workers in those industries in other countries will be more likely to meet that demand.

There is a fundamental misunderstanding about the nature of economics when people say that the amount of labor competition is simply too much. Structural unemployment is indeed a problem, but when there are zero jobs for illegal immigrants, they WILL stop coming.

Old 06-23-2011, 01:38 PM
pvn

Quote:
Then they need to stay home! Our quotas for legal immigration are in place for good reason. You can't just come anyway if our quotas are filled. Geez!
Why don't YOU stay home? I have decided the "correct" number of people we need and sorry, but we don't need you. Just stay home.

Problem?

Old 06-23-2011, 01:40 PM
pvn

Quote:
Do you not recognize sarcasm when you see it? Or are you purposely playing a game here. I ended my post with this. You do know what that means, don't you?
OK, just so we're clear, you don't think Americans are entitled to jobs or scholarships?

If so, what was the point of that post you made?

Old 06-23-2011, 01:41 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,241,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWookie47 View Post
Were your ancestors the brightest and most highly skilled?
I should think so. They legally immigrated here.

Old 06-23-2011, 01:42 PM

192 posts, read 91,341 times
Quote:
I should think so. They legally immigrated here.
What did they do? Were they lawyers? Scientists? Inventors?

Old 06-23-2011, 01:47 PM
pvn

Quote:
If there is no legal way to come here than why do we take in one million a year? The thing is that we cannot take in all the immigrants that want to come here so we have to stick to our quotas so it doesn't negatively impact our own citizens. You cannot or should not come here illegally just because you don't fit into our annual quotas for legal immigrants. Our quotas are based on our employment needs also so no, legal immigrants are not taking jobs from Americans. They have to be paid just as much as an American worker unlike illegals that get paid at a cutrate wages.
If our quotas were actually based on "our" employment needs (I dunno, nobody asked me what my needs are) then the quotas would be sufficient to fill the needed jobs. But that's empirically not the case.

Illegals don't get paid at a cutrate wage just because they're illegal. They get paid less because they're willing to work for less.

Quote:
There is no imaginery line. All countries have defined borders and you know it. I know many Americans that use to be "lawn guys" before the arrival of cheap, illegal labor.
It doesn't matter if the line is "defined" or not, it's still imaginary. There's nothing "better" about a particular person because his mother was in location X when he was born vs. in location Y six feet to the south.

Quote:
It isn't about "owning" a job it is about our immigration laws that state that only legal workers can be hired and work in this country.
yes we all know what the law says. Nobody is disputing it.

But if a guy jumps through the hoops, he's still "taking a job from an american" isn't he?

Old 06-23-2011, 01:49 PM
pvn

Quote:
Nope, in the right context raping can mean the same as stealing. Tired of playing games yet?
OMG the irony here is ridiculous. You don't think using "rape" instead of "steal" is "playing a game"???

Old 06-23-2011, 01:52 PM
pvn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
You asked how this illegal immigrants' actions hurt anyone. In this case they took a scholarship at a publicly funded college that could have gone to a legal citizen.
But was that citizen entitled to it?

I went on vacation a few weeks ago. I decided to go to vancouver. My vacation dollars went to a Canadian hotel owner, those could have gone to a bed and breakfast owner in Seattle, but the Canadian guy gave me a pretty sweet deal. The sad part is nobody is really any better off because I just pocketed the savings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or