Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 03:18 PM

192 posts, read 115,511 times

Advertisements

My best friend is in journalism. He could have had that job. Instead, some illegal, who is a better journalist than my friend, took it away from him.

Old 06-22-2011, 03:35 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,317,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huddledmasses View Post
Should someone throw up the indentured servants stuff again so you can see all the teens from Europe that were sent here back in the day? Interesting you would rather have your kid stay with you and suffer since you most likely wouldn't be able nurture him in your current situation. Then, leave him to live in the same crappy situation you never got out of. Parental nurturing at it's finest.
First off, I can't speak for what dead people did long ago. My views would still be the same, however.

I wouldn't give birth to kids that I thought would suffer by remaining with me (the nuturing mother) in our own homeland or would have to live the life of a criminal in another country. Yes, parental nuturing at it's finest if that's what you think is best for the child.

Old 06-22-2011, 04:24 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,660 times
His story has no greater meaning. Most illegal aliens are Hispanic high school drop outs who are not fluent English speakers. Why should we change our immigration laws to meet their economic aims?

While I applaud this particular person's achievements, he's still broken numberous American laws including using forged documents to gain employment and driving without a license. A Pulitzer prize does not excuse or erase these crimes. His Phillipina mother created his problems. Let her fix them.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:00 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWookie47 View Post
My best friend is in journalism. He could have had that job. Instead, some illegal, who is a better journalist than my friend, took it away from him.
I wrote a similar comment on the Washington Post. Most likely an American journalist student was invited to interview with Mr. Vargas as well in the final round.

This American student probably was so psyched to be interviewing at one of the nation's premier papers. Only to have their dreams dashed by an illegal who lied on an application and used fraudulant documents.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:23 AM

8,888 posts, read 5,369,571 times
I was all set to put this up, though my title would have been My Life as a Crook.

DH's wife can't get a job in journalism despite her degree. I see others in this thread tell similar stories. Why does this crook think we should be grateful to have him here taking a job from an American?

Old 06-23-2011, 09:25 AM

192 posts, read 115,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
I was all set to put this up, though my title would have been My Life as a Crook.

DH's wife can't get a job in journalism despite her degree. I see others in this thread tell similar stories. Why does this crook think we should be grateful to have him here taking a job from an American?
Well, if DH's wife can't find a job in journalism, my first advice would be to try writing as well as a illegal immigrant whose native language wasn't English but yet somehow managed to win a Pulitzer prize.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWookie47 View Post
Well, if DH's wife can't find a job in journalism, my first advice would be to try writing as well as a illegal immigrant whose native language wasn't English but yet somehow managed to win a Pulitzer prize.
I'd prefer for crooks to be treated as crooks, and for their enablers to be prosecuted for their crimes. It is illegal to employ someone you know is an illegal immigrant.

It would also be nice if those who wish to excuse illegals and their behavior come up with new soundbites. "They're doing jobs Americans won't do" seems to be getting old, not to mention inaccurate.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:50 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,210,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
I'd prefer for crooks to be treated as crooks, and for their enablers to be prosecuted for their crimes. It is illegal to employ someone you know is an illegal immigrant.

It would also be nice if those who wish to excuse illegals and their behavior come up with new soundbites. "They're doing jobs Americans won't do" seems to be getting old, not to mention inaccurate.
We've tried "the free movement of labor is economically beneficial," but that generally results in vacant stares.

Obviously our argument is that WE DON'T THINK THESE THINGS SHOULD BE ILLEGAL. Once again you have made "it's illegal" your primary argument for why it should be illegal.This would be embarrassing in any other debate, but it's so common in this one that you don't seem to even notice.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
We've tried "the free movement of labor is economically beneficial," but that generally results in vacant stares.

Obviously our argument is that WE DON'T THINK THESE THINGS SHOULD BE ILLEGAL. Once again you have made "it's illegal" your primary argument for why it should be illegal.This would be embarrassing in any other debate, but it's so common in this one that you don't seem to even notice.
Actually I think those who wish to excuse criminal behavior shy away from mention that the activity is criminal. Look at the title of this sob story .... my title would have been My Life as a Crook. Yet they utilize the current nonsense of illegal alien enablers being referred to as "undocumented." BTW, that isn't the case. This crook was documented, his documents were forgeries. I guess forgery is also OK?

Old 06-23-2011, 10:01 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post

The free movement of labor may work in a empire setting but it sure as heck is not going to work by allowing 7 billion people to have access to our country. It would be a race to the bottom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration