Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 11:43 AM

8,886 posts, read 5,368,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
Who has his crime harmed, exactly? Surely there are some actually damaging crimes you should be concerned about.

As has been pointed out, you are not frothing at the mouth over jaywalkers, but they are violating the law.
"But when I finally told Pat and Rich about my immigration “problem” — as we called it from then on — they helped me look for a solution. At first, they even wondered if one of them could adopt me and fix the situation that way, but a lawyer Rich consulted told him it wouldn’t change my legal status because I was too old. Eventually they connected me to a new scholarship fund for high-potential students who were usually the first in their families to attend college. Most important, the fund was not concerned with immigration status. I was among the first recipients, with the scholarship covering tuition, lodging, books and other expenses for my studies at San Francisco State University."

So the citizens of California footed the bill for this illegal immigrant?

A legal American didn't get a scholarship?

Old 06-23-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvn View Post
So jaywalkers... jail em? Deport em? Two MPH over the speed limit, how much jail time? Cut the tag off a mattress, throw the book at em!
I thought we were discussing illegal immigrants.

pvn

103 posts, read 55,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
"But when I finally told Pat and Rich about my immigration “problem” — as we called it from then on — they helped me look for a solution. At first, they even wondered if one of them could adopt me and fix the situation that way, but a lawyer Rich consulted told him it wouldn’t change my legal status because I was too old. Eventually they connected me to a new scholarship fund for high-potential students who were usually the first in their families to attend college. Most important, the fund was not concerned with immigration status. I was among the first recipients, with the scholarship covering tuition, lodging, books and other expenses for my studies at San Francisco State University."

So the citizens of California footed the bill for this illegal immigrant?

A legal American didn't get a scholarship?
Where does it say the scholarship fund was funded by tax dollars?

Regardless, what difference does that make or how does that answer the question?

192 posts, read 115,511 times
Those legal Americans should have had higher potentials, imo.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:46 AM
pvn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
I thought we were discussing illegal immigrants.
Here's what you said:

Quote:
I am primarily mad because he is a crook
Are jaywalkers not crooks? Are speeders not crooks? Don't you care about THE RULE OF LAW? Won't society completely fall apart if we don't stamp out this BLATANT FLOUTING OF OUR PRECIOUS LAWS?

Old 06-23-2011, 11:47 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,316,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sackaroni View Post
If 7 billion people came to the US, I'd make a ton of $$ on my property and buy some of that sweet newly abandoned shoreline property in the Mediterranean.
Yeah, and you would probably need to move there since all of our natural resources and taxes would be sucked dry not to mention what 7 billion people would do to our limited space and all the demands on our social infrastructures. There would be so much culture clash that we would have an all out bloody civil war. But just as long as YOU make money, right?

Last edited by chicagonut; 06-23-2011 at 12:19 PM..

Old 06-23-2011, 11:48 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,210,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
So no country should be allowed to have immigration laws, or only this one? First off, if you don't like the laws then seek change to them but in the meantime they must be obeyed by both citizen and foreigner but that isn't happening!
All countries should be and are ALLOWED to have immigration laws. I would prefer if those laws were designed to allow for the highest amount of mobility between nations possible. I know you guys keep wanting to catch us holding higher standards for the U.S., but that is not the case.

I understand the arguments for enforcing laws that are on the books, but I believe that there are a wide variety of laws that are either so damaging, so silly, or so otherwise cumbersome that enforcement is the worse option. I believe you'd agree that jaywalkers should not be aggressively pursued by law enforcement, so you agree with the essence of what I am saying.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:48 AM
pvn

Quote:
Yeah, and you would probably need to move there since all of our natural resources and taxes would be sucked dry not to mention what 7 billion people would do to limited space and all the demands on our social infrastures. There would be so much culture clash that we would have an all out bloody civil war. But just as long as YOU make money, right?

Old 06-23-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvn View Post
No, YOU and the other nosy busybodies have decided to make it "your business" because you're a nosy busybody. Nothing I've done in that case is legitimately your business.
Ah the melodrama .... I have no power to enforce current immigration laws, other than report you.

Hopefully your employees aren't also collecting public assistance, because if I'm paying for it it is my business.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:49 AM

22 posts, read 11,297 times
Quote:
First off, if you don't like the laws then seek change to them...
But fully expect to be met with cries of "you can't change the law, because it's the law! And your arguments about why it should be changed could never trump it's righteousness as the current law!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration