U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 08:34 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BannedInTheUSA View Post
They need to get back to the border, get screened, and pick up their visa like everybody else. After giving them an easy way to immigrate legally, and some time to comply, then I'd have very little sympathy for anybody here illegally.
No, they need go back over the border to their homelands and wait their turn like everybody else. If they don't fall within our annual quotas then migrating here is out of the question, period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 08:40 PM

19 posts, read 12,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
No, they need go back over the border to their homelands and wait their turn like everybody else. If they don't fall within our annual quotas then migrating here is out of the question, period.
Because X is the magic number your all mighty government overlords have come up with and X+1 is disaster. All hail the government, they never get stuff wrong. Blah, blah, meow chow.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Because X is the magic number your all mighty government overlords have come up with and X+1 is disaster. All hail the government, they never get stuff wrong. Blah, blah, meow chow.
And of course your desire for more "immigrants" is based on what? Our high unemployment rates? Yeah, that makes sense. Our government has panels of experts that determine these things. They aren't wrong about everything. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if in the future they lower that number to under a million based on our shortages of jobs and resources. Obama is just trying to ge re-elected and thinks the Hispanic vote will do it for him. He couldn't be more wrong.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
And of course your desire for more "immigrants" is based on what? Our high unemployment rates? Yeah, that makes sense. Our government has panels of experts that determine these things. They aren't wrong about everything. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if in the future they lower that number to under a million based on our shortages of jobs and resources. Obama is just trying to ge re-elected and thinks the Hispanic vote will do it for him. He couldn't be more wrong.
Real original take you have there.

Government:
Omnipotent when I agree with them.
Couldn't be more wrong when I don't.

There have been a ton of studies linked in other threads about the economic impact of immigration, and it's about a wash. If you go back and read what tinman was responding to, it was a scenario I drew up in a past life (anyone who disagrees with you gets bizarrely banned, so I don't expect this post to be around long) about legalizing the guys here to make us safer and raising incentives for them to stay in their home country. If you have more specific questions on that, other than railing against some president I didn't vote for and probably never will, then feel free to direct them this way.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:21 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,005,127 times
Whoa whoa, no need to agree that it's a wash, pretty sure Cato has illegal immigration coming out as a bonus for the economy.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:26 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,237,724 times
Quote:

Government:

There have been a ton of studies linked in other threads about the economic impact of immigration, and it's about a wash. If you go back and read what tinman was responding to, it was a scenario I drew up in a past life (anyone who disagrees with you gets bizarrely banned, so I don't expect this post to be around long) about legalizing the guys here to make us safer and raising incentives for them to stay in their home country. If you have more specific questions on that, other than railing against some president I didn't vote for and probably never will, then feel free to direct them this way.
Ok.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
Whoa whoa, no need to agree that it's a wash, pretty sure Cato has illegal immigration coming out as a bonus for the economy.
You're right, i should have said "at worst it's about a wash".

Old 07-01-2011, 01:54 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Quote:
Immigration can be good but it should be about getting people who truly desire to become part of American society their chance to do so.

It should not be about getting the elites their unlimited numbers of ultra cheap servants and large impoverished class so that wages can be lowered to far lower than liveable wages, and it should not be a get-rich-scheme for those who can never assimilate or have no desire to do so. It should also not be used as a way for other countries to avoid social reforms and ridding their large impoverished classes by dumping them into the USA.

Immigration should be orderly and fair. Immigrants should be able to receive legal wages and standard job benefits, and should not be a burden on taxpayers in any way. Employers and others who feel they need to bring in immigrants should pick up the whole costs of their immigrants, including health insurance.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:47 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoltronFlyer View Post
Id say that people that are willing to risk life and limb on a border crossing have demonstrated a true desire to become a part of American society.
I wouldn't say that. I think they demonstrate a true craving for American dollars but that's about it.

Many of those have left behind wives and children and it's not a good situation any way you look at it.

Why wouldn't you prefer enforcement of immigration laws and if someone wishes to hire immigrants, they must provide them a work visa -- sure that might cost them a little and they might have to pay minimum wage but their immigrants could come here legally and safely.

Why do you promote the dangerous crossings, the smuggling of illegals by dangerous criminals, the coming over in unventilated semi-trailers and box cars? Is your need for dirt cheap servants that high?

Of course employers looking for cheap labor don't mind if their lowly peons face danger - they only care how cheap they are. But if laws were enforced then in order to bring in foreign workers, employers would have to do so legally - which is much safer for the workers.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:04 AM

Quote:

Government:

This isn't about the economic impact of "legal" immigration. It is about the negative impact of "illegal" immigration in massive numbers. There is no reason to believe that we need the illegals that are here already based on our high unemployment rates today. Evidently, you are fully prepared to deny all the viable stats out there showing their negative impact on American jobs, resources and taxes. Population growth is another concern of most sane Americans and uncontrolled immigration either legal or illegal does nothiing to contain that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or