U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 03:16 PM

2,798 posts, read 5,364,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
Wow, seems so roundabout! Surely someone could come up with a system for keeping tabs on these monsters that is more effective than this.
I wouldn't refer to them as monsters. They are still human beings. But it doesn't negate the fact that they are coming here illegally, and then using illegal or deceitful methods to remain here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 03:20 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,006,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
I wouldn't refer to them as monsters. They are still human beings. But it doesn't negate the fact that they are coming here illegally, and then using illegal or deceitful methods to remain here.
Agreed that they are here illegally. I actually expand this line of thought into more everyday situations. On the way to work this morning I gave a 40 minute lecture and a series of informational leaflets to a jaywalker, who, after all, was on my side of the street illegally. Probably on his way to a job that could have just as easily gone to someone who obeys street signs more rigorously.

Old 06-22-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWookie47 View Post
Didn't the landlord get what was coming to him, renting to an illegal? You really think the landlords need to be fined on top of putting up with that mess?
No, because the landlord's hands are often tied in this matter when the applicant can provide identification provided by the Mexican consulate and someone to vouch for their employment, like an employer who is paying them under the table but states on the co-signed paperwork that they will be paying the applicant's rent via check. Also, quite a few churches act as co-signers to get them into apartments. All that is required is that ONE of the applicants be a citizen, and this includes co-signers, who are treated as applicants. Landlords really hate this, which is why they will use other, legally accepted methods to try and discourage illegals from renting.

Old 06-22-2011, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Agreed that they are here illegally. I actually expand this line of thought into more everyday situations. On the way to work this morning I gave a 40 minute lecture and a series of informational leaflets to a jaywalker, who, after all, was on my side of the street illegally. Probably on his way to a job that could have just as easily gone to someone who obeys street signs more rigorously.
Moot point.

Old 06-22-2011, 03:26 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,155,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huddledmasses View Post
Which is just another reason to give them legal status.
Oh yeah, that's a great reason! Let's ignore all the rest of the negatives.

Old 06-22-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Ridiculously, bad analogy.

Old 06-22-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Oh yeah, that's a great reason! Let's ignore all the rest of the negatives.
That is what us bleeding hearts will just never understand.

Even aside from the problems that would be solved by legalizing illegals, such as them not paying taxes, being difficult to keep track of, and BEING ILLEGAL OMG, there are tons of reasons to not have them here legally. Such as stealing American jobs. Or something. They'd definitely be stealing something.

Old 06-22-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Wow, seems so roundabout! Surely someone could come up with a system for keeping tabs on these monsters that is more effective than this.
Quite the spinmaster, aren't you?

192 posts, read 91,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
No, because the landlord's hands are often tied in this matter when the applicant can provide identification provided by the Mexican consulate and someone to vouch for their employment, like an employer who is paying them under the table but states on the co-signed paperwork that they will be paying the applicant's rent via check. Also, quite a few churches act as co-signers to get them into apartments. All that is required is that ONE of the applicants be a citizen, and this includes co-signers, who are treated as applicants. Landlords really hate this, which is why they will use other, legally accepted methods to try and discourage illegals from renting.
And these citizen cosignatories to the rental agreement, they're completely untrackable, too? I mean, isn't that the point of a co-signer? To have someone reputable to go after if the dodgy person skips out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Ridiculously, bad analogy.
Another soft on crime type, I see? Jaywalking is ILLEGAL, good sir. ILLEGAL. No matter what you think needs to be done about jaywalking, we should all be able to agree that the laws should be enforced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or