Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 12:17 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,638,174 times

Advertisements

Most Favor Immigration Police Checks, Tough Sanctions on Those Who Hire or Rent to Illegal Immigrants

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 03:51 PM

2,855 posts, read 6,461,362 times
Those of us in California who favor tougher sanctions will be looking to move to Alabama, Georgia or other states following this pattern.

Old 06-22-2011, 03:54 PM

2,788 posts, read 5,078,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Most Favor Immigration Police Checks, Tough Sanctions on Those Who Hire or Rent to Illegal Immigrants

Rent? If they are paying with their own money.....they are paying the rent not me or you...

Old 06-22-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgirl27 View Post
Rent? If they are paying with their own money.....they are paying the rent not me or you...
Doesn't matter. If they are here ILLEGALLY landlords have no legal recourse through the courts to to sue for damages if the illegal alien tenant destroys the property or doesn't pay rent and then runs off. There is no way to track them down and make them pay.

I'm a former onsite resident apartment manager. Did my time in Van Nuys, California.

Old 06-22-2011, 04:01 PM

951 posts, read 742,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
Doesn't matter. If they are here ILLEGALLY landlords have no legal recourse through the courts to to sue for damages if the illegal alien tenant destroys the property or doesn't pay rent and then runs off. There is no way to track them down and make them pay.

I'm a former onsite resident apartment manager. Did my time in Van Nuys, California.

Which is just another reason to give them legal status.

Old 06-22-2011, 04:05 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,206,234 times
Quote:

If only there was some way to make them easier to track and legally accountable. I mean, hasn't SOMEONE thought of some kind of status we could bestow upon them to erase problems like these?!!? HOW COULD IT BE THAT NO ONE HAS?!?!!?!!

Old 06-22-2011, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
If only there was some way to make them easier to track and legally accountable. I mean, hasn't SOMEONE thought of some kind of status we could bestow upon them to erase problems like these?!!? HOW COULD IT BE THAT NO ONE HAS?!?!!?!!
Too many anti-discrimination housing laws on the books to do much about it. If they use a card provided to them through the Mexican consulate that doesn't really help because the consulate will protect them. All an official has to say is "we don't know where they are." All a landlord can do is to make it difficult for them in a LEGALLY approved manner, such as requiring up to double the normal security deposit, based on the fact that they have no credit history that can be checked in this country. Or, maximum occupancy rules can be establish, like no more than 3 people in a one bedroom or 5 people in a two-bedroom apartment.

Old 06-22-2011, 04:12 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,777,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Except for approximately 535 (give or take a few) on that round hill near the Potomac and the regime in the Casa Blanca!

Old 06-22-2011, 04:14 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,206,234 times
Quote:
Too many anti-discrimination housing laws on the books to do much about it. If they use a card provided to them through the Mexican consulate that doesn't really help because the consulate will protect them. All an official has to say is "we don't know where they are." All a landlord can do is to make it difficult for them in a LEGALLY approved manner, such as requiring up to double the normal security deposit, based on the fact that they have no credit history that can be checked in this country. Or, maximum occupancy rules can be establish, like no more than 3 people in a one bedroom or 5 people in a two-bedroom apartment.
Wow, seems so roundabout! Surely someone could come up with a system for keeping tabs on these monsters that is more effective than this.

Old 06-22-2011, 04:15 PM

192 posts, read 115,041 times
Quote:

Didn't the landlord get what was coming to him, renting to an illegal? You really think the landlords need to be fined on top of putting up with that mess?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration