U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 02:43 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Under chicagonut's definition, any portion of indigenous or African-American blood would make a White "mixed race". Factors of religion (or lack thereof) are not defining either. On July 4th, what is a universal, nationwide "American culture"?
No, under any sane person's definition and genetic studies would acknowledge that if someone isn't just of one race they are of "mixed race" then. You find that a negative? I certainly don't.

If you don't know what our identifying culture and language is then I really don't know what to say to you. You are confusing minority cultures and langauges in this country with our identifying one. Why do you do that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2011, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
What's wrong with being America-ethno-centric?

Just like Mexico, we have a language and culture - and a people. Our people speak English, are culturally American.

Almost no country is just one ethnic group or even race including the hispanic countries but they obviously can claim to have a language and culture. So can we.
I guess it is not allowed where the populace is majority white.

Old 07-04-2011, 03:16 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,009,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I guess it is not allowed where the populace is majority white.
It's no longer majority "White", but almost everyone of "mixed race" at this point. We're all intermingled so much, and defining a United States culture as "White" no longer applies. There is no no universal "culture" that is present everywhere in the United States.

Old 07-04-2011, 04:15 PM

Quote:
It's no longer majority "White", but almost everyone of "mixed race" at this point. We're all intermingled so much, and defining a United States culture as "White" no longer applies. There is no no universal "culture" that is present everywhere in the United States.
From the CIA World Fact Book: Ethnic groups of the United States:

white 79.96%, black 12.85%, Asian 4.43%, Amerindian and Alaska native 0.97%, native Hawaiian and other Pacific islander 0.18%, two or more races 1.61% (July 2007 estimate)

https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...k/geos/us.html

We have an identifying culture and language in this country whether you want to admit it or not. Hint...it isn't Hispanic nor is it the Spanish language. They are just another minority culture in this country.

Old 07-04-2011, 06:26 PM

From that same CIA World Fact Book link:

a separate listing for Hispanic is not included because the US Census Bureau considers Hispanic to mean persons of Spanish/Hispanic/Latino origin including those of Mexican, Cuban, Puerto Rican, Dominican Republic, Spanish, and Central or South American origin living in the US who may be of any race or ethnic group (white, black, Asian, etc.); ABOUT 15.1% OF THE TOTAL US POPULATION IS HISPANIC.

Old 07-04-2011, 07:53 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,009,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
From the CIA World Fact Book: Ethnic groups of the United States:

white 79.96%, black 12.85%, Asian 4.43%, Amerindian and Alaska native 0.97%, native Hawaiian and other Pacific islander 0.18%, two or more races 1.61% (July 2007 estimate)...
But by your definition, "Blacks" and "Asians" with some "White" genetics are "mixed race". By the same token, "Whites" having trace blood amounts from other races, including from Native Americans, are also "mixed race". You applied your definition to Mexico, why not use it here in the United States too?

In discussions with my wife, she has denied anything but White Spanish genetics. I can't trace her ancestry as well as I can mine, but my French Canadian line appears to make me "mixed race", where she claims to be "White". So we have an "interracial" marriage after all.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:35 AM

Quote:
But by your definition, "Blacks" and "Asians" with some "White" genetics are "mixed race". By the same token, "Whites" having trace blood amounts from other races, including from Native Americans, are also "mixed race". You applied your definition to Mexico, why not use it here in the United States too?

In discussions with my wife, she has denied anything but White Spanish genetics. I can't trace her ancestry as well as I can mine, but my French Canadian line appears to make me "mixed race", where she claims to be "White". So we have an "interracial" marriage after all.

You are confusing race with ethnicity. The CIA stats are about ethnic groups rather than race as I already pointed out.

The French are usually white genetically so what are you talking about? Even the Spanish are usually white gentically. Maybe you need to look to the census as to what defines the different races (genetics). You are mixing apples with oranges here.

Your wife can deny all she wants to. If she has something besides white in her genetics she is indeed of mixed race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or