U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 05:23 PM

18,563 posts, read 15,771,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Many of the people I see, including my wife, are conservatives that absolutely refuse to vote Republican because of the way Republicans are handling the immigration issue.
I'm Black voted Dem since I became an adult. Voted for Gore, Kerry and Obama and numerous Dem Senators, Reps and mayors. I will not vote for a Dem again because of their permissive attitude towards what I feel is an issue that is having a disastrous impact on the Black community and this country.

I'm curious does your wife think anyone who wants to come here should be able to do so? There are 7 billion people in the world where would she draw the line? At a billion? Only Mexicans?

Would she support millions of Haitians being dumped in Mexico City or wherever she is from? After all they are a lot poorer than Mexicans and would do the menial work. Are some in the GOP racist, you bet but they are also many Dems who are as well.

What exactly has the GOP done wrong on this issue besides not caving and turning our country to a free for all for anyone who can finagle their way here?

Old 06-22-2011, 05:28 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWookie47 View Post
Well, you asked. I mean, it's inarguable that the early American economy boomed under slavery, and the South fought tooth and nail to maintain that economic advantage.
Right, slavery and a mostly white America. Later Asians came and other ethnic groups to help build America but white America played a large role in the building of this country, like it or not. It didn't get done by laziness and today still we have a large blue collar workforce with many white Americans doing those jobs along with other racial groups.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:28 PM

28,906 posts, read 45,202,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I'm Black voted Dem since I became an adult. Voted for Gore, Kerry and Obama and numerous Dem Senators, Reps and mayors. I will not vote for a Dem again because of their permissive attitude towards what I feel is an issue that is having a disastrous impact on the Black community and this country.

I'm curious does your wife think anyone who wants to come here should be able to do so? There are 7 billion people in the world where would she draw the line? At a billion? Only Mexicans?

Would she support millions of Haitians being dumped in Mexico City or wherever she is from? After all they are a lot poorer than Mexicans and would do the menial work. Are some in the GOP racist, you bet but they are also many Dems who are as well.

What exactly has the GOP done wrong on this issue besides not caving and turning our country to a free for all for anyone who can finagle their way here?
You're absolutely right.

Because the preening nitwits who support illegal immigrants in this country never think for a moment how it affects the working classes in this country.

Three things to think about:

1. Right now, unemployment is 9.3%.
2. Add underemployment to that statistic, and the total is somewhere around 18%.
3. Working class wages have stagnated over the past twenty years.

And yet, we continue to allow illegal immigrants to cross the border unchecked and take jobs on factory floors and construction sites. What's more, with all this available manpower, there is an inevitable downward pressure on wages. After all, the law of supply and demand kicks in.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
"Many of the people I see, including my wife, are conservatives that absolutely refuse to vote Republican because of the way Republicans are handling the immigration issue".

I've made this exact point over and over again on this board: the GOP's nativism and latent racist attitudes toward Hispanics costs them what should be a natural voting block. Bush and Rove, to their credit, got this- their efforts to put together immigration reform were derailed by the troglodytes in their own caucus (with the help of monkey-wrench tossing Dems )

With the obvious trends from the 2010 census, the problem will grow worse for the GOP, till it decides to pull its head out.

Meanwhile, as a Dem, I say "Keep it up, guys" Lookin' forward to a "blue" Texas!
What racist attitudes do Republicans have against Hispanics? You mean they are racist because they don't want yet another failed amnesty, they want our borders secured and our immigration laws enforced? How is that racist?

Old 06-22-2011, 06:06 PM

192 posts, read 91,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
What racist attitudes do Republicans have against Hispanics? You mean they are racist because they don't want yet another failed amnesty, they want our borders secured and our immigration laws enforced? How is that racist?
Because they don't see an issue with the original text of the AZ immigration law that would allow police to stop and detain anyone they suspected of being an illegal immigrant, which would inevitably include Hispanic citizens walking down the street without ID on them, even if that person were not stopped for breaking any other law.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:18 PM

15,924 posts, read 16,850,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
the reason why i target whites is because most of the time its them that will turn down menial hard labor jobs like this, with there nose high in the sky. "im too good for this, this work is beneath me"
This post is about as racist it can get....

Old 06-22-2011, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Because they don't see an issue with the original text of the AZ immigration law that would allow police to stop and detain anyone they suspected of being an illegal immigrant, which would inevitably include Hispanic citizens walking down the street without ID on them, even if that person were not stopped for breaking any other law.

This where you go wrong. In the Az law racial profiling was prohibited. The police were not allowed to stop anyone arbitrarly to check immigration status. The only way someone could be questioned is during a lawful stop (infraction of a traffic law for example) and even then if one can produce a valid DL then no further questions about status in this country would arise. I would suggest that everyone carry I.D. with them at all times to avoid any inconviences and in case you are in an accident you can be identified.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:54 PM

192 posts, read 91,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
This where you go wrong. In the Az law racial profiling was prohibited. The police were not allowed to stop anyone arbitrarly to check immigration status. The only way someone could be questioned is during a lawful stop (infraction of a traffic law for example) and even then if one can produce a valid DL then no further questions about status in this country would arise. I would suggest that everyone carry I.D. with them at all times to avoid any inconviences and in case you are in an accident you can be identified.
In the original text of the law, the police were required to check the immigration status of anyone they suspected of being here illegally, even if they were not suspected of any other crimes. The law was amended before it was signed due to a huge backlash from the left so that now a person who the police detain and check has to have been stopped for at least a local ordinance, like playing music ever so slightly too loud, or having a dog bark.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:10 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,013,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
Ga. immigrant crackdown backfires - Reid J. Epstein - POLITICO.com

what do you know, white people dont want jobs that the mexicans and guatamelans had, even when they dont have a job.

i laughed at the convicts and probationers saying **** it and walking off after 30 minutes.

11,080 farm positions are open right now in georgia and these owners would go bankrupt if it wasnt for illegal immigrants working in the fields, because whites wont do that type of work, even if they are unemployed.

btw, im not in favor of illegal immigration.

its interesting though how people say all these jobs will open up, and they'll be scooped up quick because americans will do the jobs illegals do.

well thats not the case.

the sense of entitlement, especially upon whites, that i'm too good for this job, it doesn't make enough for me, even when they are unemployed, and parents who will let them sit at home all day and do nothing, is why this country continues to spiral around the toilet.

every person on unemployment in georgia should be out in the field working, period.
Their is really no probelm with visa to work such things. its the illegal entry that is the probelm really.that is what is coming just like mnay cross the border everyday to work legally now and always have.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:15 PM

Quote:
In the original text of the law, the police were required to check the immigration status of anyone they suspected of being here illegally, even if they were not suspected of any other crimes. The law was amended before it was signed due to a huge backlash from the left so that now a person who the police detain and check has to have been stopped for at least a local ordinance, like playing music ever so slightly too loud, or having a dog bark.
What would they base their "suspicion" on? The suspicion would arise only after they couldn't provide a valid I.D. just like I told you. The law was just revised for more clarity for those like you who tried to make it into a racial profiling issue when it never was in the first place!

Last edited by chicagonut; 06-22-2011 at 09:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration