U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2011, 02:28 PM

2,798 posts, read 5,361,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sackaroni View Post
Silly private sector employers, they think they are free to create hiring criteria to suit their office needs and better serve their customers. But no American should be discriminated against just because they personally lack the prerequisites on the job application!
Really? Is that how you see it? If this is the case, why did Affirmative Action come into play? Certainly that has disallowed private sector employers from making FAIR employee choices instead of being forced to meet a quota? The mere fact of having anti-discrimination laws in place takes away free hiring choice from employers. So, now that white Americans are suffering discrimination which prevents them from finding employment, what, if anything, is the government going to do about it? Or can only "people of color" be discriminated against based on race, color, language, religion, etc..?

Old 06-23-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Excellent post!
Thank you

Old 06-23-2011, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvn View Post
So it was a suggestion, not a demand? It seems like a pretty good suggestion to me. Shouldn't Americans be all about adapting to changing conditions so as to do BETTER than "everyone else"? Didn't you get all indignant when I suggested some Americans had a bloated sense of entitlement? BUt now you're saying the rest of the world should just roll over for Americans because... we're Americans!!!! If you don't want to learn Spanish DON'T. But don't complain when someone with more skills than you finds jobs you can't compete for.
Yes, but quite often here in California someone gets the job ONLY because they speak Spanish, even though they do not meet all the skills required, whereas those who DO have the skills are being turned away because they cannot speak a language which is foreign to our country.

Old 06-23-2011, 02:31 PM
pvn

103 posts, read 42,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
My daughter now has here own children in school who are being forced to learn Spanish.

Learning a non-English language should be optional and NOT mandatory!
Teach your kids whatever you want. Teach them 2+2=5. Then complain that nobody wants to hire them.

Old 06-23-2011, 02:33 PM
pvn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Have people here not noticed these new arrivals backing each other up with similar post counts and join dates?

I smell trolls.
Maybe you should BUILD A WALL. I didn't realize people who posted on the internet before were not allowed to post on this website. I assume you've got a documented procedure for people to follow if they want to post here?

Old 06-23-2011, 02:33 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
Because it's an advantage to know both, of course. I have a close friend who does business in LA. Now, you may feel like him learning Spanish is acquiescence, but he started learning it so that he could better attract clients, who want to feel as if their business partners are outgoing and interested in transacting.

You can't be denying that it's an advantage, right?
Hispanic-Americans know English so how is he attracting new clients by learning Spanish?

Old 06-23-2011, 02:34 PM

22 posts, read 8,676 times
Quote:
Really? Is that how you see it? If this is the case, why did Affirmative Action come into play? Certainly that has disallowed private sector employers from making FAIR employee choices instead of being forced to meet a quota? The mere fact of having anti-discrimination laws in place takes away free hiring choice from employers. So, now that white Americans are suffering discrimination which prevents them from finding employment, what, if anything, is the government going to do about it? Or can only "people of color" be discriminated against based on race, color, language, religion, etc..?
When did you run up against a law requiring private employers to require Spanish language? Or a law keeping you from learning Spanish? Or a law that says only people with more skin pigment than yourself can know Spanish?

You are not being discriminated against for being white. YOU ARE BEING DISCRIMINATED AGAINST FOR NOT HAVING THE REQUISITE SKILLS.

Old 06-23-2011, 02:35 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWookie47 View Post
I saw a car dealership that advertised "Si Parla Italiano" on their window. They should probably be deported for using an anti-American language.
Still twisting, spinning and exaggerating I see.

Old 06-23-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvn View Post
Teach your kids whatever you want. Teach them 2+2=5. Then complain that nobody wants to hire them.
So, you are implying that children who do NOT learn Spanish are dumber? How many Chinese children or adults do you hear speaking Spanish in this country? I don't hear any, but all that I have come in contact with speak English. The same can be said for Japanese, Iranian, Syrian, and other nationalities who have immigrated here. They don't bother to learn Spansih before immigrating here, but they do learn English. Wow! What a concept!

Old 06-23-2011, 02:37 PM
pvn

Quote:
Yes, but quite often here in California someone gets the job ONLY because they speak Spanish, even though they do not meet all the skills required, whereas those who DO have the skills are being turned away because they cannot speak a language which is foreign to our country.
How many people have you hired?

It's pretty rare to find someone that has ALL the required skills for any job. You make decisions based on information available. And I can think of a lot of cases where being bilingual provides a huge amount of benefits. It's a skill that takes a lot of investment to pick up, much more than learning how to use some goofy computer program.

Are you suggesting that business owners shouldn't be allowed to decide for themselves what skills are important for their employees to have? I mean these are employer decisions, right? It's not like Obama is getting all into their business and telling them to hire mexicans, is it? If it is I'd definitely love to hear that, but the information I have says it's just regular old business owners making their own decisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or